Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBB Merchandise - Interest Likely to Wane or Wax?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you be more or less interested in thinking about BBB merchandise after your machine is delivered?
More, I want the machine before I think about accessorizing
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
More, other reasoning
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Less, the merchandise is an outlet for my BBB enthusiasm
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Less, other reasoning
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
About the same, and I'm fairly interested
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
About the same, and I'm not interested
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 37

BBB94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: BBB Merchandise - Interest Likely to Wane or Wax? Reply with quote

It seems like a small percentage of people participate in the polls, and that interest is moderate at best, which has me wondering...
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I would like to have the merchandise ready before the machine, is because of the shipping costs to Europe. Either the stuff should be packed with the machine or at least everything should be combined into one shipment. If more items become available after that point, I'm probably not going to order them.

It think it would be best if at some point you would start taking orders on a limited list of merchandise, and then ship everything at once. You could also define a minimum order quantity for each item, so if less is ordered, this item is cancelled. This way you don't have to worry about lack of interest.

My interest goes out to a neon and that cool glass tube for in my gameroom, and some kind of jacket to wear outdoors, and that's about it. I wouldn't make 7 different T-shirts just to please everyone.
Kronis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, just the mere existence of the product should be enough to warrant interest. As you may know, the vast majority of the BBB forum users log on for the progress updates, and probably are uninterested in participating in the associated merchandise discussions. Were the merchandise available today, you'd see a lot more feedback- but in the form of purchase orders.

It's pretty clear at this point that the game is in the final stages. With Kim's prototype (#001) built, and the other 9 presumably just behind it, I think it's a safe assumption that all 183 models will be built and shipped by mid-May (unless Kerry wishes to comment on this schedule Wink ). I know the neanderthals on RGP that some of you converse with can have little doubt at this point that the project is nearing completion, given the last batch of photos.

Merchandise should be made available very soon. My recommendation is to pick about 3-5 products and finalize design. This will mean a sign-off from Gene & co., as well as deciding exclusivity (BBB owners or everyone), etc. Then, as some of you more enterprising persons have done already, submit these finalized designs to 3rd parties for pricing. Some of these products will take time to produce, so let's get behind some of the more popular items, and get moving. If one or more happen to come out before the BBB black games are shipped, then fine.

Remember- Gene is the Capcom copyright holder, so each design will have to receive his (IPB/PMI) approval prior to production, as well as final disposition (client lists).

My Recommendations:

1. T-shirt - 1-3 designs, initial runs of 40-50 shirts each. My familiarity with this item is a little better, so I know that cost is relatively low, and they can be produced quickly. They can be done professionally, probably for $17-25, depending upon quality and printing type. This item's design can be decided upon now.
I recommend that this item be available to BBB owners first, and opened up to all takers later.

2. Neon sign - 1 design, initial run of ??? I'm not particularly interested in this item, but I know several others are, and since this is likely to be a fairly expensive item, this will definitely need to be done by a professional 3rd party. Lead time can be long, so I imagine this item's design should be agreed upon very soon (within 8 weeks), so that there's sufficient time for fabrication.
I recommend that this item be available to BBB owners only.

3. Keychains - 1 design (possibly 1 alternate), initial run of 50-100. This is actually a pretty cheap item to produce, and can be accomplished rather quickly. It's essentially either a plastic toy (of tube dancer, or some other miniaturinzed playfield toy), or else a chunk of 2-D artwork that may or may not have an audio clip. Design should be wrapped up on this within 8-12 weeks, to allow enough time for fabrication.
I recommend that this item be available to BBB owners first, and opened up to all takers later.

-----------------------------------

Let's get moving on these items now. We can discuss lasered paperweights, toppers, or more clothing items later, in a second wave. My indication is that interest for these accessories is very strong, and we'll have more than enough parties looking to buy.
Very Happy

BBB #21
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronis wrote:
With Kim's prototype (#001) built, and the other 9 presumably just behind it, I think it's a safe assumption that all 183 models will be built and shipped by mid-May (unless Kerry wishes to comment on this schedule Wink ).

I think that's an overly-optimistic delivery schedule myself.

Kerry stated about 18 weeks for the bottoms once everything was tested. Assuming that starts March 1 after the protos are tested and accepted, that would put us about mid-July.

Then you have to do the tops, which may start staggered when the bottom assembly starts in earnest. Let's say another 3 months for that. We're at mid to late October. Now each game needs final assembly, testing, and any problems fixed and adjusted. Add another month. That's late November.

Kerry *did* say Xmas 2005 was the last Xmas we would be without a BBB. That being said, I'm hoping for, not expecting, a December 2006 delivery.
BBB #74
mikeflan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: T shirts Reply with quote

1. T-shirt - 1-3 designs, initial runs of 40-50 shirts each. My familiarity with this item is a little better, so I know that cost is relatively low, and they can be produced quickly. They can be done professionally, probably for $17-25, depending upon quality and printing type. This item's design can be decided upon now.

[color=red] Maybe T-shirt printing is a lot cheaper in Texas, but I know for a fact that I can get these done for a fraction of that at retail prices. I'm getting four-color T-shirts printed for my fire station, front and back, for about $9 a pop, and that's a good qualty Hanes Beefy-T.
Kronis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:
I think that's an overly-optimistic delivery schedule myself.

Kerry stated about 18 weeks for the bottoms once everything was tested. Assuming that starts March 1 after the protos are tested and accepted, that would put us about mid-July.

Then you have to do the tops, which may start staggered when the bottom assembly starts in earnest. Let's say another 3 months for that. We're at mid to late October. Now each game needs final assembly, testing, and any problems fixed and adjusted. Add another month. That's late November.

Kerry *did* say Xmas 2005 was the last Xmas we would be without a BBB. That being said, I'm hoping for, not expecting, a December 2006 delivery.

You killed my buzz, man. That's also ridiculous. Even with a four-man staff, that's an insane timeframe. Playfield bottoms- yes, that's a more rigid estimate, since that's pretty intricate. But the tops and testing can be done within 1-2 months- what, are we still waiting on more parts or something ?

mikeflan wrote:
Maybe T-shirt printing is a lot cheaper in Texas, but I know for a fact that I can get these done for a fraction of that at retail prices. I'm getting four-color T-shirts printed for my fire station, front and back, for about $9 a pop, and that's a good qualty Hanes Beefy-T.

It depends a lot on the printing process, and how many shirts are eventually made. Silkscreens become more expensive the more colors are applied to the process, but a little cheaper the more shirts are made. The $17-25 estimate was based on a front n' back design, possible embroidery, and multiple colors for up to only 50 shirts. It doesn't matter. The point is that design should be wrapped up soon, so that it can be moved to a 3rd party for pricing and delivery time.

BBB #21
BBB94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: T shirts Reply with quote

mikeflan wrote:
I'm getting four-color T-shirts printed for my fire station, front and back, for about $9 a pop, and that's a good qualty Hanes Beefy-T.

Can you send me the contact info for your source?

Anyone else that has industry contacts that might be useful for BBB merchandise, please let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: