Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shopping the Pinball Magic...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> All Things Pinball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Shopping the Pinball Magic... Reply with quote

The forum has been a little quiet so I thought I would chronical my Pinball Magic Shop Job here.

Previous repairs: Resoldered all of the large capacitors and put stitches through the plated through holes. Previous owners had hacked the board to death (literally). The board has been less than stable even though because the caps have nothing to solder to with the pads missing in some cases. Not sure how to fix this right other than replacing the board. It's working now.

9/3/06 - I replaced the emitter LED for the opto on the lower ramp. I used a digital camera to be sure that the LED was in the right way. I also replaced the resistor on the board to be on the safe side (this is all that is on this little board). I tested it without reconnecting it to the ramp and it seems to work fine. I started removing parts from the upper playfield in anticipation of the mylar removal. The playfield looks to be in great condition, but almost every screw is oxidized, as are many of the metal parts. The plastics are good except the right slingshot, but I got another set from eBay some time ago. Also the "Color Changing Ball" was replaced with what looked to be a Chandellier dangler. The drop targets had one replaced with a non-capcom part and it was missing the sticker. All of thes parts were ordered and arrived some time ago. I got the lower portion of the playfield dissasembled. More tomorrow...
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9/04/06
Took more parts off of the game and removed the Mylar with the freeze spray method. I have to say that this might be the most complicated games I have ever shopped. It just seems like the machine just keeps reproducing parts (Maybe it's one of the Magician's Rabbits). Anyway I'm taking a TON of pictures of the process if anyone needs them in the future. I also have two friends with machines if I get really stuck. More as it develops.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
kcswanson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get a board with damage around the leads of a large part like an electrolytic capacitor that is normally supported by its leads the damage can be usually repaired by the following:

1. Glue the part to the board with some spots of hot glue or 5 minute epoxy. Don't use so much that you won't be able to break the part loose when it next needs to be changed. Silicone glue can also be used, but be sure it doesn't allow too much wiggling of the part.

2. Run wires (insulated if necessary) from the large component lead to at least one other part to which large part is electrically connected. Be sure to connect to parts on both sides of the damaged area if the plating runs though the damaged spot. Don't forget the traces on the top of the board. If the wires are long, tack them down here and there with a drop of hot glue ore silicone glue. If the large part connects to a plane (a large expanse of copper, often on an inner layer), run several wires from the large part leads out to the other components connected to the same plane in a "star" pattern.

Although not pretty, this type of repair can usually be expected to last for the lifetime of the board.

Good luck - Kurt
BBB #35
nworker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you measure the length of the stage ramp wire form? Or better yet take a picture of the ramp next to a tape measure. I have a PM that is complete save that ramp. I have searched high and low for one. Kerry offered to help if I can get the picture and measurements of the ramp.

You can mail the stuff to nworker@speakeasy.net.

Good luck on your shop. I did one a couple of years ago and it came out great. One of the other problems that I ran into was a lot of the opts went bad. I had a couple of driver board, or whatever you call that board on a Capcom, repairs. All in all I loved the game...
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Stage Wireform Reply with quote

I'll take a picture tonight with a tape measure.

-Al-
nworker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
awarner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Ramp Pics Reply with quote

BIG Pictures Below:

http://www.pinsandvids.com/temp/DSC_0085.jpg
http://www.pinsandvids.com/temp/DSC_0086.jpg
http://www.pinsandvids.com/temp/DSC_0087.jpg
http://www.pinsandvids.com/temp/DSC_0088.jpg
http://www.pinsandvids.com/temp/DSC_0089.jpg

Links instead of pics because they are SOOO big (2-3MB each). Please only D/L these if you need them.

Thanks,

-Al-
nworker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the first one and it was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to get me the picture.

Best of luck on the shop out!

nworker
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab all of them because I think the angle of the shot messes up the accuracy of the measurements. The other shots are close ups of the ends and bends and supports.

-Al-
awarner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Update... Reply with quote

Everything is off the playfield except some posts, one ball guide, and the stage assembly.

I took off the mylar with the freeze method. I pulled up a couple of the insert graphics, most notably. the Jackpot Arrow. I don't think it will be too terrible to fix though. I have been removing the glue with Naptha administered via a Pipette and a plastic razor blade. It works well but is very time consuming. You end up with clear boogers made from the glue and naptha combined. After it's done, I'll wipe it down with naptha and clean it good with Novus. Then, after fixing the inserts with super-glue and reproed graphics, I'll do a high polish on it.

The door that lets the ball out of the magic trunk had a broken plastic piece, but Bay Area had a complete NOS mech for $25 so I ordered that.

-Al-
rjones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: pinball magic Reply with quote

To pass a little time while waiting for an update...

I am far from a Capcom repair guy...

Any idea about fixing the below problems on my Pinball Magic...(suggestions very much appreciated!)

1) The left EOS switch is not registering. The flipper works and the switch looks fine. I can't understand the schematics to figure where that wire connects into the board. So that may be the problem.

2) My game ends and I start the next game but my score does not reset!

3) Kicks to many balls out at the start of each ball. I have not investigated this yet. So this might be an easy fix?

That does it....

By the way...anyone have a spare set of slings for this game???

Finally, I have a Break Shot for sale, if anyone in the Wash DC is interested. A good pin for $750.

Thanks for looking,

Rob J.
BBB93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pinball magic Reply with quote

rjones wrote:
To pass a little time while waiting for an update...

I am far from a Capcom repair guy...

Any idea about fixing the below problems on my Pinball Magic...(suggestions very much appreciated!)

1) The left EOS switch is not registering. The flipper works and the switch looks fine. I can't understand the schematics to figure where that wire connects into the board. So that may be the problem.

2) My game ends and I start the next game but my score does not reset!

3) Kicks to many balls out at the start of each ball. I have not investigated this yet. So this might be an easy fix?

That does it....

By the way...anyone have a spare set of slings for this game???

Finally, I have a Break Shot for sale, if anyone in the Wash DC is interested. A good pin for $750.

Thanks for looking,

Rob J.

Well, your more of a Capcom guy than I am, since you have 2 of them, so far I have none Crying or Very sad But that's OK, I have one on the way

As far as the score not resetting, that sounds really weird, are you saying that the game ends, you push the credit button to start a new game, and the next game starts with your total score from the previous game???

This is probably a long shot, but it "may" be related to the problem you have with too many balls kicking out at start up??? Check your ball trough switches (or optos....???) carefully. Sounds like the game is confused about how many balls are in play. Not sure if that relates to your score problem, but worth a look.

I may be interested in the Breakshot. Wish you were a little closer. You aren't traveling to Expo by chance are you?

Good luck with the PM Very Happy

Bob S
BBB#93
rjones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Pinball Magic! Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. The game ends with a score and then I press the start button and a new game begins (it says ball 1) without the score resetting to zero. After a couple of hours, I can match just about anyone's high score!!

Yes, I am going to the Expo. But currently plan on flying.

Thanks for your reply.

Rob J.
BBB93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pinball Magic! Reply with quote

rjones wrote:
Yes, that is correct. The game ends with a score and then I press the start button and a new game begins (it says ball 1) without the score resetting to zero. After a couple of hours, I can match just about anyone's high score!!

Yes, I am going to the Expo. But currently plan on flying.

Thanks for your reply.

Rob J.

Wow, that is really strange behavior and probably way over my head. It sounds almost like it is acting like you pushed the "Buy-in" button at the end of a game, where the score would naturally accumulate on the next ball. But the fact that it resets and goes to ball 1...??? Got me on that one, I would start to think that the on board memory may be screwed up. dontknow

The issue with the balls kicking out still could be related to the ball trough switches/optos. Whenever I have had issues like that, it always came back to the fact that the game was confused about how many balls were in play, or thinking there were not any in play. Put it in test mode and see if the trough switches all register?

Maybe you could bring the Breakshot to EXPO as checked in baggage???? Hope to see you there.

Bob S
awarner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capcom diagnotics are VERY thorough. Go into the menus and into Diagnostics and see what is reported as wrong. Test all of the switches and optos. Unless all of it is working, anything can be wrong. If the game is still acting up after fixing anything you've found wrong, think about getting some new ROMs for it.

Problem 1 - Go into switch test and see if it's registering. If not, make sure the wiring is good end to end. Match the wire colors going to the switch board. Check the connectors with a meter on a continuity test back to the switch and test the switch itself with the meter.

2) I'm not sure on this one. The "Continue" idea makes sense though.

3) The trough is controlled by optos, if one is out, it will mess up. Try looking at the sending side of the optos with a standard digital camera to see if the light is lit. Test the opposite side of thw opto with a flashlight in a dark room, the flashlight should fire the switch in test mode (worked for me with the opto I fixed).

Also, all of the LEDs on the top board in your game should be lit. If one is out, you'll need to repair that board.

Good Luck!

-Al-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> All Things Pinball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: