Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glitter Paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runner1717

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Glitter Paper Reply with quote

Who had the source for glitter paper. Was that you Robert?

Gotta start thinking about pimping out the 'ol BBB you know......
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the glitter paper discussion may have occured in one of the old Bearcave forums. Here is the link to one here:
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251
runner1717

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for a source for glitter paper. Anyone else going to do the glitter paper treatment?

I thought on the old forum Robert said he had a source for the paper. I thought I had an old email from him, but I can't find it.

Robert??
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ordering the glitter paper this week. I've got a list of names of people who wanted some, you included Mike.

If anyone else is interested, please email me immediately as I'm only ordering a limited supply. Cost would be about $35 per machine, plus shipping.
BBB #74
metallik

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Where are you getting the glitter paper? I ask because sign vinyl manufacturers make 'glitter' vinyl that apparently is a lot cheaper than whatever you're getting. Example:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/VSH2410-p-VS-2410-CRYSTAL.html

30 feet x 24" for 40 bucks... should be enough for a dozen machines minimum. I've seen various patterns if that particular one isn't an exact match of the original BBB. Or, maybe people would like other patterns.. the stars one is neat (use the links at the top of the page to check other patterns). This isn't paper either, it's vinyl - more durable, and should stick to the cabinet sides well.

My sister works for a local sign company, so I might be able to get some actual samples if that happen to have some in stock. I got some from her a while ago (slightly different pattern) to use on my Safecracker.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:
I've seen various patterns if that particular one isn't an exact match of the original BBB.

Larry, keep in mind that the glitter paper was not part of the original design; one game was pimped out with the orange rings and glitter paper for a Capcom executive (?). If you find something close - or even something that looks better - that should be suitable for those who wish to tart out their machine.

Tony
BBB #39
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:
Robert,

Where are you getting the glitter paper?

I'm getting it from a local supplier, who has the same price as just about everywhere else I checked. It's the Avery Confetti pattern, which was the same as what was on the original "pimped out" BBB. I've seen other holographic patterns, including the Crystals, Cat's Eye, Squiggle, Kaleidoscope as well as some others and Confetti is definitely the one. You can also use silver glitter paper, but it doesn't refract different colors like the holograhic paper does.

I actually overestimated the amount of paper needed per machine. I emailed Jonathan (Unigroove) and he told me a four foot length should be sufficient, at 7-1/2" width per side. The Confetti comes in 15" width so this works out perfectly. I was assuming 15" width per side and 5-6 feet in length, so I probably overshot the estimate by about 50%. If that's the case, it would be a lot less than what I was expecting.

Good thing I checked, because I probably would have WAY overordered.
BBB #74
metallik

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that's cool. I wonder how well that paper will stick to the wood.. some sticker papers has pretty damn good adhesive, others don't. I may stick with the vinyl, as one roll is enough to do the machine a few times over if you tear it up with the playfield. I'll have to check some samples and see how similar it is to the Avery stuff. This assuming I install it in the first place.. might want to check a game with it in there already first :) Of course, as mods go, this one is simple to undo: just peel it off.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:
Ahh, that's cool. I wonder how well that paper will stick to the wood.. some sticker papers has pretty damn good adhesive, others don't. I may stick with the vinyl, as one roll is enough to do the machine a few times over if you tear it up with the playfield. I'll have to check some samples and see how similar it is to the Avery stuff. This assuming I install it in the first place.. might want to check a game with it in there already first Smile Of course, as mods go, this one is simple to undo: just peel it off.

The Avery Confetti is an adhesive backed vinyl film, not paper. I was using the term "paper" generically.
BBB #74
unigroove

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to cover my *ss in case my calculations (converting centimeres to inches) went wrong: length of the glitter paper is about the same as the inside of the cabinet, which is about 2 inch longer than the length of a playfieldglass.

Is anyone also doing the inside of the backbox with glitter paper?

Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: