Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

since it's going to be a while

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: since it's going to be a while Reply with quote

do we have a good plan for volunteers? i can help out a long weekend this summer (maybe 2). I know its not much but i have a kid on the way and will get a frying pan to the face if i take of a ton of time to "play" pinball Wink

I would think that if help is needed we should have something more organized so we can get the most efficient use out of volunteer help.

I work better with people to talk to and the idea that i would be stuck alone in a room with a pile of work to do sounds like torture...so maybe we can get a calendar thing going and a list of work that needs to be done? Then whomever can help can fill in when they're available so we can finish this?

I've done about 10 playfield swaps and I'm pretty good at shopping games so I should be able to work with someone less skilled and kick some assembly arse.

anyways....thoughts?

-c
nworker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am interested in helping out. It is not clear on how many days a week they are working or other logistical question so I agree some kind of calendar would be helpful.
BBB93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I have attempted several times to volunteer, just never been given a date to show up. It would be great to see a schedule that says.... "We are needing volunteers for this date, this date and that date....Who can volunteer some time?"

I think if the volunteer dates could be posted, people could plan in advance and the number of volunteers would be greater.

Ready, willing and able.

Bob S
BBB93
CraigC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. also it will let people who are more comfortable in certain areas choose fitting tasks. I can see someone who may not have a lot of skills but wants to help out pair up with someone who can show them what to do.

-c
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: a little volunteer information... Reply with quote

Not sure if you saw it, but the following information was posted by Kerry on 4/14 in thread:

http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183

----------------------
TOG is in charge of volunteers and will only be working weekends from my understanding. I'm in only 1-2 days a week and it varies sometimes at the last minute. I have no timetable . . . guessing when all the games will be done is just a guess. It depends on how many workers, their skill level etc . . . If its only me working then figure one game a week and multiply . . . Adding TOG cuts that in half and so on . . . From here on out its manpower versus work to be done. Any help appreciated . . . Contact Fred on the weekends if you can help.
----------------------

I agree with the comments regarding having some level of a plan regarding what time frame, needed skills, etc. For example, my neighbor is a partner/investor in my arcade. We will both have flexibility this summer and would be able and willing to help out (he's retiring as a teacher, I'm an old graduate student, just returned to college this year after 25 years working). We also are located a reasonable drive away, perhaps 300-350 miles?!?! He is great at following orders and has assisted me on shop jobs, but no way he should be left on his own to put something in unless it's REALLY easy - and he'd be the first one to tell you that! He likes to play, so he puts in some money and assistance, but there's a reason no pins are at his house, he has limited mechanical inclination. If there was a big volunteer weekend, he would be the perfect guy to be a gofer for tools and parts, or to put in charge of organizing lunch orders and making the food run! Smile

Me on the other hand, I haven't done a playfield swap, but have fixed problems, shopped machines, etc. I would think I'd be comfortable doing most of the assembly type work. I figured I would get past school (mid-June) and then inquire about how we might be of assistance.

Bernie
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteered to fly out for a week during March/April - no response to my offer. I wound up taking that week and working on some of my own projects ...

Going out for a weekend isn't practical when you're flying half-way across the country (from New Hampshire). I wanted to help, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out in my case.

Tony
BBB #39
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know it is going to take 3.5 years to build 180 games with the volunteers that they have. It a known fact so everyone is going to be waiting a long time for these games. They can only build a game a week.

Unless we pony up and hire a build team to deliver these machine by this xmas, plan on waiting 3.5 years to get your machine.

Its a Fact!

Whats and extra $500.00 per game to ensure ther done. I say we hire a team to build thes games and be done with it!

So all you guys who say your so patient, I hope you can be patient for 3 more year. Where talking a total of 5 years to deliver a game.

Again Gene will get them done but at his leisure.
tomterlec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteered as well, have had no contact sine an e-mail in March saying they would get back to me on the schedule. How hard can this be to set up a schedule for people who want to help? Makes you wonder if there are other issues?

Tom
BBB #136
briguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered to help too. Everytime I call and ask the answer I get is that they are not ready for help yet.

I would even take my game as a "kit" and just assemble the playfield myself. I know a few other BBB owners that would also take their BBB as a kit. This would sure save the IPB team a lot of labor.
BBB #25
tomterlec

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the kit idea, I would prefer the bottom of the PF is assembled. I know there is a number of us in Chicago that could get together and build our games.

Tom
BBB #136
CraigC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer my garage and tools if we want to do it there.

so that's 6 games including mine.

who else is in the chicago area? We could also just jump in a truck and head down to Bloomington and see how many games we can build in a weekend.

-c
RazerX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm one of those 6 Craig, but I am game to go with you and knock out 4 to 6 in a weekend, or maybe more once we get going Very Happy If we can nail down on a weekend, let's do it. I'd like us all to get our games sooner than 3 freakin years!
Robot #71
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: