Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 13, 2006 Update

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kstair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: April 13, 2006 Update Reply with quote

<this has been split from it's original thread as I believe it deserved it's own subject - Robert>

Well first off I've never had an iguana for a pet . . . so not having one pretty much kills the death of one story
Well I'm a believer in not reporting a problem until its fixed as it makes everyone less nervous. After assembling the first complete game and playing several hundred games the staff took a hard look at the clearcoating on the playfield and decided we needed to ask some questions. The clearcoat seemed to be scratching way too easily. So we put playfield assembly on hold and went to the manufacturer of the playfield clear. You can imagine this takes some time. Well we finally got an answer on the playfields. It seems they were shot in a hurry and two things had happened. First the mix wasn't quite right and it was softer then it should have been. Secondly it was thinner in some parts then others. So now the quandry. This game is already over budget and spending more money is not a great option. Gene once again decided to make it right regardless of the cost. So he finished setting up his playfield processing area and had his guy re-clearcoat 10 fields as tests. The finish is now far superior to what it was. We have confidence that this will completely lay this problem in the distant past. However we needed to wait for this clearcoat to setup before the final call was made.

At this point today it looks good so we're rolling forward again. We definitely lost some time resolving this issue but it was a big issue and needed the extra time to resolve. It is resolved !!!! We move forward. Once again Gene really has pulled out all the stops to make sure you guys are taken care of !! With all the holds off we can start to pick up speed again.
The assemblies have been built in advance and kits have been pulled in the mean time so alot of the grunt work is done. Its assembly time! Fred will be coming primarily on the weekends now so volunteers that want to work the weekend get in touch with him. I will be trying to get there 1-2 days during the week.
I have every degree of confidence that these will be done right !! Gene has shown me a "can do" attitude and even with a major hurtle that was not his fault he is taking care of business !
BTW with the added benefit of this playfield area ready at IPB they are cranking out Funhouse playfields. Order one they are spectacular !
I have not even looked at this forum in 2 months so I apologize for not being more regular on updates. However from here on out its just building them. The next significant update will be they're all done Cross our fingers hopefully there will be no more surprises

Kerry Stair

Mantis Amusements

Mantis Amusements
F1 Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW!
wav
Bertl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the update, Kerry!

This story shows again, that Gene is willing to make things perfect to make this game simply THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!!!

I keep my fingers crossed that the new coating will be fine so that the project can go forward. Seems everything else is prepared.

Thanx again and Happy Easter to all of you!

Brgds
Norbert
Kronis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to question why quality control at the manufacturer was so poor- a simple evaluation of the first playfields coated would've revealed the clearcoat was too soft, thin, etc. For the issue to be discovered so later into validation & testing is really a disappointment. This project has been plagued with poor quality parts, sourcing issues and a host of other delays. I have to remind myself that the pinball manufacturing industry doesn't operate with rigid requirements, or written specifications, and often operates with little more than a fistful of trust. That BBB has a manual, P&ID's and wiring diagrams at all, is lucky.

This is not Gene's fault- there are a limited number of part manufacturers who were able to produce what was required, and no amount of aggressive project management could've produced a faster or higher quality result. Just put it down to shoddy workmanship, and typical American laziness.

Great job, Kerry- Gene, on getting this issue resolved. Please try to let us know what the expected manufacture date for batches of BBB's is, when you get more information. I need to let my wife know if she should buy the over-sized Christmas bow for this year, or 2007.

BBB #21
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, thanks much for the update. I would be more than willing to cough up another $100-200 to cover the cost of re-clearing the playfield for my game. (I'd like to offer more to offset the additional out-of-pocket cost to Gene, but things are tight with two daughters in college now.)

Tony
BBB #39
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
5 smiley update... thanks Kerry. This is just another wonderful example of why I am so glad to be along for the BBB ride. Gene continues to fully meet my expectations from day 1... thank you Gene and the rest of the BBB team.

John
runner1717

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the crappy job Churchill does on Stern playfields I guess it's no surprise they'd do the same * quality * work on our BBB playfields.......

I know the 16 screens on the BBB playfield was a hell of a challenge for them as they're used to the 4 screen Stern stuff.

Thanks for once again looking out for us Gene and crew! I knew that when I gave Gene my 5K+ he'd take care of business!!!

Thanks again for the update Kerry!
BBB94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my word that I would not comment on this until after the crew had finished evaluating the recoated playfields and disclosed the issue on the forum, so...

The playfield I played on in Kim's machine was one of the recoated ones. It seemed very nice. The difference between the recoated BBB playfield and a new Stern playfield is day and night. A new Stern playfield has lots of easily noticed ball trails just from the bit of testing at the factory. In contrast, I could just barely notice some ball trails on the playfield in Kim's machine after it had received a fair amount of play. I have to think that a waxed playfield (especially if you use waxed pinballs too) will not show any wear for a long time. I've never seen a new Williams or Bally playfield, or a fresh Bill Davis or PFR playfield so I can't make any comparisons to those.

Thanks for the update Kerry. It is very good to hear that after more testing and scrutiny that you guys are happy with the results.
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!! Ross
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Kerry, first let me say how relieved I am to know that you did not have to endure the passing of your favorite iguana, I will rest easier!

Second, a more serious question regarding things being ready for assembly. A mention was made of the fit up of the ramp, and some mod being needed. The post was made and later removed, but it did seem that there was a question about the need to make an adjustment. Has that been handled?

Finally, please do not consider this asking for a delivery date in any way, but I am curious if you have any ROUGH guess for the need for volunteers. I'm asking because I'm a college student (albeit an old graduate student), and could not assist before school is out, mid-June or so. But I would have flexibility after that time.

If things are moving towards more need for volunteers, some guidelines might be good.
kstair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOG is in charge of volunteers and will only be working weekends from my understanding. I'm in only 1-2 days a week and it varies sometimes at the last minute. I have no timetable . . . guessing when all the games will be done is just a guess. It depends on how many workers, their skill level etc . . . If its only me working then figure one game a week and multiply . . . Adding TOG cuts that in half and so on . . . From here on out its manpower versus work to be done. Any help appreciated . . . Contact Fred on the weekends if you can help.

There are no outstanding ramp issues !

I'm tired . . . been working on BBB playfields all day . . . Have a good Easter gang !

Thanks !

Kerry Stair

Mantis Amusements

Mantis Amusements
runner1717

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstair wrote:
If its only me working then figure one game a week and multiply . . . Adding TOG cuts that in half and so on . . .

Let's see...........

183 / 52 = 3.52 Years

TOG Helping

3.52 / 2 = 1.76 Years

Hmmmm...........

Hope Gene brings in some help!!! Confused
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: