Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You wanted an update?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: You wanted an update? Reply with quote

I spoke with Kim this morning and got a *little* information about the progress of the project. They will not disclose current production numbers or give an estimated delivery date so don't ask! But it didn't sound like they'd be ready for Expo as Gene had hoped.

I was told that work is progressing and that machines are constantly being built. There's nothing they can really give as an update other than that. Since the only remaining updates could be "We've got 80 machines done" and then a "We've got 110 machines done" which involve numbers, they won't happen. But rest assured work is continuing.

She did mention a couple of "glitches" that have happened. On a couple of machines, something got miswired and blew out the sound boards. The problem was *immediatley* identified and corrected so this would not happen in the future. Kim said they have plenty of spare sound boards so replacement was not a problem. So it sounds like as each game is completed, it is being tested. If any problem is found, it is corrected so as not to happen on future machines.

The other thing is that playfield assembly is happening so rapidly now that the harness suppliers can't keep up. So work is being slowed as harnesses trickle in. Harnesses are constantly coming in, but they are being used faster than supplied. This is not a *bad* thing, just a hiccup in the production process.

Kim was trying to talk Gene into letting her have her personal BBB at the NAPPA show so that attendees may see it and sign the inside of her cabinet. This is still an uncertainty so don't count on it.

I was very satisfied with the information I got from Kim. Personally, I didn't expect any earth-shattering update so what I did learn was more than expected.

Hope this information quells some of your hunger!
BBB #74
latecomer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert, appreciate the update. Exclamation

This seems very positive.
Vegemite Nick #123
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all I wanted to hear. Absolutely perfect...thanks for finding out the info.

Pete
blubboman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thanks for filling us in a little. I will try to find out more this Saturday.

It's kind of funny because I saw Kim's machine a long time ago the first time they had all the boards hooked up and the game was in diagnostic mode. The pictures I took date from November 2005! I guess that's decent progress toward finishing all the games.
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, quick question about the following:

Quote:
But it didn't sound like they'd be ready for Expo as Gene had hoped.

Just looking for a clarification of what this meant. Did the conversation go like:

RW: "Hey Kim...do you think the games will be ready by expo?"
Kim: "Well, I can't disclose that."

or....

Kim: "Hell no!" (followed by three minutes of hysterical laughter).

or....

Kim: "You're on crack."

or....

Kim: "Only for Pete Mathis...because he is ridiculously good looking. The rest of you slobs will have to wait."

Let me know...I'm pretty sure it's the 4th one.
Pete
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmwolf3 wrote:
Robert, quick question about the following:
Quote:
But it didn't sound like they'd be ready for Expo as Gene had hoped.

Just looking for a clarification of what this meant.

There was no direct question like "So, are the games going to be done by Expo?". It was more like Kim saying during the course of the conversation, "The games will probably not be finished by Expo as Gene had hoped." or something like that.

And I don't remember her mentioning you by name either. Sorry! Confused
BBB #74
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, Thanks for the info.

Any news...is good news! That will quinch the thirst for another month or two!

Maybe, we will get lucky with a little more of an update, from a few who attend this coming up weekend event on 10/14.

Thanks again!

Kerry Richard #111
BBB93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, went to the NAPPA show today in Bloominton IL. Was treated to a nice tour of PMI, aka.... Intergelactic headquarters. It was a great sight to see so many BBB's lined up in the assembly room and lots of evidence of great progress. Can't give you specific numbers, as I was not privey to that info, but I did see many completed games. I showed up to the NAPPA show about 10 minutes late, as a group had just left with Gene to go have a look. Fortuantly Kim was still at the show and quickly offered to take me over to PMI so I could join the group, Really made my day

I think there was about 8 machines in the main assembly room, all with wired playfields installed, and about another 12 or so finished in a staging area ready to be boxed. I heard that there were some more machines that had already been completed and boxed and in different part of the complex. Saw both some brass prototype machines and the standard "black" machines. Kim's completed machine was also there, many of us had a chance to sign the inside of her cabinet.

What I saw really looked great. It was hard leaving without a machine in the back of my truck, but it is comforting to see that real progress is being made. Rest assured things are moving along. I was hoping to see my number 93 BBB somewhere, but unfortuantly did not. Crying or Very sad

Spent quite a while talking with Kim, she is really a sweetheart. Was very nice of her to take me on the tour and spend so much time with me even though she was very busy with the show. Also spent some time talking with Georgianna, very nice lady, first class all the way.

Wish I could tell you more, like how many are done or when they might be complete, but we will just have to wait, I think it will be well worth it.

Bob S.
briguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went on the BBB tour today (10/14/06). Gene let us take a lot of pictures. I will provide a link to the pictures later today or tomorrow. I also have information on production numbers and etc.
BBB #25
Kronis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, Brian- I appreciate you guys doing these sanity checks for the rest of us and sharing the information.

BBB #21
latecomer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, can't wait for that link and most of all, the production numbers! Come on - do tell! Very Happy
Vegemite Nick #123
blubboman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Production numbers Reply with quote

Gene wouldn't comment on how many were complete (believe me, he was asked many times!). He did imply based on some comments that they were about half way through the production. He also said there were about a dozen populated playfields expected Monday to continue loading into cabinets. I tried to guess a little based on how many parts were lying around. There are too many playfields to estimate on that (he made about 220), but there were 4 to 5 dozen transformers laying out. I don't think he'd move out more of those than he needed (they're too freakin' heavy!).

As for finishing, he was also asked many times. He said by Expo, no. By Christmas, maybe.

Blubbo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: