Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you planning any mods or changes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... put me down for a set of rings also. Thanks.
Lou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if pinball manufacturing inc would make these available. But, I'd certainly buy a set, they really add to the space theme of the game.
Swann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bspins, I have in fact pictures of another BBB, and it's mounted orange rings on it's Tube ramp too. They are mounted a bit differently though (not so symmetrical), it doesn't look that good as on the picture that Robert published.

So yes I do believe there could exist some mounting and other specs. in the pile of stuff from Capcom regarding them.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
pinsane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swann wrote:
bspins, I have in fact pictures of another BBB, and it's mounted orange rings on it's Tube ramp too. They are mounted a bit differently though (not so symmetrical), it doesn't look that good as on the picture that Robert published.

Correct, there are two machines with this aftermarket mod.

Swann wrote:
So yes I do believe there could exist some mounting and other specs. in the pile of stuff from Capcom regarding them.

Since this mod was added by an ex Capcom employee after Capcom closed there wouldn't be specs for them amongst the Capcom documentation.

Anyone remember this from Trivia Tuesday #9?

How many Big Bang Bars did Capcom build with glitter paper and the orange rings on the tube ramp?

The answer is a) zero. The glitter paper and orange rings are aftermarket mods.

After Capcom closed, test engineer Steve Ritschdorff purchased 3 BBB’s from the Capcom president for $300 each. Steve had a friend who could laser cut plastic, so he had him cut the rings from orange edgelight plastic. He installed these on the tube ramp, as well as adding the holographic “glitter paper” inside the cabinet.

Rob Morrison suspects that the flesh tube dancer was created by Capcom’s plastic vendor who was very innovative. “The spec was always for a dayglow tube dancer, but it took many tries to get the right durometer rating, and our vendors would often experiment which energized our creative environment.”

Later Steve sold the game to Dave Edson of Replay Amusments who enjoyed the game for several years before putting it on ebay. This was the machine that famously attracted the $20,100 high bid. The top bidder for the game was not able to come up with the payment, but the second bidder stepped in and bought the game.

Steve Ritschdorff also sold one of his games to Dave Silverman along with an extra set of rings. This particular machine did not have a tube ramp, so Steve manufactured one out of clear plastic seen here:

Thus there are two games in the wild that have the orange ring mod.
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday trivia... gee I miss Tuesday trivia. Hope all is well, Steve. Sorry not to make it to Expo... looks like everyone enjoyed it... there was even a Lloyd sighting or two as I understand. ; )

Take care,

John
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinsane wrote:
After Capcom closed, test engineer Steve Ritschdorff purchased 3 BBB’s from the Capcom president for $300 each.

*THAT* was the deal of the century...
BBB #74
BBB93

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrrrrrr wrote:
Tuesday trivia... gee I miss Tuesday trivia. Hope all is well, Steve

Take care,

John

Yea, I miss Tuesday Trivia too, but can you imagine trying to come up with enough questions for every week Shocked It was a fun diversion while it lasted and seemed to get a lot of response and posts to the group.

Looking at this thread, there is nothing like a good 'ol discussion about orange glow rings to heat things up on the forum... Very Happy

Bob Stemmler #93
pinsane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:
pinsane wrote:
After Capcom closed, test engineer Steve Ritschdorff purchased 3 BBB’s from the Capcom president for $300 each.

*THAT* was the deal of the century...

True. Nonetheless, when I talked with Steve Ritschdorff, he expressed regret at selling too early (as several games changed hands at greater than $20K subsequent to his selling those games).

steve
pinsane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrrrrrr wrote:
Tuesday trivia... gee I miss Tuesday trivia. Hope all is well, Steve

Take care,

John

All is well here John. Thanks for asking!

BBB93 wrote:

Yea, I miss Tuesday Trivia too, but can you imagine trying to come up with enough questions for every week Shocked It was a fun diversion while it lasted and seemed to get a lot of response and posts to the group.

I really enjoyed doing them also, but they were a lot of work! I've got a few set aside that I didn't manage to post before bearcave shut down so when the time is right, I may resurrect them.

BBB93 wrote:

Looking at this thread, there is nothing like a good 'ol discussion about orange glow rings to heat things up on the forum... Very Happy

Bob Stemmler #93

Indeed. I think that the orange ring thread was the most populated one on the old forum, and it looks like it may claim that title on this forum as well!

steve
litz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From these posts about purchasing rings is it safe to assume that Gene has made a statement that they won't be included with the machines either mounted or loose?
BBB93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

litz wrote:
From these posts about purchasing rings is it safe to assume that Gene has made a statement that they won't be included with the machines either mounted or loose?

I seem to remember it had been discussed on the old forum that the rings were not part of the Bill of Materials, so that they were not going to be produced by PMI. The more i learn about this, it does sound more like a "mod" that was made as either an after thought, or at best, as an experiment to see if they were viable in production. I do think they look cool, but I am not sure they would have been part of BBB had it ever went to full production. That said, I think I would like to have some rings and add them on my game. If there are any extra tube ramps available for purchase, I think I would like to buy an extra, that way I could have one with the mod and one without.

Bob Stemmler #93
F1 Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rings certainly make the tube look better. I would probably get a set of rings.
runner1717

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta have a set of rings and glitter paper..............right Robert? Wink

Count me in!
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runner1717 wrote:
Gotta have a set of rings and glitter paper..............right Robert? Wink

You know I'm all over both of those mods. If I can't get another tube ramp from IPB to do the mod, I'll fab the whole thing from scratch, tube and all. I'd eliminate those diagonal grooves since they'd no longer be needed and would figure out some sort of clear anti-ball-hang protector for the rings. Maybe a clear tube that fits over the entire assembly, notched for clearance where necessary.

The glitter paper has already been sourced.
BBB #74
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinsane wrote:
several games changed hands at greater than $20K...

So what's the highest going rate for an original BBB?
BBB #74
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: