Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software version (beta) 1.9-P1 is now available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Software version (beta) 1.9-P1 is now available Reply with quote

(I am re-posting this as a separate topic now that I have received Gene Cunningham's permission to distribute this patched software.)

I have created a patched BBB ROM that fixes the software's confusion over lamp 48B (the credit lamp on the apron) in the standard beta 1.9 ROM. This patch eliminates the spurious "1 info" report for lamp 48B when entering the troubleshooting menu. All that is changed is the lamp assignment table (lamp 48B now shows up as an assigned feature lamp named "CREDIT" in the diagnostics) and the version number string (it reports beta 1.9.P1).

The patched software may be downloaded from http://www.dziedzic.us/BBB/bbb109-p1.zip. You will need two 4 megabit EPROMs for the software.

Tony

P.S. For those interested, no, I don't have the game software source code. I spent some time with a disassembler to understand the operation of the diagnostics, and how the ROM checksum algorithm works. I wrote a couple of small utilities that allow me to combine the hii/lo split ROM images into a single binary file, and was able to feed that into a disassembler. Thank you to the behind-the-scenes helpers (you know who you are).
BBB #39
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this.

I would love to learn stuff like this someday, but I don't think that's likely - especially if you needed helpers...
Bertl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, well done Exclamation
Brgds
Bertl
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've sent an e-mail to John Wart, Jr. with a link to the patched code. If anyone needs a set of ROMs burned John's the guy.

FYI,
Tony
BBB #39
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: