Kingpin Forum Index Kingpin
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kingpin gameplay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingpin Forum Index -> General Kingpin Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirklake13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Kingpin gameplay Reply with quote

Who has played this game? Please describe the gameplay. How much fun is it? Thanks.

captkirk
Latecomer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the pinmame version? I know its not "real", but does give a great feel for the theme.
CraigC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there better video than this out there?

http://pinmame.retrogames.com/steve/triptolloyds/index.html

very short and very few successful shots made.

-c
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, given that there aren't many of them and no responses, I guess I should respond, but not sure I will be of much help.

About 7 or 8 years ago I purchased my first couple of A list games from someone who had both a BBB and Kingpin (I'd only had one older beater before, so I was a novice). I didn't play them, but my cohort played both while we settled up, a game or two on each in the space of just 5-10 minutes. While it was explained to us that they were prototypes, never made, etc. etc., we just sort of checked them out in passing, had no idea what they were. Our host showed us some of the diagnostics and was talking about how he liked that aspect better than the Williams stuff of the time. My main recollection is that my cohort liked Kingpin better than BBB based on that brief encounter.

Then, winter of 05 there was an exhibit at a small college campus near Ann Arbor, "Pinball as Art". Small exhibit, some history, playfields, design drawings... and once again both a BBB and a Kingpin. I was in Detroit on business and looking to kill some time so I went out there one evening. This was shortly after I'd ordered BBB and I'd heard BBB was there. Several games were turned on and playable, BBB was not, Kingpin was. I played a few games. Never played it in pinmame (still haven't), so pretty much my first exposure to it, I just shot for the blinking lights. There are a couple of crossing ramps and the hotel shot on the left that are the main shots. IIRC you have to progress up the floors of the hotel by completing shots/modes, as opposed to BBB checking off the modes. I was also unaware of the flipper weakening/timed aspect and thought the game was messed up, can't even say how I got there but I had a couple of decent games and got on the board - I figure if you can keep the ball in play keep going! It's an older mobster theme, organized crime, so like BBB a little bit on the illicit side, which may be part of the appeal. I enjoyed the games, but then I enjoy playing most pins when it's a quickie. Takes me a while to get a feel for games and whether I want them as keepers, but I certainly wasn't walking away.

Bottom line is it made a decent impression, but I expect it will be like BBB, part of the allure is that there just aren't that many of them.

Sorry I can't offer tons of info, but my exposure was short & sweet, quite some time ago, and the idea that I'd ever have an opportunity to get one wasn't on the radar. But I've seen and played it, which is probably more than many can say.

Bernie
kirklake13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bernie, you gave me a "feel" for the game. I hope they are made again.

captkirk
sellenoff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:
Is there better video than this out there?

http://pinmame.retrogames.com/steve/triptolloyds/index.html

very short and very few successful shots made.

-c

That's cause the guy playing sux..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kingpin Forum Index -> General Kingpin Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: