Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaker noise (clicking)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Speaker noise (clicking) Reply with quote

I get contstant quick clicking sound from my speakers during the game. It is noticable enough to be annoying/distracting during play. There is just a low humm during attract mode (and I have audio set to OFF during attract mode if that matters). Anyone else getting this? Is this common in other Capcoms?
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it coming from the speaker grill?

mine is loose so it vibrates? gonna try some transfer adhesive on it tonight. I do get some noise through the speakers but doesnt sound like clicking. Just kind of a cycling hum,....but think the speaker panel rattling is what causes the vibration noise.

-c
sellenoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker noise (clicking) Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:
I get contstant quick clicking sound from my speakers during the game. It is noticable enough to be annoying/distracting during play. There is just a low humm during attract mode (and I have audio set to OFF during attract mode if that matters). Anyone else getting this? Is this common in other Capcoms?

I was going to report having the same issue, so I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and if anyone has suggestions for a fix.
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the clicking is loud enough that you hear it during play? That's not the way it should be. Is it related to whether the EL arrows are on or off?

I ask this because on the original games when the EL arrows cycle during attract mode, you can hear a low volume high pitched whine whenever all of the arrows cycle off. Also, there is a low volume fluttering sound that occasionally can be heard during attract mode. Both of these sounds aren't loud enough to be a distraction during game play.

Can I suggest that you check to make sure there's a good ground connection on the audio board and the EL lamp board. Since the EL board was re-worked, there may be something else going on here. Does the clicking sound appear when you disconnect the EL board?

steve
Bertl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinsane wrote:

I ask this because on the original games when the EL arrows cycle during attract mode, you can hear a low volume high pitched whine whenever all of the arrows cycle off. Also, there is a low volume fluttering sound that occasionally can be heard during attract mode. Both of these sounds aren't loud enough to be a distraction during game play.

My guest also has this and i love to listen the "whisteling" of the BBB, like it has his own soul.

Brgds
Norbert
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is loud enough to be heard during play, especially at lower volumes. I'm not yet sure if it is propotional to the volume or not which might tell us if it is being induced pre or post amplifier. It seemed less pronounced today than it was last night.

It is unrelated to the EL arrows or the flashers. The noise persists with the EL lamp board un-powered. The EL arrows do cause a very slight almost musical "doo dee doo" noise. The flashers cause a slight sqweak when they fire.

I would think that the grounds are fine as the board appears well mounted. All connectors are solid too.

The sound is definately not a rattle although there are some of those too.

The sound is a rapid ticking, perhaps 6-8 times per second. It is not present prior to a game and goes away once the post game sound ends.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:

I would think that the grounds are fine as the board appears well mounted. All connectors are solid too.

Given the above, I would completely pull and reseat all the game and sound ROMs.
pindoc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game also has the rapid clicking during the game. I have not been able to isolate where it is coming from other than the lower right back box. It is not a vibration ( my game also has one of those that I yet to isolate), but a rapid clicking. Did reseating the ROMS help?
Bruce
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clicking is definately speaker induced, not vibration. It is audible from both the left and right speaker, but perhaps more so from the right speaker, either due to the frequency or someother factor. The bass speaker in the cabinet does not seem to click.

I just got done pulling the sound board and checking things over - here is what I did:
1) moved the ferreting closer to the connectors on all wires that had ferreting (anyone have a good working knowledge of ferreting theory? Did I do the right thing conceptually here?),
2) made sure the wires were well seated in the connectors,
3) pulled the ROMs, cleaned the legs, blew out the sockets,
4) untangled the audio wires a bit to minimize contact with other wires,
5) re-inserted the ROMs firmly, re-attached board, re-connected connectors.

End result - no change.

As far as vibration - I think the bass speaker is "too" good and/or powereful, because it definately causes a lot of vibration in the playfield parts and cabinet, especially the rails and glass channel on my machine.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:
My clicking is definitely speaker induced, not vibration. It is audible from both the left and right speaker, but perhaps more so from the right speaker, either due to the frequency or some other factor. The bass speaker in the cabinet does not seem to click.

As far as vibration - I think the bass speaker is "too" good and/or powerful, because it definitely causes a lot of vibration in the playfield parts and cabinet, especially the rails and glass channel on my machine.

I am very interested in how you solve this problem. Using high-end audio toys, you can string expensive components together and end up with a loud, K-mart sounding hum. You then float a ground on one item only in the chain and it disappears 95% of the time.
For whatever that's worth, you could adapt that strategy here. Or, pull wires off each toy and electrical motors one at a time.
The output transistors could be dying. Can you swap parts with someone local?

Bass is not too good. I will be working Saturday on eliminating every buzz and vibe on the glass, which is the biggest rattler I've found. Think it's loose siderails.

And your woofer is probably rolling off in frequencies before you can hear it click (so, it's a 3rd or 4th harmonic--each harmonic quieter than previous), but I'll bet it is. And if not--if you'll swear in court it isn't, then that too, tells you something about the chain. Careful what you swear in court--look what it did for Paris Hilton today.

Seriously--good luck, Rob
BBB94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm kinda assuming that the fact that it may be mostly in the right speaker, somewhat left, unnoticable in the bass, was attributed to the circuits that divided the audio spectrum for each speaker (are those crossover filters?). I was not trying to imply that I thought the speakers were at fault. One thing that I may try is recording the sound so I can get a precise determination of its cadence. That may help narrow down the sources. It may be a while before I can impliment more of your diagnostic suggestions - thanks. I will definately let everyone know what I try and if I ever solve it.

Last edited by BBB94 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
litz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check to be sure that a ferrite choke is not missing on wires in the back box. Ferrite chokes won't help with hum but may help with clicks that have a fast rise time and are composed of higher frequency components.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rattle I heard was in fact loose side rails. The middle hex on each side needs to be tweaked and the bass rattle went away. So, bass away.

(I love how active this board's been in the last week!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: