Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview DVDs - Make or Not Make?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Interview DVDs - Make or Not Make? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I want to ask your opinion on this, but I don't want to use a poll. I've always considered this forum a sort of "Safe Haven" from the rest of the pinball community. You may know that over the past 3 years, all of the money for Pins and Vids discs went to the Pinball Hall of Fame. The next one in the series will continue in that tradition. You may remeber that I was planning on doing "Mostly Uncut" interview videos of the interviews I did with Gene. I was planning on offering them as a set.

I bought the new video camera I used in the Texas Interview and at BBB Pick-up on a buy now, pay later. I'm thinking that if I release the interviews that I would like to use the profits to help pay for the camera. I doubt that it will make a huge dent in the cost of the camera, but to me it would be a way of having my hobby support itself.

So what is your opinion? E-mail me at al@alsarcade.com . I'm very concerned about my reputation in the hobby and I don't want to loose any respect from any of you. The videos would only be available to BBB owners. Much of the information has been invalidated by changes of events, but they do help complete the story. Some things will HAVE to be cut because of legal ramifications (not a lot though).

Also, the process will take in excess of 24 work hours to complete. I'm sure of that. Release would be in 2-3 weeks if I decide to do it.

Thanks,

-Al Warner-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Interview DVDs - Make or Not Make? Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
I'm thinking that if I release the interviews that I would like to use the profits to help pay for the camera. I doubt that it will make a huge dent in the cost of the camera, but to me it would be a way of having my hobby support itself.

I have absolutely NO problem with you keeping the profits for yourself. It is very noble of you to donate the proceeds from the past DVDs to the PHoF, but I doubt that anyone would think less of you should you decide to keep some of the profits.

As long as people know up-front where the money is going, it shouldn't be an issue.
BBB #74
just plain rob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, I agree with Robert: I couldn't think any less of you than I do now... Very Happy

Seriously, go for it--you deserve to lighten the load for all of your output. You can always get back to donating (and you will).
And BTW, charge $10 bucks for the videos--you're not going to break anyone...

Give me a shout on the horn when you time,
Rob
latecomer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you've done to date Al, sounds more than fair that a little goes towards the equipment used for the stuff generally donated.

Regards,
Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
kirklake13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: DVD Reply with quote

Hey Al,

Much of the value you provide to our hobby goes well beyond the financial aspect of the donations to the PHOF. The permanent record and history that you memorialize is priceles Smile

I'm sure you would plan on this anyway but, keep Tim in the loop, clearly disclose the fact of where the profit will be going and why, then go for it.

Looking forward to the next one.

BTW, great meeting you at EXPO.

captkirk
BBB#78
BBB #102
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all that have replied before me. Originally the proceeds were going to go to another cause, but I believe that has worked itself out through other channels. Things change and evolve. And as they say, charity starts at home - meaning sometimes you have to help yourself in order to gain or retain the ability to help others.
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

I agree with all the above... go for it and pay for the camera... or possibly a well earned vacation? Wink

harrrrrrr #7
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the easiest of the videos, the interview with Gene in 2005 this weekend. There was only 15-20 seconds removed from nearly an hour. I think I'm going to do a little opening video of me telling about the conditions of the video like what was happening at the time and where things occurred and also to explain some of what I shot and why.

I think that 3 DVDs will get it done. It will probably end up being around 5 hours long. I'm planning on:

Disc 1 - Gene Allentown May 2002 2 Camera Uncut / Gene Expo Oct. 2004 2 Camera Uncut

Disc 2 - Gene interview and assembly facility Nov 2005 mostly uncut / Gene - TOG interview Nov 2006 mostly uncut

Disc 3 - Gene Texas Pin Festival 2007 - Uncut / BBB Packing - Pickup Day Selected previously unused scenes.

That should be the bulk of it and of course it's subject to change.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: