Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial Quality Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What was the initial quality of your BBB?
Nearly perfect (much better than Stern, etc.)
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Superior (better than Stern, etc.)
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Excellent (on par with Stern, etc.)
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Good (but not quite Stern, etc.)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Okay (noticably worse than Stern, etc.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor (Was this routed for a bit?)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Piss Poor (more wrong than right...)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Initial Quality Report Reply with quote

Yeah, so the BBB forum in not JD Powers, but what the heck...

What is you opinion of the initial (out of box) quality of your BBB?
mushroom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "nearly perfect", I want to hear the "piss poor" story ! Smile
unigroove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wanna sound harsh, but even a pinball magic is qualitywise better than what Stern has put out untill the new hardware system was introduced with WPT. Stern still can't stand in the shadow of wms, so comparing BBB with Stern is simply not right.

I'd say the game matches wms games from the late 90's where if you look at several aspects BBB is better than wms, but wms scores better in other areas. BBB tops any stern with enourmous distance.
latecomer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom wrote:
I voted "nearly perfect", I want to hear the "piss poor" story ! Smile

Do you think he might be taking the "piss" out of you? Smile
Vegemite Nick #123
mushroom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually I thought of voting "piss poor" too, just for fun !
I think somebody's pulling our leg ! Laughing
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:
I don't wanna sound harsh, but even a pinball magic is qualitywise better than what Stern has put out untill the new hardware system was introduced with WPT. Stern still can't stand in the shadow of wms, so comparing BBB with Stern is simply not right.

I'd say the game matches wms games from the late 90's where if you look at several aspects BBB is better than wms, but wms scores better in other areas. BBB tops any stern with enourmous distance.

Since I'm "new" to this hobby I have never and almost certainly never will purchase a NIB Williams or Bally, so I certainly will not be in a position to compare BBB to Williams, Bally, etc. It would be interesting to know the breakdown of BBB buyers that have:
1) purchased a recent Stern title NIB
2) purchased a Williams, Bally, Capcom, etc. title NIB
3) both 1 & 2
4) BBB is their first and only NIB purchase

I also figured it was a slightly fairer comparison (since production standards and labor quality change over time) to use a current "competitor".

I would by all means encourage people to comment on and contrast the BBB quality with that of Stern, Williams, Bally, Capcom, Sega, whoever - I know I would find the posts intereting.

Part of why I thought this poll would be good it that people could also post what initial problems they noticed, so that PMI could decide if additional attention is warranted on certain things and so that future recipients know what to check first.

I was also pondering a 500 game (or something) quality report poll. I'm open for suggestions on a meaningful increment; a good work out the bugs/expose trouble areas period.
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom wrote:
I want to hear the "piss poor" story ! :)

Wow, I just clicked through to the results to see that you were serious about someone voting that. That is surprising.

I can only think of three possible scenarios:
1) someone is trying to be funny or cruel and voted
2) a game got damaged in transit - which I would not blame PMI for nor count in this survey unless substandard packaging was the primary cause.
3) something went terribly wrong with quality control on a unit

I hope everyone that got a game votes so we can see what the real deal is. If someone did get a bad game and it was manufacturing issues that they are helping PMI learn from its errors so they can improve.
litz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are votes screened to be sure they are from recent recipients of the game and not someone else?
mushroom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question : am I the only European s*cker who still logs on to this forum multiple times a day ?? Judging by the number of replies, apparently ... I am . Smile
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than a few minor tweaks, everything worked perfectly. I'm especially impressed with the quality of the playfield and cabinet artwork. If you look at the print quality on any recent Stern, you will immediately see the dithering effect. On BBB however, you see no dots at all.

This is what I had to adjust on my game:
- I had to carefully change the angle of the game so that when the aliens drop the ball, they don't fall on the playfield. My current problem is that the first ball travels a bit upwards after being dropped. Then when the second ball is released, it regularly falls right on the first ball. I have no idea how to fix that. The alien mechanism is very cool and technically there is no problem, but because of the way it is designed, it is difficult to set the game up so that both balls are correctly released every time.
- The left droptarget of the middle bank hit the metal part just above it, so it wouldn't "stick". I placed the metal slightly higher.
- The left pop bumper was not sensitive enough, because the assembly was not aligned properly. (I don't know how to explain this, but I suppose that everyone knows what I mean)
- One of the flippers was not tightened hard enough, so its position was not correct after a few games.

That's about it. No other problems to report, so I voted "nearly perfect".
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that many more people have their machines and soon, everyone will have them I thought I'd bump this up.
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom wrote:
Another question : am I the only European s*cker who still logs on to this forum multiple times a day ?? Judging by the number of replies, apparently ... I am . Smile

No, me, too.

And i am still looking for one!

Brgds
Norbert
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we haven't had any complaints so if piss poor would like to come forward we would love to hear from him/her.

We knew there would be some small issues, switches, lites .... but piss poor?

Call me, call mom, call Gene or call TOG on Wednesday and tell us what the issues are.

I am quite sure if the game hasn't been damaged in any way we will make good on it.
blubboman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted nearly perfect.

I have bought 2 NIB Stern games but no others (I started collecting as WMS shut down pinball). The Sterns played fine out of the box with no real problems. My LOTR had a slight cab damage but the TSPP was fine. The Stern cabinet graphics and playfield art don't compare well to the BBB although TSPP is good. Stern just doesn't do that stuff great (I don't think).

The only thing I've had to do on the BBB is tighten the left flipper button leaf switch. It was a little loose causing some non-flips and phantom-flips. After that, it's been fine.

In terms of game play, all Capcom games play so fast with great flipper power. I think Capcom flippers are stronger and quicker than Williams ones. Everything seems tight on the BBB playfield - nothing wobbling around or loose. I'm a little worried about some of the stationary targets with that power. I think a couple of the European guys were worried about that also. Those two targets for the tube dancer get hammered, kind of like Whitewater.

So far, it's been fantastic.
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I had a problem with the left flipper swithch too...needed to tighten that up a bit. (Phantom flips, no flips, etc). Really a minor, minor issue...of course.

The start button was wired in wrong (on the wrong tab of the cherry switch...you'd hit it once, and it'd keep going). Again...minor.

The bottom pop bumper might be dead...I havent' looked at it yet (hey...I've had the game for 2 hours...okay??) I'm assuming it'll be a quick fix.

The game is fantastic...period. Minor issues don't bother me at all...

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: