Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Guess for a Delivery Date

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcmartz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: My Guess for a Delivery Date Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the reported progress here. With 2 months remaining in 2005, we've seen progress on cabinets, backboxes, playfields, parts acquisition, some wiring harness fabrication, and various misc. hardware.

Given the progress on Kim's proto machine, and the still-remaining PF assembly to be completed, I think there's one major hurdle left: the reliability and accuracy of the wiring harnesses. IMHO, this issue has been underdiscussed and is non-trivial.

With this (harnesses) and PF assembly remaining, I'd say we're looking at 6-8 weeks before Kim's machine can be tested. This gives Kim a nice xmas present. Assuming this goes well and no changes are needed to assemblies, wiring, or boards, then production can begin. With 2 people on playfields, and 2 others doing cabinets and backboxes, I figure an experienced crew can assemble maybe 2 games/day. (Many of us have restored games; I can strip a WPC playfield and reassemble it in about 8-10 hours alone - figure 36 hours of labor for a complete BBB from parts). Working full-time, that's 10 games/week. With 180 games, that's 18 weeks or about 4 to 4.5 months. Give them a 20% buffer for contingency, etc. That's another month.

So, I figure a realistic delivery date at this point is June 1, 2006 assuming Gene waits to complete all games before making delivery.

I'm happy with that.

Joe Martz - #145
christian1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your time line except for the finishing of Kim's machine. I don't know about delivery of the playfield with wiring harness but they should be able to finish within a week of arrival. So hopefully the 6-8 weeks will be more like 3-4 weeks.

Jon
BBB #10
Kronis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many portions of the assemblies have been pre-constructed. It's not like they will literally have to construct each device from scratch. Still I imagine end of February for the first games to have completed testing and ready to ship.

Also, this was discussed on one of the BC forums, but regardless of what you think is a fair schedule for delivery, IPB doesn't have the space to store, pack, and palletize this many machines. They will be shipped out in increments, or one-by-one, and hopefully long before your June 1st date.

BBB #21
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have a killer headache so my thinking is slow today. But I was wondering which harnesses you are talking about? As far as i can tell from the prints that i have, i have at least a sample of all of the harnesses/cables the smaller one i have in stock and some of the other ones we have approximately 10 samples. The only one that we only have a couple of is the main harness. We did not want alot of those made in case there was some kind of a mistake on the prints.

Am i on the right track?

kim
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: delivery date Reply with quote

My guestimate on time and assembly of the 180 + machines puts a delivery date of 12/06 or even '07. That's my guess. but only a guess!Smile
jcmartz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:

Am i on the right track?

kim

Kim,

Yes, you're on the right track. Given the complexity of the harnessess and the need for high accuracy in construction, I think you're very smart to order only a few and test them to ensure they work properly.

When I've had to restore older games and rebuild portions of the harnesses, this was always a delicate and tricky job. Of course, you have the benefit of factory prints, etc., a huge plus. Given the large number of connections and plugs on these things, it's easy to make a mistake and (often) a bear to track down when/if a mistake crops up. This is especially true for lamp and switch matrix connections - they can lead to maddening errors to track down and correct.

You're doing great, and do keep us posted on how testing of the first harnesses goes.

Joe M.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: