Silicon Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine
The Site for Owners and Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Audio problems Reply with quote

This problem was submitted to me via email and I thought I'd post my response. Here's a snippet of the original problem -

I bought an Odyssey a year ago....and when I got home it would make crackling and buzzing sounds...especially during the loud passages of Eureka.... I put up with it because it happened occasionally....recently after not playing the machine for months because the noises became bothersome...I raised the unit unto a table by leaning it backwards and sliding it up...when I turned it on it produced very load buzzing and crackling...then died...no more sound. The games play fine....

It was suggested I try feeding a sound source directly to the speakers in case they fried...but we really think it's the amp...hopefully not the sound card. Do you have any ideas on how to analyze the sound system in order to find the source of the problem..I would appreciate your help on this. The seller says he has plenty of amps but no sound card.

This is my response -

First, verify that everything is plugged correctly and snugly. Both sets of speakers (the Odyssey should also work fine with only one set of speakers attached), audio amp, and audio cable from the top of the computer box. It could be that the audio cable into the computer is simply loose or has fallen out.

I'd then try changing the speakers. Those are usually the cause of crackling sound. I've personally never seen an audio amp go bad but sure it does happen. BTW, there is no sound "card" in the Odyssey. The sound section is part of the motherboard which in turn feeds the small amp, then on to the speakers.

My approach to further track down the problem would be as follows -

1. Unplug both sets of speakers (behind the top grill and in the belly door). Plug in either set and see if the problem persists. If so, unplug it and try the *other* set. If BOTH sets exhibit the same problem and you don't have a known good set of spare speakers, go to step 2. Otherwise try the known good speakers. If they crackle/distort, go to step 2. If not, the original set of speakers is bad.

2. This assumes you have good speakers. Plug in a set of computer speakers to the back of the motherboard. It's the same plug that goes in the back of a normal computer. It will be tricky to get to this connector since it's on the outside top of the computer box. But this is the only way to verify the motherboard sound is OK. If the computer speakers play fine, your audio amp board is defective. If not, you'll need to replace your motherboard.

I don't know a way to test the audio amp board directly other than the elimination of the speakers and the motherboard as being the problem.

Good luck and let me know if I can help further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: