Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 27, 2005 update with pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
The finish isn't "smooth" but with the thickness of the decal this should not be a problem. I'll know more next week.

Kim,

I think the concern was the areas that would not get decals, like the top and back of the backbox and the rear and inside areas of the main cabinet.
BBB #74
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
The finish isn't "smooth" but with the thickness of the decal this should not be a problem.

Kim, having applied lots of decals of various types (including cabinet and back box decals), I've found that any imperfections on the surface to which the decal is applied will be easily visible on the surface of the decal. Glass-like smoothness isn't necessary, but if you can easily feel bumps, wood grain, etc. with your fingers you will see that in the surface of the decal.

You can possibly get by with a quick pass of 220 grit sand paper to knock off the worst of the imperfections on the surfaces where decals will be applied, unless the wood surface is significantly grained or chipped.

FYI,
Tony
BBB #39
unigroove

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tony. Please have some sanding paper ready to smooth out any rough areas as they will result in airbulbs otherwise...

Jonathan
runner1717

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
The finish isn't "smooth" but with the thickness of the decal this should not be a problem. I'll know more next week.
kim

I've done several decal jobs and can attest to the fact that ANY imperfection WILL show through the decals. Even a little speck of sawdust will make a rather large imperfection!

I hate to be a downer but the quality of the cabinets looks pretty poor. Maybe it's just the pictures but it looks like the paint coatings are thin and not very uniform. The wood grain is definitely showing and they look like they've already been scuffed up.

No screening on the rear is a real bummer as well............. Sad

If indeed these imperfection do exist I hope Gene rejects these cabinets!
Lou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather put the decals on myself than have decals that are less than perfect. It would take me less time to put them on to my satisfaction than to try to get a less than optimal job corrected and would be MUCH cheaper for everyone. As a matter of fact, if I just got a fully populated playfield, the cabinet with wiring harness and transformer, decals and boards and basic where stuff goes manual, I'd be willing to assemble it myself.
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the paint application seems uneven, and the texture grainy & rough. I didn't give it much thought at first, because I figured the decals would cover most of it (I've never done decals). The cabinets seem purple and black, while the backboxes look purple, bare, and black. My novice opinion is that both parts would benefit from higher quality plywood, more surface prep, and/or more coats of paint (perhaps including a primer type coat?).

It will be interesting to see how the test decal applications turn out.
Ringtail

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's true what they say, you can't please everyone. Personally i'm just happy to see the cabinets period Razz

What you guys need to remember is that a hell of a lot of effort is being put into these machines and i'm pretty sure that every time someone bends over backwards to give you pictures and inside info as to how things are going, they don't overly expect or enjoy the criticism which always seems to surface. I understand you have all invested up front for your pinball and you want to ensure it's perfect at every stage but please have some faith. I have no doubt that if a decal was put on and there were problems they would be dealt with and not ignored. We know Gene has someone experienced to apply the decals and he will know what he's doing so quit worrying Razz

With regard to the parts that aren't going to be decalled, it's a pinball machine and to that end it'll be fairly unlikely that it'll ever be standing in the middle of a room with the rear and top of the backbox in full view. Even if it was I get the feeling the attention of those looking at it would be drawn to rest of the cabinet. Razz

So to reitterate, we're currently like kids on christmas eve waiting for Santa to arrive. Take a deep breath, steal a cookie for the plate and try to relax. Our machines will arrive soon enough and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be of the highest standard possible. Thank those involved for keeping us in the loop, something many others would never dream of doing and trust them. They haven't lead you wrong yet Smile

Sorry for the rant ^^

Gareth
#69 It had to go to Holland really Razz
djb_rh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, no need for the rant. Nobody was biting anyone's head off or criticizing. They were *asking*. I can say that the pictures of the cabinets had me wondering, too. I've done cabinet decals and will agree with everyone else that has done them...any imperfection will show through.

If you can see *any* woodgrain on those sides or front, I'd rather have my machine complete and working but undecaled. In fact, I'd rather have it that way *no matter what*. Why? Because I have a master decal person close by that *will* do a better job than just about anyone else would. No, I'm not poopooing on work that hasn't even been done...I'm sure what IPB does will be fine for most. But my guy will do even better. And I'd rather have them done that way. It would be easier for all concerned if we didn't have to remove decals to do it, too.

But if I can't have it that way, I'll understand.

--Donnie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, you've totally missed the point here.

Kim is very likely not intimately familiar with the specifics of many aspects of game assembly. Several of us are, based on our restoration work, and we may have knowledge of areas where "gotchas" can cause real problems. Pointing out a potential problem is NOT a criticism leveled at Kim, Gene, Georgianna, PMI, IPB, or anyone else; it's an attempt to share our knowledge so someone else can learn from OUR mistakes.

I'd love to be able to take a month off from work and volunteer to help the nice folks at PMI complete this project; unfortunately, I can't do that as I have two daughters in college and two tuition bills that require my attention. Unless someone wants to volunteer plane fare and accommodations, the only way I CAN help is to offer any knowledge or expertise I may have.

Tony

Tony
BBB #39
blubboman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Cause for concern Reply with quote

I agree with everyone that is concerned about this issue. An advange with screening is that small imperfections are covered. With decals super small defects show right through.

Kim, please do your best to address this issue. It really is a big deal.

By the way, thanks for the update!
bspins

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tony and Donnie, here. I have done enough decals myself to know what the cabinet has to look like to get a perfect look. I too, would prefer to do my own decal install instead of leaving it up to someone else, but completely understand if that's not possible.

I have had ABSOLUTELY no problems with the quality of anything associated with BBB so far. Please don't compromise the quality of something as important as the cabinets.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
Bertl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great update! A single picture says more than 1000 words.

I am sure, as we have so much "pro's" here in the forum, the cabinet surface will be handled in a way so that the decal thing will come to a good end!

As everything on this great, amazing project!

brgds
Norbert
Swann

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an European buyer the picture that interested me the most was actually not the cabinet's (am sure they will do more paintjob's and fix the surface for nice and smooth aligment of decals)... but insteed I got very interested in the one showing the transformers!

Could any of the European Capcom-game owners look on the picture to figure out if this is similar dual power transformers or if it's 'only 110v' versions on the shelfs. Since I'm not familiar with how a regular Capcom-transformer would look like I can't make this out myself.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@swann

i own all 4 current machines (AB, BS, FF, PM) and all of them have a transformer, who can 110/230 V. The only thing you have to change is the power cable. (as the plug itself is different) I usually use a long power cable as used on computer.

Brgds
Norbert
Swann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Bertl,

What I mean is not the external connector-plug, but instead if the transformer is changeable between 110 and 220/240v (does yours look like the ones on the shelves?). If you just plug in the game without changing any jumpering on the transformer (if it's a dual power-version) in Europe you will surely blow some fuses and in the worst case destroy quite a bit of the game... (because what we see on the picture isn't a switching power supply that can 'intelligently' detect and work on both powers).

For example on WMS there's a keying-plug that attach to the transformer that changes the input from 110v -> 220/240v by selecting the appropriate wiring.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: