Silicon Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine
The Site for Owners and Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replaced my monitor/touchscreen with an LCD touchscreen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cramcram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Replaced my monitor/touchscreen with an LCD touchscreen Reply with quote

If anyone is interested I can post details about converting my Odyssey to use an industrial grade 26" LCD touchscreen. Looks and works great. Biggest task was designing some hardware/firmware to translate between the touchscreen format that the Odyssey expects and the format used by my new screen.

Marc
dpeters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc
I'm very interested in how you converted to lcd touchscreen.
Don dpeters2021@gmail.com
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested as well. I've been thinking about trying to rig up a 15" LCD touchscreen onto my test rig.
cramcram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, to start off with, here's how I got a broken touchscreen in the first place.

I was laying a new hardwood floor in my game room. I didn't want to move all the pins out so I did one half then the other. Somewhere along the way pressure was applied to the hinged door bezel that goes around the monitor. There are some philips head screws that hold the external buttons in place and the head of one of them obviously pushed into the screen and crack.

Anyway, it's impossible (AFAIK) to get a new touchscreen with or without a monitor. However you can get touchscreens from several vendors in many sizes.

The original touchscreen used a Microtouch touchscreen, which is now owned by 3M: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MTouchSystems/TS/

The largest LCD + touchscreen they appear to make is 17". However it does appear you can get a 26" touchscreen only (for LCDs) for $437: http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49703200.htm

Add in $350 - $450 for a monitor and you're close to $1k. The good part about doing it this way is that the controller "probably" speaks the same older Microtouch dialect as the one in the Odyssey. You'd have to be certain that it has an RS-232 interface, not USB only. Also I'm not sure whats involved with mounting this onto a display.

Instead I chose to go with a monitor+touchscreen made by ELO (a division of Tyco). It is an industrial version, designed for mounting (as opposed to a consumer LCD). http://www.elotouch.com/Products/LCDs/2639L/default.asp

Specifically I got the E666761 version, which is acoustic wave, rather than capacitive like the original Odyssey monitor.

On the plus side the monitor just barely squeezes into the original monitor space, with plenty of room behind. In fact, the fit is so tight that only minimal monitor support is needed. I too the original monitor assembly bottom, mounted an aluminum stiffener plate to the bottom and another aluminum rail along the top so that the monitor bottom can't slide out. Aside from that, it is basically a press fit.

The big disadvantage is that the touchscreen speaks a different touch language. Thus I had to design/build a translator since no one seems to make one.

Not to bore you with details but I decided to do this task the hard way and learn something. I used an FPGA development board (think of it as LEGOs for digital logic) to create a "soft" microprocessor and then write code to do the translation between the two formats. The devel. board + extra RS-232 ports ran about $200 but I didn't have to actually build any hardware.

The only other steps are to build a cable to mate with the existing connector that goes to the monitor chassis and to actually mount the LCD panel.

I re-used the bottom plate in the existing monitor (its just riveted on) along with a stiffener. The monitor basically just sits on this plate, it physically can't go anywhere else.

It works and looks great. There is a gap on the right and left sides since the original monitor was curved and the new one is flat but this is easy to fill in. I no longer have issues with the touchscreen sometimes refusing to work unless the metal bezel "door" was open.

Anyone who wants to would be more than welcome to use my design files / code if they wanted to pursue this. You'd probably want some kind of EE background if you wanted to try this. If you did want to do this I could program the devel board for you as it requires a specialized programmer + the development software package to accomplish this.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any pics of the LCD in action? I'd love to see how it looks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: