Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 27, 2005 update with pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into my machines to see if it's the same as on the update pictures.

I am in the office now and have no machine around Sad so answer from my side is only available in the evening.

I have the manuals from the other machines here on my computer and as per them, all have a self switching power supply in it and i think that this is state-of-the-art today.

Maybe Kim can let us have the specifications of the power supplies.

Brgds
Norbert
Swann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me thinking there a bit, I just looked on a Pinball Magic manual and found the following;

The Power transformer has dual tapped primary windings which must be connected in parallel for AC voltages less than 200 and in series for voltages more then 200.

And this picture explains a bit;

So if the transformer looks the same, then we just need to key it proper (just as you do with a WMS-game).
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
unigroove

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the cabinets: since several people allready stated they rather put on the decals themselves, perhaps a poll would show how many would like to do so? It will save IPB/PMI also some time. I do have all confidence in the people applying the decals, but even I would not mind to add the decals myself. It will allow me to give the cabinet a good inspection first and get rid of any imperfactions or shades in paint. Since my game is going to Europe I also have no idea how big the risk of damaging applied decals is when shipped in a box overseas, but with no decals attached that risk would be zero.

Jonathan
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know maybe posting pictures wasn't such a good idea since all they seemed to do was make everyone crazy, it might be better if we stuck to text messages instead of pictures.
They are doing a test cabinet with the decals to see how well they will go on and whether the imperfections are going to show.
As for sending the cabinets back, this is not an option.
The idea of having to send the decals seperately will cause other problems. Decals are very time consuming to wrap for shipping and sometimes no matter how good the packaging they still end up bent on the ends or smashed.
What happens if they are damaged in transport or are damaged while you are putting them on?
As far as the paint, this is the pantone color that was specified and Steve okayed and the coverage is even on the cabinets the pictures just aren't showing it.
No there will be no printing on the back of the headbox.
I'm out of time and need to get back to work
kim
BBB93

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, I hope you are not discouraged from posting more pictures. I think that everyone here was more encouraged and excited by seeing the pictures and the progress than they were discouraged by any imperfections in the finish. I take the position that there hasn't even been any decals installed yet. As with everything, you try it out, take a look at the results and then you decide if you need to make adjustments as you go.

Please keep us posted about how the decal application goes. Please keep the updates comming, love the pictures.

Bob Stemmler #93
Belly-up tp The Big Bang Bar
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you!
kim
djb_rh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, please try not to get so defensive. It should be obvious by now that there are simply a lot of silly perfectionists who put in their deposits (myself included). We love the updates, we love that you take time to do them, and we love that you're so frank. Just don't take us so seriously. Smile

We're not attacking you guys. You could follow the same procedure that Williams did in putting decals on Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon, and there are several of us here would have rather put them on ourselves. That's just the way it is. There's assembly line decal installation, and there's "I want it *perfect"."

As for the shipping of decals, I understand if you guys don't want to do it. That's why my post originally said "if you can, great, but I'll understand if not." That said, if it's more work for you to ship decals safely than to *apply* them to a cabinet, well, we're in big trouble. Smile

--Donnie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kronis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim-

Keep posting pictures, and never mind what people post about it. PMI is in control of the manufacturing process, NOT us. You have a design specification to work from, we don't. As long as you are in control of the process, no one can attack you. The finished product's quality is the only meaningful factor.

As far as decal application, paint color, etc., the people giving their opinions are just reacting to pictures ! It's as good a bet as any, that the poor lighting / quality of the camera are to blame for these concerns. Anyone who wants to second-guess PMI or its design specification is welcome to, but for the present time, I think let's just wait for the first prototypes before pissing & moaning so loudly.
Sad

BBB #21
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@swann

just came back from my gameroom, sorry, i had to play a little bit Very Happy !

Yes, the power supplies can be changed like on your post. If the same ones are being installed in the BBB it's no problem to change the machines to 230V.

@kim

please do not stop posting pictures! Like in the cabinet case, this can only avoid problems! As already mentioned there are so many pro's here who can give positive input into the project.

Also, as far as i understood, the guys, which are putting the decals on the cabinets are well experienced, so they will check the surface of the cabinets very well before installing the decals on it.

Brgds
Norbert
nworker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

You rock!!!!! After your hesitation regarding the pictures, I can say that you are a professional baby. The pictures are great: clear, crisp and just the thing for me. It is great to see Gene. Now we just need pictures of you and your mom

After reading all the posts on the decal installation/surface preparation subject, it begs the question of availability of replacement decals. There has been discussion about the Playfields being available (dang I missed the first wave!) after construction is complete, and it would be great to have decals available. Just the thing for your favorite quality enthusiast!

Best Regards,

Hank
bspins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dearest Kim, don't ever forget, WE LOVE YOU, MAN!!

Please don't take my and others comments about the cabinets in a negative way. Instead, understand how nice we want the finished cabinet to look. No text on the back, no big deal. Imperfections in the decal finish, is a big deal. Remember, most of these pins are being sold to collectors and that's just the way a lot of us are.

I totally understand if installing decals by us is not possible. I think we were just tossing that out there as an option. Once again, keep in mind how nice we would like these to look.

I know how pics can make things look, especially when dealing with purples. If you tell me the finish on the backs is even and the decals will look nice when completed, then that's fine by me.

Keep the pics coming, when you get the time. I know they can be a pain. And lastly, thank you for even allowing us to be involved. You be honest with us and we'll be honest with you.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I APOLOGIZE if I came off a witch Embarassed Long day, alot going on and I was worried about the pictures making things look different than what they are. Kati (my daughter) took lots of pictures and then we narrowed them down to what was posted.
The issue with the packing is that I'm just not prepared for having to box them seperately and then on the off chance that that they are ruined somehow then what?
Yes we have extra but it just makes me nervous.
I do appreciate everyone that offers an opinion and solutions, you are correct I personally have never applied decals on a machine (it takes me forever to get my contact shelf paper on perfect) that was the reason we are having the test machine done
The people that are going to be doing the decals are pinball people who pried themselves on perfection and I'm quite sure he will tell me if these cabinets are not up to his standard.
I guess I was just so excited that we finally got these stupid cabinets that it was just a big let down.
We will take more pictures and Gene is going up to Chicago again this week to check with the assemblers and see where we are at on that.
Keep the opinions coming we do listen to what you guys and ladies have to say.
kim
bspins

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the apology, Kim. Not really necessary but always nice to hear. We've all been there before.

I am, once again, excited as hell about the cabinets. You show me one with decals installed and we may just have wood again.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene came back with a couple sample cabinets/decaled today and I am trying to get a better camera to take close up pictures. One of the guys that is getting a bbb was here dropping off something for my son. He's a bud, so I can state without a doubt that he is ANAL about his machines and he said that he would take either one of these cabinets.
There may be wood yet.
Pictures sometime later this week.
kim
blubboman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Awesome Kim Reply with quote

Thanks Kim for following up on the cabinets and please keep sending pictures. The pictures are great!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: