Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back of the Backbox Screening
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Back of the Backbox Screening Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else was thinking of a way to get the silk screening done on the back of the backbox of the new BBBs.

I did some preliminary research and I have some ideas, but if anyone else was thinking of this, I'd love to discuss it.

-Al-

PS - Similar to this: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3596&picno=13821
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah our backboxes wont be screened?

i would just go to a local screen printing place. the one by me (chicago silk screen) charges about $60 and you own the screen...it would be more expensive the larger you get.

put it on the back of the game, ink, squeegee, done.

anything else will yield poor results. I've been meaning to get on that for WPC games. I'm just up to my ears in work. I've done a lot of hand screening of shirts and it's really super easy. and if you wash the screen you can use it for up to 100 uses.

-c
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fairly long threads on r.g.p regarding the WPC back box warning text. The best answer anyone has come up with to date on that subject is to send them to Big Time Cabinets who will screen them for less than $50. Of course, shipping is a bear.

Single-use screens are pretty expensive, decals look crappy, and stencils don't work worth a darn.

I'd like to get the text screened on my BBB at some point, though.

Tony
BBB #39
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have the text for WPC backboxes?

-c
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadziedzic wrote:
There are some fairly long threads on r.g.p regarding the WPC back box warning text. The best answer anyone has come up with to date on that subject is to send them to Big Time Cabinets who will screen them for less than $50. Of course, shipping is a bear.

Single-use screens are pretty expensive, decals look crappy, and stencils don't work worth a darn.

I'd like to get the text screened on my BBB at some point, though.

Tony

it's a piece of cake to get a screen made....just like BTC did. it doesnt cost that much. of course for some reason everyone ignores me when i tell them this and they try and think up some type of way to screen it without a screen thinking that it will look the same. Anything that anyone does that is not a silk screen wont look like it was screened.

get me the text and i'll run it over and get a screen made. I'll screen them in the back of my jetta at expo.

i'm not joking either.

-c
unigroove

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally missing the point of having the text on the backbox anyway. IPB's BBB does not have it and I don't miss it at all. I rather spend my time on orange rings... Smile My guess is more people will appreciate those rings than the text on the backbox....
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:

it's a piece of cake to get a screen made....just like BTC did. it doesnt cost that much. of course for some reason everyone ignores me when i tell them this and they try and think up some type of way to screen it without a screen thinking that it will look the same. Anything that anyone does that is not a silk screen wont look like it was screened.

get me the text and i'll run it over and get a screen made. I'll screen them in the back of my jetta at expo.

i'm not joking either.

-c

Jeff McAfee was going to go the single-use screen method for WPC games, but he found the cost prohibitive. You might be able to get the graphics from him (I believe he wound up selling stick-on decals for the entire back side of the back box). Or for that matter, maybe you can get it from Gene/PMI.

What kind of cost are you expecting for having a screen made? If it's less than $100 I'd buy one so I can screen the backs of the BBBs that are winding up in New England.

Offering the service at Expo is a nice gesture, but there are lots of BBB owners that won't be able to bring their games there. Maybe you could work out an arrangement with PMI to screen the backs for those who want that done?

Of course, getting the screen made - assuming you can get the back box text AND graphics, or reproduce them - isn't the hard part. The hard part is giving it to some neophyte who has never done silk screening and hoping they can produce a good result.

Tony

P.S. While orange rings on the tube might look neat, they aren't original - at least according to all we've read. That's not to say it wouldn't be an interesting mod. The missing back box text would be a nice touch, and it *would* be original.
BBB #39
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll make some calls this week sized from the WPC backbox...capcom's will be bigger and slightly more.

-c
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it feasible to ship a used screen? I'm thinking someone could use it, clean it, then send it to the next person who wants to use it (for a fee of course). I'm assuming the screen is mounted to a wooden frame but maybe a reusable crate could be built to ship it. Whomever has the screen could pass it to other people in his area for use.
BBB #74
Swann

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea Robert, do like that one. It would be nice though if it was the proper screen for BBB, not the WPC-screen (or are they the same???)

Come to think about it, I haven't seen any pictures of the original games and the back of their backbox, guess i'm not so into "rears" Wink

...and yes, I agree in regards to the orange rings, for me they are higher priority (but also a bit more complicated to get done), something you normally see and really improves the look of the game.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
awarner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: My thoughts... Reply with quote

The only complication I saw was in aligning and securing the screen to the backbox and creating the 1/8" of lift required between the screen and the backbox. I was thinking that since the screen is mounted on a wood frame that it could be modified to attach somehow to the backbox. I found a web site that sells screening supplies and they have some decent free video tutorials about the process. I think I could pull this off. All I need to do is the art and that seems pretty straightforward since I have a Pinball Magic to go by. I was thinking that the screen could be transferred from area to area of the country/world and multiple games done at a time. I know that quite a few are coming to GA so it would make sense to try it here. I'll get started on creating the art for the screen and I'll let everyone know how it comes out. I'd gladly share the art with anyone on the forum as long as Gene says it's OK.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
CraigC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the screens yourself is a pain. and getting the silk stretched right and photo emulsion and exposure has to be just right or it will look blurry.

Get the art ready, scan it in photoshop and get it the right size and resolution and pick up the phone and call around for a quote for that size image. For under $100 for a quality screen done right that will hold up and that you dont have to mess around with anything....why not?

I have screens sitting around for band shirts that cost $30 for chicago silk screen to make, granted backboxes are bigger but shouldnt be that crazy.

i dont get this 1/8 of lift thing. I've done tons of shirts and it's just silk stretched drum tight over a wood frame. the ink doesnt blop around to the other side so there's no worry about ghosting.

-c
awarner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, I wouldn't make the screen myself, just get the art right. I found a place on-line that will do it for around $100 and I figure I'll look locally as well. I'm just planning to duplicate the art in Corel (and convert it to photoshop - I just don't know that program as well as I would like to).

The web site does show the process, which is pretty cool though.

I'm really only worried that it might require a larger than usual screen.

-Al-
CraigC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any good company should be able to do screens to scale. One thing is how large the camera can make the image to burn into the emulsion. This is easily resolved by splitting it up into 2 images on the clear film and joining them prior to burning. The vacuum UV table could be small too but the one in the small shop i had in high school could have handled something this big pretty easily. worst case is they would be 2 separate screens which will kinda suck with registration.

Any shop should be able to do things poster sized for banners and all that.

I'll be happy to help out with what i can. My experience is with shirts but we would pre-screen on butchers paper prior to testing on shirts and that always looked great.

Look local. it will save you a bunch on shipping too.

-c
unigroove

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if people are willing to spend over $100 to get the original backboxtext on their BBB, why not make a 1 or 2 colored decal, which you can attach to the back of your game if it is that important to do. Such a decal would be the cheapest solution I think. You could go for transparant with (I believe) yellow text, or purple an yellow text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: