Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game tweks, rIght to left orbit issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metallik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Game tweks, rIght to left orbit issue Reply with quote

Something odd with the game design.. on the left orbit, the bottom 2" of wall is missing, with what appears to be a rubber pad there in its place, recessed slightly. I'm guessing this is factory design, so late shots coming from the UR flipper don't pound the wall there, but the problem is right orbit shots coming around the left side catch the post below this section (next to the drop targets) and fly off to the right instead of continuing to the left flipper.

Is this by design, or am I missing a part, or do I need to tweak the wall slightly (not sure if it can be tweaked enough to get the ball by that post though).

I'd also suggest cleaning the playfield with Novus2 and possibly waxing it to remove any residual tackiness from the clearcoat (to reduce airballs) .. then dial the flipper strength down to 10 or so so it plays normally :) I still need to adjust the looped in space bar rail a bit, the ball from the right alien needs a little bump to get it to roll down...

Otherwise, plays like a dream! Awesome game..
pinsane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry,

Congrats on getting your game! The black rubber pad is present on the original Capcom prototypes.

You may need to adjust this, as a ball coming from the right orbit should not be deflected by the post below this guide.

steve
metallik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics! Mine's recessed slightly, with the bottom side to the left of the post. I'll fiddle and see what it takes to bring it out some.
metallik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, looked at this more and I don't think a tweak is going to be enough... Either the rubber that they used is the wrong size, or the wall isn't screwed into the playfield in the right spot. I don't think it is that, however, since the wall drops back a bit furthur than the width of the rubber (at the point furthest from the player) so even there the rubber isn't wide enough.

I talked to another person with a BBB and theirs was the same way. Do other people have this rubber recessed back from the post and do your orbit shots fly off to the right as a result?
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:
Okay, looked at this more and I don't think a tweak is going to be enough... Either the rubber that they used is the wrong size, or the wall isn't screwed into the playfield in the right spot. I don't think it is that, however, since the wall drops back a bit furthur than the width of the rubber (at the point furthest from the player) so even there the rubber isn't wide enough.

I talked to another person with a BBB and theirs was the same way. Do other people have this rubber recessed back from the post and do your orbit shots fly off to the right as a result?

Just got back from setting up Al's machine (mine will hopefully arrive this week), and his had the same issue. Looking at the picture pinsane posted, I noticed that Al's post is sticking out which could be causing the deflection, but I can't see any simple way to fix that.
metallik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, there does appear to be a simple way :)

Pull the rubber off the wall.. it's just stuck there and should come up without too much difficulty. Get some thin foam double-stick tape (I think the stuff I used was 1/16" wide) and build it up on the back of that black rubber. I stairstepped them by running a piece across the whole back, then another to about 2/3 of the way to the far end, then another up to 1/3 of the way, then another piece across these to 'smooth' it out. There needs to be more towards the post end of the rubber to make up the difference in spacing. Stick it to the wall and see how it lines up I got lucky - the first time I applied mine it was in the perfect spot to continue the wall down and send the ball *just* past the post. You may have to experiment a bit if it's off first time. So far the orbits are all hitting the left flipper now. We'll see how it holds up... have to see if repeated hits smush the tape at all or if it comes unstuck, but the tape was stickier than what was on the rubber to begin with...
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game too had the recessed rail. I wanted to Novus 1 the green tube ramp inside and out, so I took it out. (Note: You might want to tie a string to the connector before pulling the tube ramp out (when and if you do - like for ring installation). Since I was part way there, I removed the left plastic that covered the rail. I unscrewed that side of the rail (two top screws, and one bottom-side nut. I noticed that the rail lined up with the art work and the edge of the rubber post better if it was moved out a bit, so I filled the hole closest to the post with a wood plug and glue and drilled a new hole. The ball zips around great. The old hole is concealed by the rail tab and is underneath the plastic, so the change is not the least bit noticable.

I also replaced the rubber pads with same dimension weather stripping as the clear plastic did not look like it was meant to stay and I did not like the idea of having a tacky (sticky) exposed surface. The weather stripping foam is not as dense, but I have not noticed any ill effects yet. Unfortunately I only noticed the Left orbit and the Dartz rubber pad while I was tweaking. I missed the one on the Ball Buster side of the Star Bumpers - something for later.
rhayes1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my game a right to left orbit is not deflected by the post. The metal rail about 3" above the post provides enough direction to the ball to miss the post. A shot from the upper right flipper that hits the black pad (or a left obit shot without enough force to make the turn at the top) is supposed to roll back down, hit the post and be deflected. At least that is how the original games I played were adjusted.

I distinctly remember that from a converastation my wife and I had with Steve Kordek one satuday night after an EXPO banquet. The three of us played Big Bang Bar at the Capcom exhibit from about 1:00 to 2:00 a.m. and discussed many of the unique aspects of the game. One of those was the interesting design tweak at the end of the right to left orbit. (He also explained why Wms. couldn't make a game like Big Bang Bar.)

Rob Hayes
BBB #18
sellenoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellenoff wrote:
metallik wrote:

Just got back from setting up Al's machine (mine will hopefully arrive this week), and his had the same issue. Looking at the picture pinsane posted, I noticed that Al's post is sticking out which could be causing the deflection, but I can't see any simple way to fix that.

Follow up to my own post - looks like Metallik has it right, the rubber is a bit recessed, rather than the post being in the wrong place. My own game has the same problems. I'll attempt to do the mod you discussed also as I'm not brave(crazy?) enough to drill a new hole in my pf.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhayes1 wrote:
(He also explained why Wms. couldn't make a game like Big Bang Bar.)

Rob Hayes
BBB #18

I'm interested in what SK had to say about this, if you have a moment...
CraigC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i adjusted the ball guide like in Steve's picture by bringing out the outer wall to be even with the post and parallel with the playfield art.

Used foam tape to bring out the thickness of the foam evenly.

Any reason why the post should deflect the ball? Seems that it would disrupt flow and draw the ball toward the "money maker" right outlane.

-c
runner1717

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhayes1 wrote:
On my game a right to left orbit is not deflected by the post. The metal rail about 3" above the post provides enough direction to the ball to miss the post. A shot from the upper right flipper that hits the black pad (or a left obit shot without enough force to make the turn at the top) is supposed to roll back down, hit the post and be deflected. At least that is how the original games I played were adjusted.

Correct as stated above.

Just an FYI for folks contemplating this change.............

On a strong shot around the orbit, right to left, the ball should miss the post and hit the left flipper due to the curvature of the metal rail. If it's not, loosen the bottom of the METAL rail and push out while tightning it back up.

On a weak right to left shot (or one from the third flipper that hits the foam), the ball is SUPPOSED to hit the post and be deflected to the right flipper! This was designed to give more ramp shots, as we all know how important the ramp shot is to the game.

If you add more padding to the black foam to make EVERY shot hit the left flipper, you're making the game flow incorrectly.
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the relationship of the post to the black foam on Steve's pictures and on Lloyd's BBB, I do not see how any shot will be deflected by the post.

Am I seeing this wrong. Steve, does yours deflect on a shot from the right upper flipper as described in the prior post?

Ross
pinsane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwsimpson wrote:
Am I seeing this wrong. Steve, does yours deflect on a shot from the right upper flipper as described in the prior post?

Ross

I've played 5 different original Capcom BBB's, and I can't recall seeing a shot from the right upper flipper hitting the black pad and then being deflected by the post to the right flipper. I'd be interested to know the source of runner1717's information that the game is supposed to flow to the right flipper as that has not been my experience.

It doesn't make sense to me that a strong counterclockwise orbit shot goes to the left flipper, and yet a shot from the upper right flipper to the cushion is supposed to dribble down and somehow hit the post to go to the right flipper. If this were the case, there would be a range of speeds where the ball will drain down the middle for slow counter-clockwise orbits. I have a hard time believing that this would be the intention of the designer.

steve SDTM
CraigC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree with pinsane.

plays great after the change and you can trap and backhand the ramp from the left flipper (kinda tough but makable)

-c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: