Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Led in BBB , possible ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Led in BBB , possible ? Reply with quote

Hello !

i'm interested to install few led inside BBB . anyone has already checked if possible or not. capcom game is different for the lighting.
latecomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd loose some of the dimming effects you get with bulbs, and I suspect they might not go off properly as I think there is a small current always running so might stay on.
Vegemite Nick #123
Bertl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search in rgp for "capcom" and "led". There are some threads about this theme.

Brgds
Norbert
vincz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i already checked but i think it is not possible
BBB94

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to any other issues, I seem to recall that LEDs would mess up the burnt bulb detection feature - perhaps due to the low power draw. If that is that case, then I suppose if someone really wanted to, they could make custom LEDs that would have the same power draw as a 44/47/555 (or at least enough to reliably meet the burnt bulb detection threshold), if color, output, durability were the main goals and not the power consumption.
vincz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know one guy who makes his own led
and he was already test leds on pinball magic

here, his reply:

the Problem is not the Power-Watching!
Is it right that you can "dim" the intensity of the Inserts via Test-Menü?

If think that this is the Problem.

My Optiflux2 worked fine in a Pinball Magic. There was a little bit flickering but i did not think about reducing more the Power-Intensitiy for the Bulbs over the Menü.
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% on this info, but here is my understanding...

The Capcom lights are DC. LEDs for AC light circuits incorporate rectifiers to reduce the noticability of the 60 Hz flicker and sometimes a capacitor too to technically eliminate the flicker. DC LEDs do not normally have or need any fancy circuitry (rec. or cap.). The flicker in the Capcom is caused by the matrix light control circuit which is constantly turning the lights on and off at a high rate of speed. I believe that if one was to use a DC LED light with a capacitor it *should* eliminate the flicker. I suppose an AC LED with a capacitor would work too as it would just have a rectifier that was not really doing anything.

Perhaps there are more issues at play. I did not read the RGP threads or anything yet, and am certainly not the brightest light in this harbor... :-) It'd be cool to figure it out so folks that want the option have it.
BBB94

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, read this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/3ce23347effd9a15/fe7369b6ff97a7e9?lnk=gst&q=capcom+led#fe7369b6ff97a7e9

If an always on state occurs due to a low constant current sufficient to light the LED, would not a resistor and capacitor then possibly remedy the always on an flicker issues?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: