Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBB Neon Sign!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be interested in buying a BBB neon sign?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 40 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Depends on price
34%
 34%  [ 23 ]
I have a better idea (see post)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 66

jadziedzic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, I'd vote for "polo" style shirts, with the BBB logo on the front in the area where a pocket would be located on a collared shirt. White, purple, or black would be good colors for the shirts.

Tony
BBB #39
BBB94

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are all the awesome merchandising ideas that we have discussed over the months. I've been trying to figure out if I have the time & talent to tackle the shirts, mugs, glasses, etc., now that Bob and Steve (probably) won't be doing it. I was going to call Gene once I figured out if I thought I could manage it. If I did do it, I would do it based on pre-orders and probably try to get IPB/PMI to handle distribution at a minimum. I would contribute my time and would and charge little or no mark-up - I'm not looking to make money on the deal, and thus don't want to take on much if any risk.

Kim, many months ago I mocked up a bunch of BBB merchandise using a graphics program and emailed them to Steve and Bob, I think they showed them to Gene (& the rest of you?). Could you see if it would be okay for me to post some of these and get people's opinions on them? Feel free to email or call me if needed. I can also email them to you if you guys need to see them (again?) before deciding.
Swann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBangJoe, there's special repair shops for Neon signs (also here in Europe, but more expensive then in the US (as everything... *sigh* )), they can fill them up and repair damages also, so Neon-sign's isn't like modern buy-use-toss away thingy's.

so if your CV or SWE1 neon has problems, you don't need to buy a new neon, it's fixable!
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love neon signs. I have about 10 in my gameroom.

Two of which are pinball related. Custom "FunHouse" Clock with "FunHouse" on top and "Come on in" below, done in yellow neon. I cut a Funhouse translight for the cenetr. It looks awesome.

My other clock is done with Twilight Zone colors. Quite different and very cool too.

I would be very interested in BBB neon.

I too think they could be easily shipped in the BBB cabinet safely.

Great idea...Thanks.

Kerry Richard #111
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swann wrote:
BigBangJoe, there's special repair shops for Neon signs (also here in Europe, but more expensive then in the US (as everything... *sigh* )), they can fill them up and repair damages also, so Neon-sign's isn't like modern buy-use-toss away thingy's.

That's good to hear. Now I definately want one, as long as the price is reasonable (meaning: I want to pay a bit extra but not over-the-top extra)
Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love neon, I want an sign if they are made. Count me in. I would be interested in other BBB items as well.

Tim Knight
greg_888

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim
l know your flat chat at the moment but
did anything come of this idea
BBB94

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I think I voted "Depends on price" - what that really meant was that I don't have the wall space, but if the price is attractive enough, I'll HAVE to find the wall space.

Obviously a lot of people want Neon to happen. To that end, I will try to follow up on this (perhaps parrallel to the other polls). I do have some ideas about this based on peoples comments, and seem to recall seeing "Neon" morph functions in some image editing software. I will try to get around to coming up with some concept images - unless someone beats me to it. Hint, hint.

Here are the ideas that I think would be the coolest (and once there are associated images to post to facilitate the voting, I will do a poll):

1) Planet, Rings, and "Big Bang Bar" - red and yellow (backglass, side art style colors)
2) Planet, Rings, and "Big Bang Bar" - blue and green (apron style colors)
Option A:
A1) have backglass art as a backing for the neon.
A2) have side art as a backing for the neon.
A3) No backing art - see through, I guess (would this mean that the transformer would be visible?)
Option B:
B1) have a small analog clock incorporated
B2) have a small digital clock incorporated
B3) No clock

What other design options, considerations do we have?

My thought is maybe 30" wide. Is that on track? Maybe there needs to be a neon sign width poll (18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48). Too small and the words would be hard to read. Too big and its, well, too big.
mushroom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet, Rings, and "Big Bang Bar" - blue and green (apron style colors)
No backing art, and especially no clock (that makes it cheap IMO)
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: My Way to make the sign... Reply with quote

If I had my choice, I would make a light-up red sign with the rings in neon. It would be a 1/2 globe and be lit from behind with BIG BANG Bar on it. Then the rings would be yellow neon. I would think the size of the globe would be 10" across or so.

That's my idea.
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
blubboman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom wrote:
Planet, Rings, and "Big Bang Bar" - blue and green (apron style colors)
No backing art, and especially no clock (that makes it cheap IMO)

I think from talking to a local neon guy about a couple neon signs (although not this one), if he was making more than 10 or so as described above, each sign should be less than $400. He gives a discount if you buy multiples. He mounts the lamp onto clear plexiglass.

I assume you're putting all the letters in 'BIG BANG BAR' and the two rings in green, and a blue ring (planet) around to represent the planet.

I also like the idea of a red hemisphere with the rings in neon. I'm not sure where you get hemispheres (plexi?)
Swann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think yellow rings might look best (but with some photoshop example's I might change my point of view here)

A3. No backing art, but a red sphere to illustrate the planet (plexi?) would be nice. A question though, how would it (the sphere) be illuminated? *)

B3.

Actually think that the thoughest question to answer is size, guess here the maker of the neon have to give some input, do think they have knowledge and experience and can say how small you can have it and still get the letters well readable. 30" Sounds quite large, but then again, the sign shouldn't be too small either...

* If you could illuminate the red sphere in some clever way (from behind to get it evenly red) then the black lettering that says "Bar" could actually be unlighted and still readable, that would be cool! And then the text and the two rings are made in neon.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
awarner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Money is no object design... Reply with quote

I would think that the my concept would have to be vacuum formed and silk screened (but in the opposite order I guess). It's a rather costly idea though. I don't know the details as to how it would be made. I do this kind of dreaming with an engineer friend of mine and he comes up with the details to actually make stuff. I should ask his opinion on this...

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very quick draft of a blue/green version. Since I swiped it from an apron decal the two rings around the planet have more perspective than a simple arc of neon would have. You'd probably want an opaque white plexiglass background to improve the appearance.

Another option would be to have the blue ring be a opaque plexiglass circle.

Size-wise, the Big Bang part would probably be about 3-inch wide letters, with the Bar script about 2-inch wide letters; it's harder to go much smaller with a neon tube. That makes the entire thing about 30 inches wide.

I can whack up some samples of other color variations if it helps visualize the end result.

Tony

BBB #39
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, including the size calcs. The other color scheme would be nice to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: