Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteers Contact Page

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Volunteers Contact Page Reply with quote

For those that would like to volunteer Please contact me at:
kim@illinoispinball.com and I will pass the information on to the other guy.
All help will be greatly appreciated and we will work within whatever time frame you are kind enough to offer.

There is a house at the top of the hill and it does have a kitchen, 2 bedrooms, livingroom and of course a bathroom.

Ya know mike it's not like we are all sitting around doing nothing, Fred gets here about 6:00 am and alot of night when I leave at 8:00 he's still down there working so if the people "in the know" don't answer for awhile just figure that they are extremely busy putting the BBB games together or if you would rather we can sit and monitor the forum all day, I am sure that it would be way easier and more relaxing than what they are trying to accomplish.

kim

THE ABOVE SECTION OF THIS POST IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND DOES NOT REFLECT THE ATTITUDE OF MY BOSS OR CO-CONSPIRATORS. Evil or Very Mad
runner1717

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Kim........I miss you and your feistiness!!

I just didn't want BBB94 to have all the fun...........

Thanks for the info!
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed : Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Sorry about the confusion! I just had a volunteer with availability that matched mine so I said "Come on down..."

I will post a new topic w/ more info for volunteers... Please be patient with me & allow me to be the contact point for volunteers. Cool

The Other Guy
BBB94

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pics of the accomidations. If anyone lines up a timeslot for themselves and wants to know more about what to expect and a trick or two to overcome some of the character of the place, shot me an email. Gene had the place pretty well stocked with the essentials; we left behind a few more things to help out future attendees.

The basics:
There is a fridge, stove, and microwave (never used the later two)
Each bedroom has a twin or maybe queen size bed.
There is a couch and a number of arm chairs.
It is a few hundred feet from the door of the shop/warehouse (when it is not 4 degrees, you can walk)
There is a TV that gets a fair number of channels (not that it will likely get much use)
metallik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about 4-4.5 hours away.. next few weekends are booked but will have free time after the weekend of the 11th (league that weekend). Let me know what the schedule looks like going into March/April. A single-day trip would work fine, or a weekend if I have nothing going on. Email me at metallik@fuse.net as I sometimes miss posts here.
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
My thanks go to BBB94 for the help the other weekend!!!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed : Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

My apologies to those who have already volunteered but were not contacted.
I don’t have a list of those willing to help although I’ve seen & heard of several…

I suppose that this would be a good time to start a list and operate from it.

If you would like to help, please PM me & the list will begin!

Here’s the fun part:

You volunteer.

I have to compare your availability with mine, line out what work is able to be done,
the workspace available for the given tasks (the cabinet workers take a lot of room!!!), tool availability and other simple tasks. During this, the guys here helping are begging for more work…

If anyone is curious, I started with a two week vacation to come help. Then it was my two days off during the week for a while… Then I took a lay-off to help fulltime and have been here between 50 & 76.5 hours a week since (this doesn’t count the little off-the-clock things like paperwork and such…).

Let the list begin!!!

TOG
tomterlec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOG, I have already given Kim my name and contact information. I would love to help out a few days.

Tom
BBB #136
latecomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't thank those enough who have volunteered their time, or will be doing so in the coming months. I actually feel that I am missing out by not be able to help (but living on the other side of the world makes it a little awkward! Wink

I do have a suggestion though, stemming from Kim's mention of wanting signatures on her machine. I would love to have a list of names and signatures from those that contributed to the building, the volunteers and of course the PMI team themselves. Just a simple A4 sheets like a guestbook, and then maybe once the machines are ready to be delivered the page could be scanned and placed up here so those of us who would like the momento of the efforts of all can print it out. It will be the "human" side of the machine that once done we won't get to see, but a record of it will be something I would treasure.
Vegemite Nick #123
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Other Guy wrote:

My thanks go to BBB94 for the help the other weekend!!!
<<SNIP>>
If you would like to help, please PM me & the list will begin!
<<SNIP>>
If anyone is curious, I started with a two week vacation to come help. Then it was my two days off during the week for a while… Then I took a lay-off to help fulltime and have been here between 50 & 76.5 hours a week since (this doesn’t count the little off-the-clock things like paperwork and such…).
<<SNIP>>

I was glad to help. I will try to make it back down, I should be even more productive next time, as I don't need to be familiarized or toured. Funny thing that I didn't mention yet - when you were showing us around a bit Friday night I was thinking yeah this is all great, BUT WHEN DO I GET TO WORK? :-)

PM might not work well as there is (at least for me) a 10 message per box (in, sent, save, outgoing) limit. So the 11th volunteer might not get through.

Yeah, getting yourself laid-off to work on the project and working mondo hours, that's pretty dedicated.

Story: I don't usually eat when I'm concentrating on something - TOG had no problem with that. Saturday we had breakfast around 8a and lunch (or what I like to call "linner") around 9p, and then went back to work for a bit.
Kronis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:

I was glad to help. I will try to make it back down, I should be even more productive next time, as I don't need to be familiarized or toured. Funny thing that I didn't mention yet - when you were showing us around a bit Friday night I was thinking yeah this is all great, BUT WHEN DO I GET TO WORK?

So what activities do you participate in in the production, if I can ask ? Is it just testing and measuring parts against specifications, or do you do assembly ? For those of you who have been more than once to volunteer, is it different stuff the subsequent times (do they stop watching you to ensure you're not stuffing your pockets with "souvenirs" ?).

I mean, I'm just enough of an idiot to be able to strip PF tops, or re-wire boards of the pins I own(ed). But that's only because I've had the wiring diagrams and familiarity at hand.

Again, thank you to all of you who are volunteering your own free time to help with some of the labor logjams in completing this project. All of us who cannot similarly participate are in your debt. Of course, if my BBB doesn't work, or has a number of defective parts or poor installation, I'll probably curse/seeth-about/firebomb the volunteers first Very HappyVery Happy

BBB #21
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think explained what I did pretty well over here:
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153

If you still have questioins after reading that and the below, either post a more detailed follow-up or PM or email me.

They watch you like a hawk and you can't be left alone because sadly there have been "five finger souvenir hunting" issues - not sure of the extent - really hope it wasn't buyers/collectors.

Since most of what they had me doing was small pre-assembly and subassembly work, I would expect to do slightly different stuff if I get back there. There is also a chance that some of the projects I started may be leftover for others or myself, as some could not be completed due to the parts not being at that location. Some because the rest of the parts were being stored elsewhere and could not be efficiently retrieved or were still trickling in from the supplier. Examples: about a third of the backboards were still in storage; about half of the plastics that go on the backboards had not been punched out yet and were at another location; some of the wire harnesses for the florescent backbox light had not been received yet.

I would expect people to get small tasks like the ones I did, as the major stuff will likely be handled by a very select and experienced few to ensure consistant quality and for accountability. Oh yeah, speaking of accountability they are keeping track of who works on what, so that if there is a problem and it was operator error, they know who the problem was.

The parts counting was done based on a parts list, there was a blueprint (or whatever it is when its black and white) for the backboard, and some tasks were done looking at sample pieces that I assume TOG, Kerry &/or others put together.

I'll make sure to wear a welder's mask to protect my eyes from potential flames when I check the forum the week of delivery. ;-)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: