Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday Wishes from Stan Fukuoka to the BBB forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Holiday Wishes from Stan Fukuoka to the BBB forum Reply with quote

latecomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Exclamation Twisted Evil

I'm thinking the words "big" "bang" and "bar" and it aint got nothing to do with pinball
Vegemite Nick #123
bspins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO

Thanks, Steve and Stan. Tough to return greetings quite like that.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
unigroove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasons greetings in return! Keep those images coming Very Happy
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan friggin' rocks!

Where did you get this? Obviously, drawn very recently....did someone see him and comission this work?

Great stuff.

By the way...how do you pronounce his last name?

fuh ---- kwo ---- ka?
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan & Steve,
Shocked Many thanks!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Happy Holidays & Best Wishes from BBB Crew!

TOG

P.S. Love that factory air!!!
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmwolf3 wrote:
Stan friggin' rocks!

Where did you get this? Obviously, drawn very recently....did someone see him and comission this work?

Stan sent it out as a Holiday Greeting card. It's great isn't it? He sent a similar card out last year, which can be seen in the Pingame Journal.

pmwolf3 wrote:
By the way...how do you pronounce his last name?

fuh ---- kwo ---- ka?

It's pronounced "foo-koo-oh-ka" (Strictly speaking the foo sounds like a cross between "foo" and "who"--of course, I'm a sansei so I can't really even pronounce my own last name correctly).

An amusing story about Stan's name: After Breakshot came out, designer Greg Kmiec got a call from one of his old buddies who was at Williams. "What kind of message is Capcom trying to send us with that translite?" his friend demanded. Puzzled, Greg asked what he was talking about. "Oh, don't play dumb, we saw how that artist signed his name--Fukuoka. What a totally fake name! You're just trying to say something like F U AOK!"

Of course there were real references to Williams hidden in other Capcom artwork. And then there was the Data East artist who got in trouble for rendering the Capcom factory amongst the rubble in the ID4 translite...

The Other Guy wrote:

P.S. Love that factory air!!!

Hey TOG. I'm not sure what you meant by that comment, but you should see what that PMI factory air did to my camera lens! I've spent the last 45 days touching up pictures from that visit (it was a great way to learn how to use the Photoshop healing tool to remove dust specks). Some pictures required hundreds of touchups! Just finished the last one tonight!

steve SDTM
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmwolf3 wrote:
Obviously, drawn very recently....did someone see him and comission this work?

Stan did one last year too - it was printed in the Pingame Journal #114 pg 13.
awarner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Avatar (look to the left) is from last year's Holiday Picture.

Stan is an awesome artist and a great guy! He's doing something special for Pins & Vids #3, the BBB edition.

I've always been amazed at how accessible many of these people are and how they love to talk about this stuff. It's so cool!

-Al-

PS - Yes, the picture above is about a month old or less. I saw it about 3 weeks ago for the first time (in a lower resolution version).
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Holiday Wishes from Stan Fukuoka to the BBB forum Reply with quote

Just for concept sake, why doesn't someone ask Stan to think about doing something like a graphic book of futuristic BBB chicks/aliens/spacey-stuff?

I would definitely be into buying a nice signed copy or two and I would hope he could make a few clams in the process.

I was looking at the glass on my Star Race a while ago and wished I had a book like that from Gordon Morison before he passed on...

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2353&picno=12667

Cheers,
Rob
BBB94

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Holiday Wishes from Stan Fukuoka to the BBB forum Reply with quote

just plain rob wrote:
why doesn't someone ask Stan to think about doing something like a graphic book of futuristic BBB chicks/aliens/spacey-stuff?

I asked Stan some time ago if he plans to publish a book of his art, as I too thought it would be a great idea. He stated that he would like to - someday. He is too busy now. I too would buy such a book in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I suspect it will be quite some time before we hear "This will be your final Christmas without a 'The Artwork of Stan Fukuoka' book", but you never know. :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: