Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first (?) movie of a PMI BBB being played
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: first (?) movie of a PMI BBB being played Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has already made a small movie clip of a repro/PMI BBB being played? If not then I'm the first

Before you watch it, here are some comments:

- I removed the glass to avoid reflections. Ofcourse the coils are very loud then... see comment about the sound.

- The tube dancer is currently missing from my machine Sad To make the machine 100% perfect, I wanted to raise the tube dancer just a few millimeters so her feet would not touch the ground while dancing. However, I find the tube dancer assembly a pain in the ass so it didn't work out. Before I do something stupid and break something (I'm a noob remember), Mushroom Bart will help me get it right, so until then, the tube dancer is out of the game. When she's back, I will shoot another video clip, but I didn't want to wait until then to show you something

- You can see clearly that you can get the ball up the ramp with a left backhand. The ramp is fairly steep, so the flippers are quite powerful

- You can see the reflection of the DMD on the playfield. You can almost *read* the DMD via the playfield. Remember that the glass is off, so yes, the playfield really shines like a mirror

- Near the end of the clip, you see the ball being thrown around in the pop bumpers. One side of one pop bumper didn't work in my machine, but after adjusting it, I got this result. Remember, if your ball isn't thrown around like this, it's time to check the sensitivity of your pop bumpers

- Notice anything when I lose the ball at the end? All lights fade to black! Is it correct that only Capcom can *individually* dim the lights? You can sometimes see that the programmers played around with the dim effect during regular play. It's definately not an everything-or-nothing technology.

- The sound is awful in the clip. My stupid camera turns the sound down everytime a coil kicks. To hear the sound like it should be, connect your PC to a good stereo set, and play the Visual Pinball version of BBB. This clip gives you an idea, but it's not good enough for me. Unfortunately I can't record it in better quality for the moment.

- Don't judge my pinball playing skills through this clip. I'm just trying to make an interesting video clip. I'm not trying to break a high score here Wink

- I turned off all the lights in the room so you can enjoy the light show. Notice how bright the ramp arrows are. And notice what a difference the blacklight makes. This game is just sooo beautiful
However, the contrast in this clip is a little too high. The ramp arrows are not *that* bright, and normally you can clearly see the artwork just in front of the flippers. In the clip that part of the playfield is darker than it really is.

OK, you see there are quite a few in my post. Nothing more to add really...

You should find the file here (right click, choose "save target as", and download the full file before viewing it):
http://www.pinsandvids.com/bbj/BBB.avi

Enjoy, and remember, one of these is on its way to *your* gameroom!
Joe
BBB93

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: first (?) movie of a PMI BBB being played Reply with quote

BigBangJoe wrote:
I don't know if anyone has already made a small movie clip of a repro/PMI BBB being played? If not then I'm the first

Thanks Joe, it is the first clip I have been able to watch! I watched it 3 times.

BigBangJoe wrote:
-Near the end of the clip, you see the ball being thrown around in the pop bumpers. One side of one pop bumper didn't work in my machine, but after adjusting it, I got this result. Remember, if your ball isn't thrown around like this, it's time to check the sensitivity of your pop bumpers

Looks like it was very lively

BigBangJoe wrote:
- Notice anything when I lose the ball at the end? All lights fade to black! Is it correct that only Capcom can *individually* dim the lights? You can sometimes see that the programmers played around with the dim effect during regular play. It's definately not an everything-or-nothing technology.

Capcom has all of the "GI" lamps individually cpu controlled. You will find in the diagnostics it will tell you which bulbs are burnt out.

BigBangJoe wrote:
- The sound is awful in the clip. My stupid camera turns the sound down everytime a coil kicks. To hear the sound like it should be, connect your PC to a good stereo set,

Seems like my 12 year old son could hear it just fine. He kept looking and me a laughing at some of the OOOOhhh AAAAAhhh sounds Razz

Thanks BBJ

Bob S
BBB#93
unigroove

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your flippers are set way too strong, looking at how easy a backhand flips right up the ramp. Funny is to hear other soundbites than on my game.
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:
I think your flippers are set way too strong, looking at how easy a backhand flips right up the ramp. Funny is to hear other soundbites than on my game.

I didn't touch the flipper strength, it is still set at 13 like it was when I got the game (maximum is 16). I didn't do a factory reset. Should the default setting be lower than 13?

Or maybe my ramp flows a little bit better than yours Razz

(or I'm a better player Razz Twisted Evil )

About the sound: you should hear about the same *IF* you would do the same as I do. What exactly are you talking about? The tube dancer "quotes" are because I get "her" jackpot a few times in a row. In "you got lucky", I got the super ball saver as a prize, so when I lost the ball (in a stupid way, I have to admit), I got a quote from Ray when the ball came back (and the display says "you got lucky"). Other than that, the quotes are pretty common.
unigroove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper strength on my game was 12 when I got it, and lowered it to 9. At 8 I could not make the ramp any more wit the right flipper. I figured there is no need to shoot the ball through the backside of the game and I don't wanna find out if the plastics are indeed unbreakable.
CraigC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome.

thanks for taking the vid.

-c
Kronis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedankt Joe.

I was hoping to see some puking aliens though. In good time, I guess Wink

BBB #21
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Wow... nice video... thanks.

john
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronis wrote:
Bedankt Joe.

I was hoping to see some puking aliens though. In good time, I guess Wink

U vraagt, wij draaien Razz
http://www.pinsandvids.com/bbj/aliens.avi

Any other requests?
Kronis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops- Ik betekende de dot matrix "match" versie. Mijn vrouw houdt van de cartoons, maar niet van de waitress toespraak...

BBB #21
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronis wrote:
Oops- Ik betekende de dot matrix "match" versie. Mijn vrouw houdt van de cartoons, maar niet van de waitress toespraak...

LOOL
Automatic translators are sooo funny (and useless) Razz

If you want to see the DMD animations and/or sound, then I suggest you install VP and play the simulation on your PC. You get almost perfect sound (the emulation of the Capcom sound hardware is not 100% correct), and you can see all the animations. You can also check out the settings menu.

You can find everything you need here:
http://www.pinsandvids.com/bbj/vp.exe

Run the exe-file and unpack to a temp directory. To install, follow these instructions:
- run visualpinball_7alpha.msi and install to the desired location. This installs the program that simulates the playfield hardware.
- copy runVP.bat, turnon.reg and turnoff.reg to the same place as vpinball.exe
- copy the folder vpinmame_153 to the desired location (doesn't have to be the same location as Visual Pinball) and after copying, run setup.exe (in the newly copied directory). This installs the emulator of the roms (game logic, animations and sound)
- copy the content of the roms directory to the roms directory of vpinmame
- copy the content of the tables directory to the tables directory of visual pinball

Now everything should be installed correctly. Run RunVP.bat and two windows should open: one dos-box (black) and visual pinball. Just leave the black window open, it will remove itself automatically after you exit VP. *Don't* close the window (edit ->) MANUALLY. Then open the BBB table, check some of the settings and press F5 to play.

Now you can see the animations and sounds with the best quality Very Happy

If you need more help with VP, let me know.

Last edited by BigBangJoe on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sellenoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be specific about VPM's sound for BBB that is not accurate? Try to be as thorough as possible.

I do recall that when I wrote the Capcom sound emulation for VPM there were some problems I ran into, and some hack work arounds I had to put in place, but that was a few years ago..

One of my goals in buying BBB was to fix up the VPM sound issues once I actually owned a capcom and could do some testing... Wink

Of course, that was before I had 2 kids, so it may be awhile before it happens..

Actually, it was while I was working on the sound emulation of BBB that I grew to really be intrigued by the game, which led me to play it at Lloyds, where I fell in love with the game, and which made the decision of buying one from IPB a no brainer.

Regards-
Steve

BigBangJoe wrote:
Kronis wrote:

LOOL
Automatic translators are sooo funny (and useless) Razz

If you want to see the DMD animations and/or sound, then I suggest you install VP and play the simulation on your PC. You get almost perfect sound (the emulation of the Capcom sound hardware is not 100% correct), and you can see all the animations. You can also check out the settings menu.

You can find everything you need here:
http://www.pinsandvids.com/bbj/vp.exe

Run the exe-file and unpack to a temp directory. To install, follow these instructions:
- run visualpinball_7alpha.msi and install to the desired location. This installs the program that simulates the playfield hardware.
- copy runVP.bat, turnon.reg and turnoff.reg to the same place as vpinball.exe
- copy the folder vpinmame_153 to the desired location (doesn't have to be the same location as Visual Pinball) and after copying, run setup.exe (in the newly copied directory). This installs the emulator of the roms (game logic, animations and sound)
- copy the content of the roms directory to the roms directory of vpinmame
- copy the content of the tables directory to the tables directory of visual pinball

Now everything should be installed correctly. Run RunVP.bat and two windows should open: one dos-box (black) and visual pinball. Just leave the black window open, it will remove itself automatically after you exit VP. *Don't* close the window automatically. Then open the BBB table, check some of the settings and press F5 to play.

Now you can see the animations and sounds with the best quality Very Happy

If you need more help with VP, let me know.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: One more thing Reply with quote

THANKS FOR THE VIDEOS JOE!!!

I really enjoyed watching them!!

Awesome!!

-Steve
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:
Can you be specific about VPM's sound for BBB that is not accurate? Try to be as thorough as possible.

Well the sound itself is perfect, but sometimes you hear a short break, a fraction of a second where there's no sound. It seems to happen everytime at the beginning of a new sample. For example, I always get it after the match sequence. When the waitress says "ewww", you hear a "click" in the beginning of the sample. It's always exactly at the same moment, so it's not random.

Do you get those small interuptions too? If you don't, then I could record it to a wav-file and send it to you.

Joe
Kronis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those interruptions too, but the problem seems to be fixed if I use a player that allows me to adjust the buffer. VLan was good- no breaks at all !

BBB #21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: