Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family Mode
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Family Mode Reply with quote

I was playing around with different modes and tried the Family mode. It eliminates the "Ohh""ahh" "harder" sexy voice but I don't know what other sounds are eliminated. I think I will switch back and forth between modes every couple of weeks for some variety. Does anybody know what other sounds Family mode eliminates?

What I'd really like to do is limit the number of times the game says "upstairs."
Former BBB #115 owner.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
I was playing around with different modes and tried the Family mode. It eliminates the "Ohh""ahh" "harder" sexy voice but I don't know what other sounds are eliminated. I think I will switch back and forth between modes every couple of weeks for some variety. Does anybody know what other sounds Family mode eliminates?

What I'd really like to do is limit the number of times the game says "upstairs."

1) That's about all it eliminates
2) There's no way to reduce the # of times the annoying 'upstairs' quote occurs, and what really annoys me is that it cuts off for less frequentyly heard clips like for combos.

Only way to fix #2 is to fix it in the source code. I've volunteered many times, but never gotten a response.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:
Only way to fix #2 is to fix it in the source code. I've volunteered many times, but never gotten a response.

Have you contacted Gene about this? Or any of the ex-Capcom programmers who might have a (cough) copy of the source code?
BBB #74
sellenoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:
sellenoff wrote:

Have you contacted Gene about this? Or any of the ex-Capcom programmers who might have a (cough) copy of the source code?

I've posted emails to TOG, and spoken to Kim about it. I've never gotten Gene on the phone in person. I've never gotten any responses, although Kim said it was an interesting idea.

I've never thought to ask an ex-capcom employee, but I'd be surprised if they'd just give me their source code.
unigroove

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, perhaps now that most games are finished and delivered, Gene has some time to think this over. Earlier he probably had plenty to worry about.

I would be happy is de game roms would be updated and I'd also like to suggest some changes or report bugs I noticed on my game.

Jonathan
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice of the waitress doesn't bother me at all, except for that "upstairs" quote. I know that I have to shoot the ramp, because of the shiny bright blue arrows ( Shocked ) and you have to shoot the ramp all the time anyway, so I don't need those reminders. That's the only quote I find slightly irritating.

Another thing (but this is probably more difficult to do), would be that the software picks the most important reward if you send the ball up the ramp. When multiball is ready to be started, but the tube dancer starts, you get the 10 mil tube dancer reward, while you actually wanted to start multiball. On the other hand: if you can get the ball up the ramp easily, you can just grab the TD award and then start multiball. The rules are the same for anyone, so it's not a big deal.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:
robertwinter wrote:
sellenoff wrote:

I've posted emails to TOG, and spoken to Kim about it. I've never gotten Gene on the phone in person. I've never gotten any responses, although Kim said it was an interesting idea.

I've never thought to ask an ex-capcom employee, but I'd be surprised if they'd just give me their source code.

Wouldn't you have to recompile it afterwards?
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

just plain rob wrote:
sellenoff wrote:
robertwinter wrote:
sellenoff wrote:

Yes. When I speak about getting the source code, I also (imply) the entire dev. tools to create new rom images.
zaphod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: source Reply with quote

If we got a copy of the source, It shouldn't be too hard to compile and map the compiled code to the ROMs.
Former BBB #115 owner.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: source Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
If we got a copy of the source, It shouldn't be too hard to compile and map the compiled code to the ROMs.

Aren't there certain people in this group that have connections to ex-Capcom people? This could all be done privately if necessary...

Might all be a pipe dream, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
BBB #74
just plain rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Family Mode Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:

Yes. When I speak about getting the source code, I also (imply) the entire dev. tools to create new rom images.[/quote]

Having at best a layman's knowledge of programming, I didn't know it was that simple. That's great news.
Get that multiball bug fix done, too.

Maybe drop Pfutz an email.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay a "reasonable" fee (maybe $10-25) for a new software revision that included some bug fixes / enhancements. If such a thing were possible I'd suggest some reasoned and controlled means of including fixes / enhancements rather than throwing bits willy-nilly.

Tony
BBB #39
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be worth $100 pretty easily to me to have updated code with bug fixes.

-c
sellenoff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:
It'd be worth $100 pretty easily to me to have updated code with bug fixes.

-c

I'd be willing to donate my time free to work on this project, so I just need the assistance from Gene to do it.

I think everyone can help out though by identifying reproducable bugs and identifying areas that could use improvement. Perhaps someone should start a new thread outlining the issues to be investigated.

I don't think it's realistic to expect new sounds or dot animation, but rules, modes, and other stuff should be doable (to the extent that the rom image is not maxed out).

-Steve
BBB94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have dreamed of an final update - I've thought $50 or so per owner might get someone to do this for us. I too might be willing to go $100. Hopefully nearly all owners would be fair and chip in - no freeloaders.

The first step is to identify as many bugs and quirks as possible, and dream up enhancements. That way if a limited window of opportunity presents itself it could possibly be acted upon.

Last edited by BBB94 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: