Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the European owners thoughts after 6 months?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
latecomer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: What are the European owners thoughts after 6 months? Reply with quote

Well a number of people have lived with their BBB now for over half a year. As things are pretty quiet for the rest of us at the moment, I was wondering if anyone would be prepared to share their thoughts after owning a BBB for this long?
Vegemite Nick #123
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: BBB Reply with quote

One of my customers claims to have bought a BBB from Europe and wants us to change over the power etc.

not sure what he paid or what game number it is
latecomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No power change over needed, just 2 minutes changing the jumpers.

So is it true?
Vegemite Nick #123
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: BBB Reply with quote

need AUD power plug
also needs certification to AUD Standards and tested and tagged by Law.

He mentioned there was some other things he wanted done to it, not sure what until it arrives.

He is a stock broker, it will be interesting to see.
mushroom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much takers apparently ! Smile
Mine's still going strong ! I'd need to adjust the "A" roll-over switch a bit and that's it ! Game still looks stunning !
Anyway, in a couple of weeks it will be packed up and moved to my mothers place, in december when my new house is hopefully finished she'll get a second life in my living room along three others. Theoretically my PM prototype should be one of them, I also thought about an Airborne (still my favourite capcom besides BBB ofcourse) but my brother in law just bought one, and the fourth game could be KP ! Smile So, if Gene and Co decide to make KP I'd probably buy one.
Still on the drwaing table for my interior walls and still searching for a spot to squeeze in a Breakshot Smile Breakshot's a different size so I don't want to put it next to the other games.
The purpose is to have a Capcom Pinball Walhalla ! Smile
Swann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game has been on location for quite a while now, in regards to earnings it's not the strongest title (which is actually NBA Fastbreak on this location), but it's doing fairly ok.

If we look on mechanics and how it's handling the stress of being on location, it looks like it came out of the box still, just a tiny bit of dirt here and there.

Some things though;

1. Ball can get stuck on the right side (below) of the extra ball drop target, a little shake of the game is required to get it going.

2. Ball release from the aliens only as they should when the game is properly aligned. The best would be if someone constructed a protector-kit that guaranteed that the balls gets released into the ramps.

3. The EL-connector construction isn't very good, not made for service, in time we will see a lots of need for new lights after bad connectors shows up.

4. strenght of kickers and flippers has to be adjusted gradually after that the game gets played-in. The first settings (not factory-wise) are only reasonable values for a while before 'burn-in' through playing.

5. Cab-decals handles fine after doing the cut of a thin line (1-2mm) behind the edge of the legs. The game is really sturdy.

Well that was it I think, will add more posts if I remember something more Smile
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
unigroove

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still is a great game, even after 6 months. I currently own the only BBB in Holland that is in a private collection, as the other is on location and the 3rd one has been sold appearantly.
In those months I did not play the game that often, as I have been extremely busy with other things. I just checked some data on the game:
It has been turned on in total for 1 day and 13 hours, and most of that time also been played.
249 games have been played, with unlimited extra ball buyin. In total 1053 balls have been played.
This week I noticed a little wear around the Dartz kickout, which I was able to take care of right away. Few weeks ago I a wire of one of the centerbank droptargets came loose, which was easy to solder back in place. The only current 'problem' is the switches in rays BallBusters don't register the balls all the time, but when all on 1 side they work OK. Also releasing the locked alien balls occasionally doe not go correct and the ball is dropped inbetween the aliens.

Few weeks ago had a hilarious situation when a guy I hardly know asked my girlfriend some questions. If she was allowed to play BBB?
she: Oh that's that special game right? yeah we play that most of the time if we play pinball.
He: do you have to pay 2 euro a game? (I actually got many requests from people I hardly know to come over and said they all are welcome but should pay 2 euro a game, after which nobody was interested anymore Smile)
She: Huh? what are you talking about? I never have to pay to play pinball.
Then he askes her if I am watching my BBB during sex, or wether I focussed on her...
My girl reacted in the best way possible (and she even surprised me completely): "Sex? I beg your pardon? Was there a wedding I missed? Do I look that cheap? You think I lay on my back because I can play some pinball?" The look on that guys face was priceless and he didnt know how to save himself from that situation. I almost wet myself from laughter Smile
BBB #2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats funny!!!
I would have loved to seen his face.
Your girl friend and my wife would get along very well. Laughing

Thanks for the update.

Bill
BBB #2
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:
This week I noticed a little wear around the Dartz kickout, which I was able to take care of right away.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Do we need to recruit Cliffy to design a protector for us?

Thanks,
Tony
BBB #39
BBB93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swann wrote:
5. Cab-decals handles fine after doing the cut of a thin line (1-2mm) behind the edge of the legs. The game is really sturdy

Is the consenses that cutting a line in the decal behind the leg edge best way to protect the cabinet decals? Or are cabinet protectors better? Or perhaps a combination or the 2? Wondering if I should be ordering a set of protectors in anticipation. Wink

Bob S
BBB93
marspinball

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB93 wrote:
Swann wrote:
5. Cab-decals handles fine after doing the cut of a thin line (1-2mm) behind the edge of the legs. The game is really sturdy

Is the consensus that cutting a line in the decal behind the leg edge best way to protect the cabinet decals? Or are cabinet protectors better? Or perhaps a combination or the 2? Wondering if I should be ordering a set of protectors in anticipation. Wink

Bob S
BBB93

I was going to get leg protectors anyways but after reading this thread I'm definitely going to order some soon. My only problem is choosing the best color. Either black, dark blue, or clear. Here is a site with pictures and the best price I could find.

http://bcspinball.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_10_62&products_id=65

Any suggestions on what the best color would be??
BBB #131
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Color Reply with quote

Because there are no Purple protectors, I would say the best choice is Black or Clear.

I'm going with Clear.

I'm also going to install cabinet protectors around the buttons. I have a set on my TSPP and you can hardly tell that they are there. (http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC-VP-CN&Category_Code=)

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely installing legs protectors. However, I personally don't like the looks of the colored plastic ones that extend out beyond the leg edge 1/2".

I use the heavy duty felt protectors that are hidden by the leg. They're available for about $15-$20 a set of 4.

BTW: I would never cut the graphics around the leg. That's just me.

Kerry Richard #111
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB93 wrote:
Swann wrote:

Is the consenses that cutting a line in the decal behind the leg edge best way to protect the cabinet decals? Or are cabinet protectors better? Or perhaps a combination or the 2? Wondering if I should be ordering a set of protectors in anticipation. Wink

Bob S
BBB93

After a few days, I noticed that the decals were getting damaged around the legs. Then I installed transparent plastic leg protectors, and there's no damage anymore. I think that's a better solution than to cut in the artwork.
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the game that much the last few months, because we're doing a lot of work on the gameroom (*everything* has to be replaced/rebuilt).

The only "problem" I have, is that the aliens don't drop the balls on the rails. Mostly one of them is released on the rails, but the other one is dropped on top of the first one, so it falls on the playfield. I can probably fix that by carefully levelling the game, but I haven't had the time yet to do that.

Other than that, there are no technical problems at all, and the game still looks stunning.

(The tube dancer is still not in the game, because I lost one of those tiny screws and I can't find a replacement SadSadSadSad but that's my own stupid fault)

Concerning the fun-factor: BBB is probably not the best game of all time in terms of game-play. The rules are a bit simple, and there's not that much choice of strategy. If you can reliably get the ball up the ramp, you can get pretty far. Casual players, who don't have a clue that this is a special machine, mostly like TAF more.

The theme, the artwork, the dots, the sound and the lighting are all triple-A, but the rules could have been a bit deeper for home use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: