Kingpin Forum Index Kingpin
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software Status on Kingpin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingpin Forum Index -> General Kingpin Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Software Status on Kingpin? Reply with quote

I'm curious, what isn't done on Kingpin's Software? I've played it a bit on VPMAME but haven't really dug in too deep.

I know a bit about the board reproduction costs, and Gene told me he had looked into recreating the one custom chip on the board.

Anyone who's been in the code have any knowledge? I must say, it's an awesome soundtrack.

-Al-
Former BBB #95
Pins and Vids #4, A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
CraigC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd olson sez that it's complete.

argues with anyone who says it isnt.

-c
sellenoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Lloyd's game quite alot when I was there. Pics of the trip here:
http://pinmame.retrogames.com/steve/triptolloyds/index.html

I would say that while the code may be considered complete, it's very rough around the edges in my opinion. Kind of the way Cactus Canyon is also complete, but rough.

It could use some tweaks and bug fixes, and some refinement to make it truly amazing, but as it stands it's quite good already.

-Steve

CraigC wrote:
Lloyd olson sez that it's complete.

argues with anyone who says it isnt.

-c
sellenoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Status on Kingpin? Reply with quote

I'd love to get a look at the code and see what the state of it is.

I've offered to help Gene work on the code if he wants, as well as to help him work out the details of the custom chip by examinging the code, but other than a quick reply from Kim, haven't heard anything..

I'd also love to add some more stuff to BBB and release a custom IPB version of the software for us.

-Steve

awarner wrote:
I'm curious, what isn't done on Kingpin's Software? I've played it a bit on VPMAME but haven't really dug in too deep.

I know a bit about the board reproduction costs, and Gene told me he had looked into recreating the one custom chip on the board.

Anyone who's been in the code have any knowledge? I must say, it's an awesome soundtrack.

-Al-
Lloyd Olson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've argued in the past because some of the people that thought the software wasn't complete have never played a kingpin, or played a kingpin with everything working. I've played a couple and they had issues with the ramp optos and other switches in the rear not working, making it impossible to complete things.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:

Steve,

Mind if I mirror some of those pics on this forum?
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure go ahead.. just please keep the photo credits for me & LLoyd, thanks.

robertwinter wrote:
sellenoff wrote:

Steve,

Mind if I mirror some of those pics on this forum?
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things which I think are incomplete (based on playing it on VP):

1) The music while bribing the cops is completely different in style than any of the other music. It seems to me that this bit of music was not yet made at that point in time. It could be that Chris Granner meant this to be the final music, but in that case I don't like that choice. I really like all other music and sound in the game.

2) When you complete a mode, a kind of end-of-mode feature begins where one of the gangsters tries to get rid of you, so you have to try to kill him first. However, it is also possible to start another mode and the previous mode is just cancelled. The previous mode does not score anymore, and you never get the end-of-mode feature. In one game, I got to Kingpin and all the gang-members complained that I doublecrossed them or something like that. However, in that game I never completed any mode. Maybe this is also like it's supposed to be, but I feel this does not work very well. Either the mode should be finished before you can start a new one, or the modes should be stacked. It's the same as playing "Hit cousin It" on TAF for just 10 seconds because "Raise the dead" starts. Maybe I don't understand the rules and there is a completely logical explanation.

The software is completed enough to use it without any modifications. In fact I don't understand how the software could be that completed while the game was not even the next in line to be produced.

If IPB can reproduce Kingpin, then they should produce quite a lot of extra boards to use as spares for the other Capcoms. With a total of only about 3000 Capcoms produced, it would be a pity to have to destroy an Airborne or Pinball Magic, just to repare a BBB. *That* is what I like most about this project Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingpin Forum Index -> General Kingpin Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: