Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is IPB's official stance on the selling of BBB rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlfun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: What is IPB's official stance on the selling of BBB rights? Reply with quote

I just noticed another post on RGP about reselling BBB rights. My initial impression from prior posts in this forum was that Kim and IPB made an exception for Bryan, and officially transferred his rights to another buyer. But I thought Kim's follow-up was that refunds would be given, but that the continuation of transfers would not.

In other words, everybody else would have to wait until the machine was built and delivered to them AND then re-sell it.

Mind you, I have NO intention of reselling at any point, but I want to know want the official rules are regarding assigning rights to BBB's already reserved.

Once again, I personally DO NOT intend to sell and I am thrilled with the current progress and the BBB team that has been assembled. But if somebody offered me CRAZY money, then what are the official guidelines?

Brian
Kronis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official guidelines are, you can't sell your "spot" to anyone in particular. Kim & co. have a waiting list, and will award your game to the top person on the list, after giving you a 100% refund.

If you were one of the "blue paper" sign-up folks, IPB/PMI stated that you could not resell the game immediately after delivery. That seemed unenforceable, and still does, but was probably one of the measures they took to ensure some rich joker didn't buy 20 BBB's as an investment and hoard/whore them all.

Bottom line- anybody who sells his game is a complete dumbass, after all this time, great effort, and in the end- a high quality Capcom pinball. Apologies to Bryan, or anyone else who might have to get a refund (no "crazy money" profit), due to need for funds.

BBB #21
awarner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene told me that 2 people had already sold thier machines (Bryan was one of them) for a decent profit. He also said that about 10 of them would prolly be up for sale after being delivered. He suspected the price of the machines would be about $10K. My guess would be $7.5K, but that's me.

#95 is NOT for sale...

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: BBB Reply with quote

I would think if anyone does not want their game then Gene should refund the money paid and let someone on the waiting list have one.

Or they can transfer at the purchase price only.

If anyone is entitled to make a profit it is Gene as I am sure the games cost more than what they are being sold for.
BBB93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: BBB Reply with quote

pinball-sales wrote:
I would think if anyone does not want their game then Gene should refund the money paid and let someone on the waiting list have one.

Or they can transfer at the purchase price only.

If anyone is entitled to make a profit it is Gene as I am sure the games cost more than what they are being sold for.

I gotta agree here. After Bryan sold his, Kim had asked that any future "sales" happen thru PMI. If a buyer wants out, contact PMI, they would refund your money and sell it to the next guy on the list. I don't know what price the guy on the list pays, nor would it be any of my business. If you want to take delivery on a game, then sell it, hey, thats fair game.
Bob Stemmler #93
bspins

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is IPB's official stance on the selling of BBB righ Reply with quote

atlfun wrote:
I just noticed another post on RGP about reselling BBB rights. My initial impression from prior posts in this forum was that Kim and IPB made an exception for Bryan, and officially transferred his rights to another buyer. But I thought Kim's follow-up was that refunds would be given, but that the continuation of transfers would not.

In other words, everybody else would have to wait until the machine was built and delivered to them AND then re-sell it.

Mind you, I have NO intention of reselling at any point, but I want to know want the official rules are regarding assigning rights to BBB's already reserved.

Once again, I personally DO NOT intend to sell and I am thrilled with the current progress and the BBB team that has been assembled. But if somebody offered me CRAZY money, then what are the official guidelines?

Brian

I don't think I was necessarly given an exception, I just happen to be the first one to sell mine. The buyer and I simply thought Georgie could put his name on BBB #123 instead of mine. Turns out, Georgie has her own way of doing the paperwork, which I can now understand, and it was a bit of a hassle for her and I'm sure she doesn't feel like having to deal with that again.

Kim made it known in an earlier post, they won't allow that to happen again. If anyone wants out, you can request a refund and your game will then be sold to the next person on the wait list. Basically, if you ordered the game, it's being shipped to you.

It appears, people may be selling their rights which, as I see it, is totally up to them. They will, however, have to take possession of the game, as originally planned, then see to it that the new owner gets it. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see why someone couldn't sell their BBB, for profit or not, as long as it doesn't involve Gene.

I'll let others decide if that's right or wrong. I don't see the difference whether they're sold now or when they're completed.....as long as it doesn't involve Gene.

Once again, I apologize to Georgie, Kim and Gene for any hassle I may have caused and, as always, wish them nothing but success.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. On the one hand, we have someone who took a risk on putting up money for machine, and at a later date when the risk is less and they have a need for money, they took (presumably) more for their spot. Which seems reasonable in a free market. Less risk, more money, etc. etc. Stocks, options, etc. all follow the same premise.

I mean no disrespect to Bryan, but given the unusual situation with the whole BBB project, the unsubstantiated (but generally accepted) assumption that Gene is going to take a loss on the project, should be a factor. He has stated that he will not ask more money from those of us who have paid, despite the generally accepted idea that he will be completing the project at a loss. I for one take him at his word, and I applaud him for it. I have met far too many people who would sell their mother for a fin.

I'm a buyer, a regular reader, and an infrequent poster. I've had a change in my life since I put down the deposit. I was laid off. It was not unexpected, and I have spent many years working/saving with the idea that I wanted my lifestyle to be independent of a regular paycheck. While I am not "retired" by any means, I can handle it in stride. I'm looking forward to having a BBB in my gameroom. And not selling. And I would not feel right selling the "rights" to it at a profit, assuming that Gene is losing money on the whole deal. Even if I needed money.

Despite having never met Gene, I think we have some similarities. I am looking for a little more fulfillment in life. Not just collecting a paycheck. Towards that end, I've returned to graduate school for a few years to pursue a Ph.D. in engineering, in my mid 40s, with the intent of teaching at the collegiate level. Pay? Less. Satisfaction? More, I hope. I know that dealing with business folk squeezing every last nickel and laying folks off to reap more stock options is something I NEVER want to do again.

Gene is doing something he wants to do, produce a machine, leave his "mark", or whatever you want to call it. I for one applaud him. He is looking for something other than monetary satisfaction.

In closing, I will reiterate a statement I've heard, and believe. The trouble with capitalism is capitalists. They need to have some morals thrown in to make it work. In this day and age, there's a bunch of high net worth capitalists with low morals, IMHO.

Off to dinner, have a good evening everyone, and to Gene and Kim (and Kerry and whoever?!?!), I'm looking forward to picking up my BBB in person, shaking your hands, and taking a few pictures as I do it.

Bernie
greg_888

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan had a real NEED to sell his game pure and simple
if Bryan made a profit so what, thats his business
l sure the person he sold it to is quite happy.

now that thats been done

and as stated IPB/PMI now have a policy in place for those
who wish to back out of the project
and its simple policy what YOU paid is what YOU get back... sorry but
thats about the fairest soultion any one could come up with

and guys a point we probably never considered,
for as long as we have been involved in this, then
IPB/PMI have probably had a waiting list just as long so
how would you feel if you where no 1 on that list
and see people selling there spot and your not advancing
(l would be pretty pissed if it was me... and so would any of you)

and lets face it, if your in this project just to make money
then at lest have the common decency to take
delivery of your game first and then sell it if you wish
l'm sure you will still make a profit on it

l think l'm in the majority that signed up
on the BBB project for the simple reason of wanting
a BBB just for ourselves... Very Happy
Bertl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO hope somebody gives back his/her BBB as i am on the waiting list only. (too late for the original buying list Sad )

And i do not know on which place i am on the waiting list.

I hope Gene will make a few more so that i will also get one.

Otherwise, i think, the machines, which will be sold, will reach too high prices for buying one.

Brgds
Norbert
atlfun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the group confirmation that only refunds would be given and that transfers would not be handled by IPB. That was my understanding, but the recent RGP posts surprised me a little about the process.

I don't intend on ever selling this game, just like I would not sell some of my other high end games. I paid 1.5k for my CV several years ago in true minty condition. Today, I could not jusity the current cost. Just like I could not justify 10k+ for proto BBB's.

Gene has afforded us all an opportunity to purchase a game that otherwise might not make sense for the average collector. And, I believe that most of us are in this for game not the investment. That is why I have no immediate deadline expectations. I just want a quality game whether it be this year or next.

Brian
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am much stoked to be part of this awesome event. I'm in it for the long haul, and feel like a kid waiting for Santa to come at Christmas.

When I anteed up my deposit in Nov 04' I felt this would take some time. We were then requested to pay up balance to $4,500, that was difficult for me, at the time (and probably many others) but we got it done.

I think Gene and Company have been very generous in not increasing the price and sticking to the program.

I feel those who have the need cash out and liquidate before the game is delivered, should be refunded the money they paid. Then, Gene & Co. can offer that game to the next party, on the waiting list, who is willing to buy it, at a price determined by them and Gene, period.

Kerry Richard #111
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: