Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should non-buyers be allowed access to the forum?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should non-buyers be allowed access to the forum?
No, never
85%
 85%  [ 40 ]
Yes, if they abide by the forum rules
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
I don't care one way or the other - they have no impact on the project
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Should non-buyers be allowed access to the forum? Reply with quote

With all the fury in RGP lately regarding this project and the publication of the forum URL, I have been getting a LOT of registration requests from people I'm pretty sure are non-buyers. I'm sure there are a number of users I've allowed into the forum already that are non-buyers since I have no direct way to verify their status.

My question to everyone is the subject of this poll. Personally, I have no problem with letting anyone in. But the first non-productive negative post or flame I see from a member and I'd throw that user out. That's why this forum was created.

What's everyone's feeling on this? Please vote above and reply as well.
BBB #74
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough balancing act, Robert. There is certainly a large amount of good (and interesting) news in the forum. However, my concern is that one of the "I-hope-BBB-fails-regardless" crowd will take comments out of context and use them to villify Gene, Kim, Kerry, Bob, Steve, IPB, or PMI. Someone will always find a way to twist or turn something into a major issue (witness the wrong rivet on a ball guide topic that still crops up on r.g.p).

My worst fear would be that too much crap would get plastered over r.g.p, and then OUR sources here would dry up.

Personally, I'd leave the decision on opening the forum up to non-buyers to Gene.

Tony Dziedzic
BBB #39
BBB93

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one.... but in this case I am going to take a selfish position and say no, they should not have access to the forum. My reason is that WE may be less likely to get information. If this becomes in effect a public forum, those that provide the information may not share it as freely.

If PMI wants to share the good news with everybody, then I say let them make that call.

Bob Stemmler #93
runner1717

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just NO but HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hippy freak generation thinks all information should be free. That's just not the case. You don't pay, you don't play!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kronis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally, I say no.

It's really a decision that's up to you, Robert. You've been fantastic in hosting this board on your site, and putting in the work to keep it up. But if you let the mouth-breathers from RGP in, be prepared to moderate it on a daily or perhaps hourly basis. There's just too many tangents, too many insults, and when it comes right down to it, too many damned dummies who will want to have something to "say".

BBB #21
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronis wrote:
It's really a decision that's up to you, Robert.

Not really.

I started this forum for the project, not my personal use. So I'd abide by whatever decision Gene (ultimately), Kim, IPB, and forum members made on the issue.
BBB #74
BBB94

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no. The atmosphere on all three BBB forums has been pretty good. Even when there is concern or disagreement, things have stayed civil and ultimately constructive.

I share BBB 93’s concern that less info would be forthcoming from the BBB team. I think it could reduce the constructive posts from the members. Some of the long standing, but reluctant posters might decide against posting and we could lose their rare but valuable input.

I also agree with Kronis that it could also be difficult to monitor things, especially the extraction and posting of the info on RGP. It would really open the door to folks that choose to twist things and just generally be asses.

I think this forum has been working really well for us and that it is not worth the risk of messing it up to gain the input of the public at large and satisfy their curiosity. If you are simply trying to reduce the administrative burden of requests to join, perhaps you could work something out with Gene and Kim to verify who the buyers are. Maybe one email a week with the name, BBB#, home town, and email address of the new alleged buyers so that the BBB Team can verify or deny the claims. This should present a minimal time investment by you and the Team, while maintaining the privacy of those buyers that have no interest in the forum.
Swann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say no too, mostly to as BBB94 says, keep the atmosphere up and avoid the negativeism of RGP.

+ Most people in Sweden's Pinball community doesn't have clue that one machine will be put on location here... more fun with a surprise then a common fact Wink
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
kstair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Impact of negatives Reply with quote

I think I'd leave them out . . . personally I enjoy this forum like I rarely enjoy RGP. You guys are positive and excited and I get recharged reading stuff you guys write. This group is like a cheering section driving us on. The pinballers that have a vested interest in this are here. Those that don't have a vested interest are there. PERFECT ! just the way it is

my two cents . . .

Kerry

Mantis Amusements
bspins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my thought is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But does that mean I have to leave?????
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
unigroove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. I rarely visit RGP because it was no fun anymore. I hate to see that happen to this forum.

Jonathan
zaphod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should non-buyers be allowed access to the forum? Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:

What's everyone's feeling on this? Please vote above and reply as well.

I hope that non-buyers with a direct interest in the BBB pinball project would be allowed. For example: Original BBB owners, BBB designers and artists, BBB parts suppliers, BBB assemblers, etc.
Former BBB #115 owner.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should non-buyers be allowed access to the forum? Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
I hope that non-buyers with a direct interest in the BBB pinball project would be allowed. For example: Original BBB owners, BBB designers and artists, BBB parts suppliers, BBB assemblers, etc.

That is already allowed and there are numerous members from those above categories.

FWIW, the forum requirements will NOT change.
BBB #74
atlfun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am on the keeping it private side. I do not see a positive and see a whole lot of negatives. I am also growing tired of RGP. I have no desire to see __________ (fill in the blank with your favorite troll) commenting on items posted in this forum.

I mean Runner wears me out with his constant "are we done yet" posts. Laughing Could you imagine if someone like Gary started giving his "two cents" retort on RGP to threads started here? At least Runner's heart is in the right place, and he is just anxious for any news. While RGP trolls would just criticize every twist and turn into the ground.

Additionally, I like the relative disclosure of the good and the bad. I am sure that a lot less "bad or delayed" would be posted if the forum were open to a less supportive people.

My 2 cents,

Brian
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Naaa... Reply with quote

Unless you can verify that they are buyers or are somehow actually connected to the project, I'd say leave them out. Kick out all the former buyers too! JUST KIDDING!!! Former buyers are cool! You could post a message asking for vouchers for people who say they are buyers; I know of a buyer who I don't think has signed up.

There are lots of forums and places to talk about pinball stuff. Also, with this project, some material might be less fluid since it would be going to the general public. The clips I've been putting out have been a little edgy and there are more like it (plus a couple of really cool surprises if I can get permission to distribute it to you).

Keep it as is, I say!

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: