Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the European owners thoughts after 6 months?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Fix for Aliens Reply with quote

Gene told me that the aliens were a big problem for them. It's more of an angle thing than anything. To correct it in games being shipped, they have put a little more paint in the alien's mouths. This makes the ball fall out easier. It's a shame that they didn't put a coil in there to keep the balls in and release it when it got to the other sides. If you angle the game a little more it might help. Or you could try and match the mouthe paint...
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have time, I want to start a "Tips & Tricks" section in the forum where we can share info on features & adjustments to make these games better...
For now, if an alien doesn't spit well; Pick up some acrylic paint at a hobby store or Wal-Mart and put a drop on the tounge area to get the ball to move sooner... Be creative... Wink Wink Wink

TOG
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Leg protectors, my thoughts... Reply with quote

Thought I would express my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

The hard plastic protectors will reduce the force some due to the leg being bolted on, but you are just moving the hard point out. Personally, I believe the felt to be a better choice for reducing future damage. I have used the hard protectors on one game (soon to be two) for covering previous damage. I still install them over the felt to prevent additional damage.

Typically I find that I need to trim the the felt back slightly to not be visible. But there is no contact between the metal leg and the side, it's all through the felt.

Since you'll get this game new, the felt should prevent anything from getting started and eliminate the need for the hard type protector. I would be concerned that down the road you will have issues with the hard plastic protector, maybe a little less, take a little longer, be further out, but the bottom line is you could still have the same issues. My $.02, FWIW.

Yes, I have a set of felt protectors at the ready for when the game comes.

Bernie
BBB93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Leg protectors, my thoughts... Reply with quote

irbgolfin wrote:
Thought I would express my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

The hard plastic protectors will reduce the force some due to the leg being bolted on, but you are just moving the hard point out. Personally, I believe the felt to be a better choice for reducing future damage. I have used the hard protectors on one game (soon to be two) for covering previous damage. I still install them over the felt to prevent additional damage.

Bernie

I like the thought of using felt instead of the hard plastic. Bad thing is, I ordered a set of the plastic protectors this morning Mad Ah well, sure I can use those on one of my older games. Any suggestions on felt pads that you have been happy with?

Bob S
BBB93
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Felt pad... Reply with quote

I tried a couple of sets from Marco last year to check them out, and then I recently ordered a 10 pack from Bay Area (frequent customer/bulk discount, figured I'd stock up, think it worked out to $8-9 per machine), can't tell you the brand, but whatever they carry. Seem identical to me. I've got a pretty nice MB that I got in 2000 and had been in a home before me (though presumably on route before), but very nice shape, great playfield, minimal problems in wear areas. But some wrinkling around the legs was still there. Ended up purchasing a set of blue plastic protectors that protrude enough to hide the wrinkles, and installing over a set of felt, and am happy with it. Now I put the felt on any game that comes in, regardless of what it looks like, figure I'll keep from making things any worse - though I have a basically full game room and nothing to get rid of...

I don't care for it being visible, so I try to trim the minimal amount necessary to hide it, which will still prevent direct contact between the leg and the side, which is the key to the wear. The hard plastic can hide some of the nasty stuff, but my personal opinion is that by itself it is NOT a long term solution to preventing wear, just delaying/moving. YMMV!

Bernie
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt pad... Reply with quote

irbgolfin wrote:
The hard plastic can hide some of the nasty stuff, but my personal opinion is that by itself it is NOT a long term solution to preventing wear, just delaying/moving. YMMV!

I personally use the Sintra plastic PinCab protectors on all my games. I've had them installed on games I've freshly decaled and never had a problem with damage/movement under the plastic when I've removed the legs. I don't like the felt option.

To each his own...
BBB #74
capcomber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only "problem" I have, is that the aliens don't drop the balls on the rails. Mostly one of them is released on the rails, but the other one is dropped on top of the first one, so it falls on the playfield. I can probably fix that by carefully levelling the game, but I haven't had the time yet to do that.

I've seen this to be a problem on all the BBB's I've played.
I've probably played 4 or 5 different ones over the years.
I'm sure it's nothing a little tweaking won't cure.
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a dumb question...but:

Why can't I just buy a big piece of felt and cut out my own protectors?

Does anybody do this?
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmwolf3 wrote:
Why can't I just buy a big piece of felt and cut out my own protectors?

Some people do just that. However, the felt cabinet protectors that are sold are die-cut to the appropriate outline, and have holes punched for the leg bolts.

Tony
BBB #39
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I'd be curious to know what it is about the felt option you don't care for. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Installing leg protectors of some kind is relatively new for me, and I was just going with my gut as to what would be best. I have used the plastic on a couple of pins for the purpose of hiding prior damage. Particularly with a new pin like BBB I'd like to take good care of it from the start to avoid damage if possible.

Thanks for any info!

Bernie
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capcomber wrote:
I've seen this to be a problem on all the BBB's I've played.I've probably played 4 or 5 different ones over the years.
I'm sure it's nothing a little tweaking won't cure.

Sure, but first I've got to find out how to tweak it exactly. The problem is not that the balls don't fall out, but the first ball travels a bit up the rail when it's released, instead of rolling down. So the right alien releases first, the ball rolls up just under the left alien, just when the second ball is dropped, so the second ball falls on top of the first ball.
It has worked before, but every time you move the pin, you have to tweak this again. With my method of trial and error, that means a lot of tweaking. If only I would understand what to do exactly when I see a certain thing happening...
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the alien ball release problems, it's still the coolest ball lock/release gizmo I've ever seen. I also like the way Twister releases the balls, with the magnet and the spinning disk. Pity that the rest of the game stinks.

Oh yeah, I remember another "problem" I have. Well, it's more a design fault really, because there's nothing wrong with my machine. When the ball can be locked with the Aliens, a diverter opens when the ball goes up the ramp so the ball should be guided to the aliens. However, on my game, the ball often does not have enough speed to reach the aliens, but it does manage to continue along the ramp, so it's not that there's no speed at all. It's a bit frustrating when you send the ball up hoping to lock it, but the ball just travels round to the right flipper and you get no reward at all. At that point I feel a bit cheated, because the lock fails just because the diverter cannot properly pick it up. There's a difference between the ball falling back down the ramp so you obviously don't get any reward, and actually making the shot but still not getting the reward.

It's not a big deal, but because of this, the aliens don't have to work that hard. I really would like to see them do their stuff more often.

Compare it with the highwire-lock in CV. If the magnet cannot grab the ball (for whatever reason), so the ball is not actually locked, you still get a virtual lock because you made the shot. The game recognizes that you should be rewarded with a locked ball. Obviously, with the aliens and the manual plunger this could not be solved in software, so the diverter should have been designed so that the ball gets to the aliens even if it's not going at light-speed.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irbgolfin wrote:
Hi Robert,

I'd be curious to know what it is about the felt option you don't care for. Just wondering if I'm missing something. Installing leg protectors of some kind is relatively new for me, and I was just going with my gut as to what would be best. I have used the plastic on a couple of pins for the purpose of hiding prior damage. Particularly with a new pin like BBB I'd like to take good care of it from the start to avoid damage if possible.

It's mostly a preference thing I guess.

IMO, the felt won't distribute the pressure the way the plastic protectors do. Since the legs touch the cabinet on their edge and don't lie flat, the felt will only cushion the edges of the leg and could still allow the decal to shift/wrinkle if there's much movement with the legs.
BBB #74
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Protectors Reply with quote

We have sold and used thousands of the Felt ones and Have not had this problem
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with robert. I've had nothing but good luck with the sintra protectors. I've seen the felt ones stick to older cabinets.

-c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: