Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBB in the wild report: Pinball Circus at SS Billiards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinsane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: BBB in the wild report: Pinball Circus at SS Billiards Reply with quote

Here are some photos from the April 1, 2006 Pinball Circus at SS Billiards.

I knew the trip to Lloyd’s would be great the moment I stepped off the plane and was greeted with this sight (literally after stepping off the jetway).

Here’s Lloyd’s BBB set up and already being played an hour before Pinball Circus officially started.

Here’s Martin of www.pinballnews.com spanking BBB.

Here’s SS Billards at 1:00AM. Still people hanging around and a group of people working on Pinball Circus in the background.

A few more shots of BBB

Here’s a few shots of Pinball Circus

Notice how the playfield slides out for easy servicing:

It was great to meet other forum members there—harrrrrrr, vbirdsley , brian kelly, and of course LTG. What a great bunch of guys! Thanks to the ever-gracious Lloyd for a hosting a great pinball event.

steve SDTM
BBB93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great time. Going to Lloyds for one of his parties is high on my list of "must do's". Looks like this past weekend would have been a great party to attend. Having Pinball Circus there was just icing on the cake. That is really such a cool and unique game. Kudos to the owner, they have been very generous with making the game available at these events Very Happy

Thanks,
Bob S #93
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super pics, thanks.

BTW - 13M on a BBB is *not* a spanking. It would appear the other way around, the BBB spanked Martin.

Jack
bspins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, Steve. As always, Lloyd's parties are the best. Highlight for me was finally meeting you. It was a pleasure.

And the BBB is always a treat to play.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
BBB94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pinsane. Pinball Circus is pretty cool. Was that the same one that was at Expo this year or the other one (there are 2 right?)? Hey maybe someone will remake Pinball Circus soon - yeah right!

That price card sure looks cool and interesting...and self illuminated or glow in the dark or something...?

Have to agree with RatherPlayPinball, that was not evidence of a spanking, unless that was just the beginning of a spanking :-) Even I can score over 13M on BBB sometimes.

I'll try to respond to the Update thread comments and questions soon, but that takes more thought than I can muster right now.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those pics are great!! I really miss Lloyd and his place. I had such a great time when I went there..

Now, on to my rant!! You mean you didn't bring me home Pinball Circus rom images so I could put them into PinMAME? Shame on you!! Smile
Seriously, who's machine is that, and how can I get some rom images? Is that WPC hardware or something special?

Glad you had fun!
Steve
Swann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch! Amazing pictures, to see Pinball Circus opened up is great, very interesting, would love to one day get to see how get access to the underside and how cables and circuitry runs in it.

In regards to price-card, is there a lamp originally or is it added on your game Lloyd?
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherPlayPinball wrote:
Super pics, thanks.

BTW - 13M on a BBB is *not* a spanking. It would appear the other way around, the BBB spanked Martin.

Jack

Martin is a pretty skilled player, so I think it is safe to say that's early in the spanking...

...wow, that sounded wierd...

steve
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:
Thanks Pinsane. Pinball Circus is pretty cool. Was that the same one that was at Expo this year or the other one (there are 2 right?)? Hey maybe someone will remake Pinball Circus soon - yeah right!

It was the same one from Expo. You can tell because, while there are two, only one has the complex wireform on the right hand side of the game (it was really expensive and was eliminated early in the development).

BBB94 wrote:
That price card sure looks cool and interesting...and self illuminated or glow in the dark or something...?

For some background on the card, see:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_frm/thread/48ec80ee1f1e7f64

BBB94 wrote:
Have to agree with RatherPlayPinball, that was not evidence of a spanking, unless that was just the beginning of a spanking Even I can score over 13M on BBB sometimes.

As I mentioned previously, Martin has serious skillz, so I would assume this is just the love-tap phase of the spanking.
Embarassed
steve SDTM
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swann wrote:
Thanks a bunch! Amazing pictures, to see Pinball Circus opened up is great, very interesting, would love to one day get to see how get access to the underside and how cables and circuitry runs in it.

You can get access to the back of the game throught a panel in the back (see the 1:00AM picture above) or by pulling the playfield out the front of the game:

While you can access the underside when it is pulled out, you can also pivot the playfield up:

Here's the view from the back of the game when pivoting the playfield up:

Very clever indeed!

steve SDTM
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:
Now, on to my rant!! You mean you didn't bring me home Pinball Circus rom images so I could put them into PinMAME? Shame on you!! Smile
Seriously, who's machine is that, and how can I get some rom images? Is that WPC hardware or something special?

I would love to play this game on VP, because there is no chance that I will ever see this one in real life.

However, is the Pinball Circus prototype actually finished? Are all the rules programmed? Are the music and sounds and animations finished? Or are we talking about a half-finished project which was cancelled before the game was anywhere near playable?

And if it is playable, is it any fun to play or is it just a gadget?
BBB93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same Pinball Circus was at 2005 Expo. I'm sure others have spent more time on the game than I have, but played half a dozen or so games and I found it to be completely playable. Yes, it has a lot of toys, but they are elevated above the gadget catagory because they are fully functional and integral to acheiving your goals. The DMD animation seemed to be complete, to me anyway. I will tell you, I have seen very few games that got as much attention as Pinball Circus, it was met with great enthusiasm at Expo and was the talk of the show. It would be great to see Pinball Circus in VPmame. That might even force me to replace my macs at home with a PC Shocked

Bob S #93
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinball circus, while being insanely cool, isnt that fun of a game. once you knock the ball through the clowns teeth there's nothing to do besides just do it again. there doesnt seem to be any modes or that much to do.

I got the ball through the teeth twice in the same ball and about 5 times in a 3 ball game.

an AWESOME curiosity but i can totaly see why it didnt make it to production.

-c
Swann

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful with those added pictures, I'm totally greatful!!! *Happy*
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:
pinball circus, while being insanely cool, isnt that fun of a game. once you knock the ball through the clowns teeth there's nothing to do besides just do it again. there doesnt seem to be any modes or that much to do.

I agree about the play value. It is the perfect show pin however, exceedingly rare, very unusual and innovative, excellent artwork, lot's of mechanical action. I'm glad I had a chance to see it both at Expo and at Pinball Circus.

Those who saw it at Expo will remember that the game started having some problems towards the end of the show. The lower ramp shot was getting pretty tough to make. Those problems (and others) were remedied before LTG's event, but unfortunately there was an intermittent problem involving the mechanical giraffe that wasn't fixed until early the next morning. Martin, PinTed, Lloyd, and Greg worked many hours to debug and fix the problem so the game could be returned in better shape than when it arrived.

steve SDTM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: