Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance for a BBB software update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unigroove

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Any chance for a BBB software update? Reply with quote

While playing my BBB I came across some minor things that I was wondering if they were intended, or perhaps would have been solved in a later sotware version, if one would have been made. I don't know if there is any chance for a software update, as I don't know who wrote the software and if the team still have the possibility to access the source code, or whatever it is called. Without the intention of spoiling any fun, allow me to list some things I noticed, which could perhaps be adjusted...? If you don't want any fun to be spoiled, dont read any further Smile

- no (new) skill shot after locking a ball and a new ball is released in the shooter lane. Could be intended, as it probably is more fair in multi player tournament games, but it could also be nice to have a skill shot after locking a ball.
- In a multiplayer tournament mode game, alien ball locks should be released after draining. In the current software another player can score Looped in space m-ball with 1 ball if a previous player already locked a ball. For Dutch tournaments this will mean the game will not be allowed to play in the tournament as this is considered unfair. Releasing any locked ball from the aliens after draining would solve this 'problem'. This could probably be an extra option in the menu: Release alien ball locks in multiplayer games? Yes/No. So far I did not find anything to make Looped in Space fair in multiplayer games.
- What probably happens only once in many, many games, but just happened to me: with all modes complete and the last mode still running, I shot a ball up the ramp which was locked as the second ball for Looped in Space m-ball. Looped in Space was started, but before the balls were released (and this is probably a coinsidence of just a second) the running mode timed out and the game lit up for Big Bang. However: no ball was released to the shooter lane, neither did the aliens release their locked balls. Only the one note samba tune was heard. So I had 2 balls locked in the aliens, and the game did not do any ball searches. The only solution was to remove a ball from the aliens, or manually release one in the shooterlane to continue. Like I said, this will probably occur perhaps once every thousand games, but it would be nice if it could be fixed.

These are the things I came across up till now. My game has version B 1.9 running according to the display when booted. If I find other things that could be improved, I'll post them here. I guess it would be nice if others who notice any bugs would report them too, so if someone decides to do an upgrade all suggestions are to be found in one topic.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a software guy for a LONG time, if the source code were available I'd gladly volunteer to do development / bug fix work. Kim, do you know if you received the software as part of the Capcom assets?

Tony
BBB #39
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadziedzic wrote:
Being a software guy for a LONG time, if the source code were available I'd gladly volunteer to do development / bug fix work. Kim, do you know if you received the software as part of the Capcom assets?

I'm a software guy too, but without the proper compiler(s) and development environment, the source code won't do anyone any good.

Maybe IPB has all that?
BBB #74
BBB94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are a few bugs left (as widely believed and now reported), I'd love to try and get a revised ROM done. If anyone knows Steven King, Bill Pfutzenreuter, Tony DeFeo, and/or Samuel Zehr maybe try to gage their percieved ability and interest in taking this on if the development tools are still available. I'd be willing to pay a fair amount for more refined ROMS.

I will ask Gene about the development hardware/software the next time I talk to him, which might be several weeks. If someone beats me to it - GREAT.

I don't think this should be attempted until at least 6 months after everyone gets thier machines so that we can hopefully identify all the major problems, most of the small problems, and maybe even come to a concensus on worthy additions (if any). Heck maybe there are even a bunch of planned ubt currently unused sound calls and Jeff would be willing to help increase the depth there. Same perhaps for the Dots.

Last edited by BBB94 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
unigroove

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also curious to hear what the owners of the original games found that could software wise be improved.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:

I'm a software guy too, but without the proper compiler(s) and development environment, the source code won't do anyone any good.

Maybe IPB has all that?

There are a number of 68k-series cross compilers out there that run on Linux, many of them free. Chances are half-way decent that the project could be successful even if we can't get access to the original compilers and development environment. I'd certainly be game to give it a shot.

Tony
BBB #39
unigroove

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the original programmers have access to this forum? I would not pass on them if they perhaps are more than willing to assist...
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:
Heck maybe there are even a bunch of planned ubt currently unused sound calls and Jeff would be willing to help increase the depth there. Same perhaps for the Dots.

You can access all the sounds and dots in the menu, and I have heard and seen almost all of them in the game. Some sounds/animations are played more frequent than others, but I don't think there's stuff in the roms that isn't actually used in the game, it's just that you probably didn't do the right things to trigger them yet.
Example is the Capcombo: you see that in the menu, but I only got that one once so far. Apparently you have to make any combo, and end it by shooting the captive balls. If you hit something else or it takes too long, it doesn't count, so I only managed to see it once. I'm pretty sure all sounds and animations are already used somewhere in the game. That's another reason why I like looking at other people playing: then I can see stuff on the display that you've never seen before
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any chance for a BBB software update? Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:

- In a multiplayer tournament mode game, alien ball locks should be released after draining. In the current software another player can score Looped in space m-ball with 1 ball if a previous player already locked a ball.
So far I did not find anything to make Looped in Space fair in multiplayer games.

That's the same as with Airborne: a ball locked for "dogfight" can also be "stolen" by the next player. On the other hand, if you release them after every drain, then you have to lock two balls within the same ball-in-play. I'm also not sure about the 3-ball multiball: what if player 1 locks 2 balls, then player 2 locks 3 balls and plays multiball. Then player 1 has also lost his locked balls as BBB has no autolauncher to give the "lost" balls back. I would have to check how the BBB software reacts to this situation.
If you want BBB to be 100% equal to all players, then you will have to let everyone play a single-player game.
BBB94

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:
do the original programmers have access to this forum? I would not pass on them if they perhaps are more than willing to assist...

I'm trying to contact the programmers through the people I know. I would be surprised if there weren't people that already know one or more of those guys - please reach out to them. I've met one of them, but know none. I have not yet determined if there were any programmers from Capcom that did not work on BBB. I don't think that any programmers are currently lurking here, but I sent instructions on how to join and a link to this thread so we'll see what happens.

BigBangJoe wrote:
You can access all the sounds and dots in the menu, and I have heard and seen almost all of them in the game. Some sounds/animations are played more frequent than others, but I don't think there's stuff in the roms that isn't actually used in the game, it's just that you probably didn't do the right things to trigger them yet.

Well the main thing that I've never done to hear the sounds and see the dots is play the real or virtual game much :-) It is good to hear that most if not all the sounds and dots are used. Another great credit to that team (Stern didn't tap into all the sounds and dots on LOTR until what v. 7 or 8).
Swann

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it would get to the point of a updated ROM, I see only basically four things currently;

Multiplayer tournament-mode
As unigroove says, this must be made more fair, draining both balls would solve the situation, then you have to lock the balls for the multiball on the same ball to start it.

Harder to reach wiz
I do think the game is a bit too easy, either make the wiz-mode into more stages (like CV) or plain harder to reach it.
To comply with general players, one can't add a "extremly hard" setting cause then it wouldn't be default anymore, nope, it must be a new ROM with a new default-setting.
(sure, I'm aware of that not everybody thinks this way, but then they can always use the old ROM instead.... and we're all happy, including the really good players).

Some humor-multiball/mode
Would be fun with variation of ordinary multiball or modes, like the cow video mode in MM instead of children.... of cause hard to get, and not so much points, just plain fun Wink
(This should be possible with current sounds, just need some new graphics, maybe not even that)

...and yes bug-fixes
Have encountered some, but couldn't repeat them, so I'll have come back later on in regards to that...
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: