Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capcom MPU

View previous topic :: View next topic  
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Capcom MPU Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere (not sure if it was here or RGP) that there was some form of security built into the MPU that would stop for example another MPU from a different Capcom machine being swapped in with the roms swapped. Does anyone know anything about that? I guess I am thinking about the future situation if an mpu dies beyond repair - can another one be successfully swapped in?
Vegemite Nick #123
unigroove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this was releated to Capcom? I recall something like that being the case on WPC boards where CPU and driverboard are 'paired'.
kcswanson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they can be swapped - The CPU boards are interchangeable between pin games that use the same CPU - just change the ROMS. The issue to which I think you are referring is that of the programmable logic chip (U16 as I recall), which is NLA even if its source code still existed. The rest of the parts on the CPU board are more or less still available.
BBB #35
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - so what happens if the programmable logic chip bites the dust?
Vegemite Nick #123
sellenoff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcswanson is correct on all counts. No issues swapping roms on the cpu board, there's no security. The U16 however, was custom programmed, and there's no way I know of to make more of those chips.. Once it's dead, the cpu board is worthless, you'll need a new one, or pull a working U16 from a different board.

If Gene has the code for this chip, he needs to look into running off another batch, it shouldn't be difficult, as I'm sure the plg chip is still fairly common and easy to find or one similar to it.

If Gene doesn't have the code, someone needs to find out who does, before it's to late.

In PinMAME we patched around the chip, which is why the emulation has issues. We know it does all the DMD Controllor functionality, but it also has some timers which we could never quite figure out how they were programmed, and possibly it has other stuff as well.

-Steve
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene mentioned in his interview with me that he had talked to the chip's designer about reverse engineering it, but it would cost some astronomical fee to do so ($10K or $50K - I don't remember - But it's in the video). That's why there are so many BBBs and no Kingpins. Also, Gene told me that he and Georgianna decided that he was only going to make ONE pingame.
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
Gene mentioned in his interview with me that he had talked to the chip's designer about reverse engineering it, but it would cost some astronomical fee to do so ($10K or $50K - I don't remember - But it's in the video). That's why there are so many BBBs and no Kingpins. Also, Gene told me that he and Georgianna decided that he was only going to make ONE pingame.

I don't understand why Gene didn't receive any source information on how the chip was programmed, doesn't he have the rights to that? If not, who still does?

Oh yeah, and if Gene has the actual game software source code, say for BBB (but any capcom will do), then I bet I could go a long way to figure out how the chip is programmed, by looking at how the source code is communicating with it, and could probably come up with a good replacement.

-Steve
unigroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, perhaps you should give Gene a call. Didn't you also discuss this with Steve Z. over a year ago?

Speaking of Capcom PCB's: I can buy a few spare boards. How much is reasonable?

Jonathan
awarner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion of the system is that the most potential for problems will come from the power driver board. My Pinball Magic has had issues since I got it and it's all about those huge caps on that board. I would suggest that if anyone plans to transport thier game a lot after getting it, that they maybe remove that board. There is nothing to hold those caps on other than the two plated through holes. Putting a stitch in helped, but when the traces are gone, the whole thing becomes very unreliable because the caps move anyway. I'm debating whether to buy another one for my Pinball Magic because it just is so unreliable.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: