Silicon Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine
The Site for Owners and Enthusiasts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odyssey Blues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackpot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Odyssey Blues Reply with quote

Hi Gentlemen, and Robert what a fine site you have built here, very nice and looks like a million. Well I am trying to fix an Odyssey, I have the manual and have been back and forth through it some. The code's on the bill door never change and read all 0's. It has the Tucson mother board, and a type II Peripheral Memory board with the digital two light up digits on it with will light up only 0.0. and those two never change. I know the two circuit breakers are OK on the A.C. power supply and because the hard drive clicks on power up, and the digit's light up on the peripheral memory board I believe the power supply is OK. I tried a full safe clear and it did nothing different, all 0's. I checked the mother board battery and it's 3 plus volts which means that is good. So, where do I go now? I do have some electronic boards and parts for it. almost a complete electronic box. What should I start with if I am going to swap boards? Any ideas what I should do next to get something out of this Odyssey code wise? Hope someone here can give me some direction.
Many Thanks
Rodger
Rolling Eyes
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, is the hard drive spinning up to speed, or only clicking?
Jackpot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert, yes I believe the hard drive is, when I am down by it and turn on the power supply I can hear it start and quickly increase speed for a bit and then hear some clicks like it's searching for information for a bit, or maybe it's the sound they make when they start up, I can hear the speed increase on start up. I do have another hard drive also. I understand this machine was working before it was shipped, when it arrived it didn't work. If I turn up the gain on the monitor I can see it has a blank screen but it does show light so it's working. Also when you shut the power off you get a quick flash of light from the monitor indicating the monitors high voltage circuit is OK. I haven't worried about anything else after that because it only gets all O's on the digital board in the bill door. Maybe this would be a good step by step learning experience for me and all Odyssey owners. I was thinking of swapping the SCSI controller board next because it's next in line after the hard drive, but that is my guess as I don't know what I am doing. I do work on slots but this PC based slot is all new to me. I also have a box of what, I am told is the total workings of a working odyssey that had a broken monitor, which is the electronic box complete with hard drive and cards, and the cabinet wiring all in a box. I was thinking of just changing out the whole electronic box as a unit and see what happens, but I would really like to trouble shoot the problem in this one so I could learn something about fixing these. So I should have boards to use for finding the problem with this machine. However I don't know what boards and what eproms will interchange. What do you think I should do next? Thank you, for your guidance if you are willing.
Rodger
jackpot7@ix.netcom.com
Very Happy
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, it's easier to troubleshoot parts if you have a working machine. There's a few things I would try before swapping out the E-box.

First, the drive spinning up and then making a few clicking noises is normal. It sounds like the drive might be OK. Sound as if the monitor is more than likely OK too. Even when Odysseys work, it's usually 20-30 seconds from power up before you see ANYTHING on the monitor.

If the game was supposedly working before it shipped, I'd start with reseating everything inside the E-box -
1. Remove the Psycho board and make sure all the chips are firmly seated in their sockets. Re-install the Psycho board.
2. SCSI controller
3. Memory on the motherboard
4. Power on the motherboard
5. Ribbon cable from SCSI controller to hard drive (both ends)

If that doesn't work, I'd swap out the entire E-box.
Jackpot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK-,

Sounds like a good plan of attack to me. on the Psycho II board , there is the dip switches on the edge, and then there is a slider switch that has something to do with flash memory? I guess it goes to P or A settings. Should this switch be up? I have had that board out once and have also unplugged the hard drive side of the ribbon cable once but not the card side. I'll post what I find out, when I can give this all a try. Tell me, are these games good games if you learn to know them, or are they trouble unless you get Lucky and get a good one, what is you thoughts on this?
Thank You
Rodger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Silicon Gaming Odyssey Slot Machine Forum Index -> Tech Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: