Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unanswered Questions for 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Unanswered Questions for 2008 Reply with quote

Hello everyone and happy new year. Hope 2008 goes well for all. Without trying to be an antagonist, I have a few questions. If the answers are buried deep in prior threads, I apologize for re-asking....

- Status of spare parts? I think many of us would like a spare of the unique to BBB parts, such as the arrows, green targets, circuit boards, etc.

- Status of the speaker cut-outs? Whatever happened to them, I thought we were suppose to get a pair?

- Status of finding the source code for the firmware? Sure would be cool to eliminate some of the bugs.

- Is their a final manual, without missing pages and not a "crude scan" in PDF form somewhere?

That's about it!

Thanks

Jack #58
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Search the site for the "Scanning the manual" thread. A fairly high quality pdf of the manual (w/missing pages) and schematics is linked in that thread.

Here are the links:
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/shared/Big_Bang_Bar_Manual.pdf

http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/shared/Big_Bang_Bar_Schematics.pdf

Hope this helps.

John
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack - Here are some observations regarding the game software.

1) I spoke with Gene and he doesn't believe he has the source code. I've tried to contact TOG but he hasn't responded to my e-mails. I was going to ask Gene about my approaching Capcom to inquire if they had archival copies, but his surgery happened right about that time, so nothing happened on that front. I resolve for 2008 to make further inquiries.

2) I've exchanged e-mail with a few ex-Capcom engineers (Pfutz, Steve King), but none of them have the source code. Steve was very cordial and shared quite a few details of how the code was structured.

3) I started to disassemble the binary code to try to understand enough about the game structure to actually make binary patches - which is a REAL nightmare way to make any significant changes. I did sort out enough details about the lamp control table to determine what has to be patched to teach the game that lamp #48B (the credit lamp on the apron) really does exist.

4) In the course of #3 I found a copyright statement for the original compiler / toolset vendor (Software Development Systems). That company was sold to Wind River systems several years back. I have obtained some documentation on the toolset which might help with #3 OR it might help if I ever get game source code from some where.

It's hard to remain enthusiastic when it doesn't seem that PMI cares about maintaining or upgrading the BBB software. They might care should Kingpin ever become a reality, but that's only a guess on my part.
BBB #39
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't a ring-binded manual attached with the machines? (Like other Capcom machines had.)

The manual, that came with the machine i have with me is the same like the *.pdf files (the black spots of bad copying are at the same places)

(The manual i have is missing page 106/107, but this page is in the files)

And it has the fold-out wiring diagrams.

Brgds
Norbert
rjb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/shared/Big_Bang_Bar_Schematics.pdf are not really the schematics, they are the wiring diagrams. I would really like to get a copy of the schematics for each board. Without the schematics, if a card should ever fail, it will be tough to repair.

Are they available? They aren't unique to the BBB and should be the same as used in other Capcoms (except for Breakshot).
BBB#11
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PM manual I have certainly has schematics for the boards. They seem identical to the BBB boards at a glance. There might be the odd cap rating change or the like, but I believe fundamentally the boards are all the same between these games (except for Breakshot).

The manual is on IPDB, but ugly-big at 17MB and with their slow speed limit, will take a little patience!
Vegemite Nick #123
marspinball

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unanswered Questions for 2008 Reply with quote

RatherPlayPinball wrote:

- Status of the speaker cut-outs? Whatever happened to them, I thought we were suppose to get a pair?

Jack #58

What ever happened to the speaker cutouts. I have a picture of them that was posted years ago. Never heard if they were made available.
BBB #131
kirklake13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine (2) and a key fob from Kim at IPB.

captkirk
BBB #78
BBB #102
marspinball

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirklake13 wrote:
I got mine (2) and a key fob from Kim at IPB.

captkirk
BBB #78

What did you need to do to get them??
BBB #131
eandries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i send mail to bye some and still no respons. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

BBB#69
kirklake13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special. IPB order form and follow up.

captkirk
BBB#78
BBB #102
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TOG has returned to his real life. I'm not sure if or how often he can check PMI email, unless you have another addr for him. I will try to get word to him - to check the forum.

I think Gene would know more about what BBB IP is available, than TOG. One possibilty would be to call Gene and ask if he has computers, disks, tapes, etc. from Capcom and if you could go there and look at what is there.

I believe that Gene has a lot of data that is in severe danger of disappearing due to hardware obsolescence, cd rot, magnetic degradation, etc.
Bertl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:

I believe that Gene has a lot of data that is in severe danger of disappearing due to hardware obsolescence, cd rot, magnetic degradation, etc.

I fully agree with you. The files are more than 10 years old and I hope Gene has a good soul on hand who is taking care of them.
tcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year to my fellow Big Bang Barians....... Very Happy

I saw this ebay item today

http://tinyurl.com/79puyw

and it made me wonder once more about the spare parts and the speaker cut outs. It looks like some of them made it out of the warehouse.?

I am still hopeful that the parts will come someday. Just like my BBB did eventually.

Harold BBB#132
BBB94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that has not received parts that they paid for should call Gene and inquire. Maybe there was a mix-up.

It was my understanding that the new parts that people were hoping for were going to be combined with KP parts orders. Now that KP is on hold, at least until the economy improves, I don't think new parts are imeadiately forthcoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: