Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it over?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Is it over? Reply with quote

We all knew this thing would have a curve to it, but I think that BBB is finally finished. What I mean is that we anticipated it's arrival, we dreamed of the day, it finally arrived, we all were pretty pleased with the results, there were a few technical things to work out, and then things calmed down. This forum is pretty quiet now. I know that a few people will be experiencing the game anew over the years and this forum will be a great place to get them caught up to what the experience was and is, but I think it's done, at least for me. I have been pretty close to this thing since it was started, at least I tried to be. There was times when I really wanted to tell everyone what I knew but there were people who were trying to ruin the project and I had to be quiet. Also, things change with time. Gene's best intentions didn't help things when suppliers weren't supplying and such. I still plan to keep an eye on the forum, but I guess it's over for me. I still plan to do the lightly edited DVDs for us to enjoy, but it looks to me that this piece of Pinball history is complete.
It's been a heck of a ride and I've met some amazing people because of it. And please feel free to e-mail me at any time at al@pinsandvids.com if you need anything.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Did I miss the fat lady?

Really, this is a great resource which I hope will remain travelled, even if lightly, for a long long time. I will be checking in regularly until no longer on solid food... provided Robert keeps this up and running.

Al, you have been a great resource and your video remains amazing.

Happy trails...

John
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me sad Al! Sad

Only kidding, well sort of. I got on board a little later than most, but well in time to experience a lot of the ride being the first (and only??) official PMI approved owner swap. I got on board at a time when things were somewhat difficult for me personally. Talking to a friend at the time I was thinking of buying in, he mentioned that the "ride" would be a good thing to be in, perhaps as much as the actual machine (if it ever came).

Well he was right, the ride was just what I needed, something to hope for outside of other things more mundane, and I got to meet a lot of new friends, some on line and some in person, because of the project.

Checking the forum every day with the faint hope of seeing an orange thread flagged with some new information was a real joy at times, even if the information was necessarily kept a little light due to the background issues. A couple of times Al was kind enough to explain the problems privately, and I really appreciated it.

I was tied up in a bunch of business things when the games were ready, and while I received mine within a week of their departure from PMI, I was so stressed and busy that the night we set it up I truly only played one full game, and it took a couple of weeks to really have some time for BBB.

Well I'm glad that I got on board, it was a great ride and I now have a really unique machine downunder.

Thanks all for your help and responses here over the years, and I do hope the forum remains (thanks Robert) as it does represent a piece of true pinball history.

Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
Marthin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great forum, even for a new member like me. I did get the last BBB of the "normal" once (not gold/brass). Its a great game and this site is a great source.

If i get any problems with my game, i know where to look.

Not its time for Kingpin!Smile
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post.

I do not feel like the game is complete. I have no spare parts, v1.9 is buggy, and issues for many are starting to crop up. (This is not meant to be negative against the game, I love it, but it is also not done either.)

We really need spare parts, such as the custom stuff: rails, those arrows, green target switches, maybe even boards. Without parts, you're stuck with a custom game with custom hard to find parts (think RFM).

I'd like to see the code polished too.

But, I still tip my hat to the crew for keeping their word, delivering, staying to the agreed upon price, etc. Nicely done.

But chapter "the end" is not here yet.

My humble .02

Jack #58
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jack regarding the parts situation. I did actually get the spares I ordered with the game - drop target stickers, tube dancer - but any other Capcom parts seem to be nearly impossible to find. I needed a pair of flipper cranks for a Pinball Magic, and finally resorted to ordering them from a supplier in Austria.

I'm still plugging away at disassembling the game software. Anything other than simple tweaks - like the lamp 48B issue - is going to be a challenge. I did manage to stumble across some copyright info for the tool set (compiler, linker) used by Capcom, and I actually know someone who works at the company that bought the assets of the original company. I'd love to get my hands on the original compiler; since the source is probably in "C", knowing what the compiler typically emitted for certain code sequences will be helpful.

I've made a number of inquiries to folks associated with PMI regarding source code but nothing has surfaced. The code HAS to be out there SOMEWHERE, but so far no one really seems to be interested in digging it up or forking it over.

Tony
BBB #39
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: