Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help switch question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Help switch question Reply with quote

Can someone pleases explain how adding a diode to a leaf switch impacts the way the switch works?
If the bom calls for a switch without a diode can one be used if it has a diode soldered on?
I know if it calls for a diode it has to have it.
Thanks for your help
kim
Swann

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick reply since I'm about to leave here at work.

If the switch is connected in a so called Switch-matrix there has to be a diod so that when the software scan's/strobe's there won't be any detection of other switches (that is a switch in a matrix doesn't have a dedicated I/O port to the CPU).

...but if the switch has a dedicated I/O port directly to the CPU there is no need for a diod.

Of cause there could also be a lots of other electrical reasons why one would place diods (or not) on different locations but above is the most normal reasons.

To answer your question, if one can use one with a diod where you don't need one, the answer is 'generally yes'... One have to look into the circuitry to give a exact answer.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help switch question Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
Can someone pleases explain how adding a diode to a leaf switch impacts the way the switch works?
If the bom calls for a switch without a diode can one be used if it has a diode soldered on?
Thanks for your help
kim

Kim, the answer is "it depends on the specific application". As someone already mentioned, the diode is used in matrix configurations to allow the game to detect operation of discrete switches without requiring individual connections to each switch. Williams uses this technique in their games.

Capcom wired each switch individually to a "switch board" with electronics that detects each switch individually. The presence of the diode will probably confuse the game electronics, especially if the diode is wired in one direction or the other.

My guess is that it won't work, or will cause problems. If you'd like to shoot me a copy of the schematic and the switch specifics I'd be glad to give you a more specific answer.

Tony Dziedzic

(Kim, if you'd like to chat personally about this, my e-mail is tony@dziedzic.us; cell is 603-682-6750.)
BBB #39
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you gentlemen,
Part of our switches have the diode, the majority don't. Had me worried
kim
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Diodes Reply with quote

I would say if the diode is not on the switch itself, it maybe either on a diode board or even on the driver board itself.

Be careful to put the diode on the right way around or it will cause lots of switches to work at the same time.

Capacitors were used on older games to help detect a ball hitting a switch
if the switch was hit too quick is sometimes did not register.
unigroove

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, you just made me relive the month I spent with you guys: diodes, diodes, diodes....

If the specifications call for a diode, use it. Basically what a diode does it allows the current to flow only in 1 direction. Therefor it is very important all diodes are installed in the correct position. You can tell by a small band that is printed on one side of the diode. With lampholders and switches all diodes usually are mounted in the same direction. If this gets messed up I foresee big problems once installed the wrong way.

be carefull

Jonathan
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unigroove wrote:

If the specifications call for a diode, use it.
Jonathan

Jonathan, Kim's question was the other way around: if the switch shouldn't have a diode, is it a problem that there is one connected?

Joe
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Clay's Site:

Quote:
Capcom had the great idea of not mounting a diode on each playfield switch. Instead, the diodes were mounted on a long skinny switch matrix board in the back box. This made switch replacement easier for the operator.

In the case of all the other pinball manufacturers, they would run a single switch Row and Column wire to a playfield switch, and then daisy chain the rows and columns to each switch. Also each switch had its own diode. Also there was but one connector for the eight switch row, and one connector for the eight switch columns.

But in the case of Capcom, since each switch's diode was remotely mounted on the switch matrix board in the backbox, a two separate wires were needed for each of the 64 switches! This meant instead of two 8 pin connectors (16 wires total), on Capcom games there are 64 wires (plus ground wires). And of course this means there are way more connectors for these additional wire (all are the smaller .100 style connectors too). More connectors are bad, as reliability suffers (most Capcom connectors are the IDC type).

That said, the switches with diodes should have them cut off to avoid any logic problems.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
christian1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be just as easy to open up Gene's BBB and physically look at the switches?

Jon

awarner wrote:
From Clay's Site:

Quote:
Capcom had the great idea of not mounting a diode on each playfield switch. Instead, the diodes were mounted on a long skinny switch matrix board in the back box. This made switch replacement easier for the operator.

In the case of all the other pinball manufacturers, they would run a single switch Row and Column wire to a playfield switch, and then daisy chain the rows and columns to each switch. Also each switch had its own diode. Also there was but one connector for the eight switch row, and one connector for the eight switch columns.

But in the case of Capcom, since each switch's diode was remotely mounted on the switch matrix board in the backbox, a two separate wires were needed for each of the 64 switches! This meant instead of two 8 pin connectors (16 wires total), on Capcom games there are 64 wires (plus ground wires). And of course this means there are way more connectors for these additional wire (all are the smaller .100 style connectors too). More connectors are bad, as reliability suffers (most Capcom connectors are the IDC type).

That said, the switches with diodes should have them cut off to avoid any logic problems.

-Al-

BBB #10
bbb96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help switch question Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
Thanks for your help
kim

Kim,

When in doubt, I would verify the BOM against Gene's Big Bang Bar for any diode / switch assemblies. In fact, use Gene's machine for any questions you have about the BOM. This will be an easy way to check the accuracy of the Bill Of Materials.

If Gene's machine has the diode on the switch, leave the diode on the switch.

If Gene's machine doesn't have the diode on the switch, don't use a diode on the switch.

- Jeff
bbb96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jon - use Gene's machine for reference.

I just checked my Breakshot schematics along with the actually machine and the diodes ARE installed on the switches and there is not a diode board in the backbox for the switches.

SUMMARY: Use Gene's machine as your reference.

- Jeff

christian1 wrote:
Wouldn't it be just as easy to open up Gene's BBB and physically look at the switches?

Jon

awarner wrote:
From Clay's Site:

Quote:

-Al-
mushroom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euhm,
You really can't compare Breakshot to the other Capcom games as it has a completely different boardset. Breakshot is the only one with that boardset, all the others have the standard "high level" boardset.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to continue to worry about this issue; I spoke with Kim Friday afternoon after her posting, and she's all set.

Tony
BBB #39
pbgarage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the first BBBs are protos, and therefore that's not
a reliable option. Each one has differences between them.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===============================

[quote="bbb96"]I agree with Jon - use Gene's machine for reference.

I just checked my Breakshot schematics along with the actually machine and the diodes ARE installed on the switches and there is not a diode board in the backbox for the switches.

SUMMARY: Use Gene's machine as your reference.

- Jeff

[quote="christian1"]Wouldn't it be just as easy to open up Gene's BBB and physically look at the switches?

Jon
CARGPB#8
+++++++++++
unigroove

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I can recall I did not see any switch or lamp socket on Gene's machine that without a diode...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: