Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So where did the Ramp Update Thread go??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runner1717

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: So where did the Ramp Update Thread go?? Reply with quote

????? Shocked Shocked Shocked
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was removed at the request of the original poster.
BBB #74
tvpinballs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why after seeing the pics of the ramp after the belt sander! Hope these are fixed right? Todd
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see what the big deal is. I think getting a ramp expert like James from Pinball Inc involved these can all be fixed pretty easily.

-c
runner1717

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that was just a test ramp to judge fit........... I'm sure the finals will be much better than that one. Right???

On one of the pictures you could really see the Black registration errors around the playfield inserts around the outside loop. Steve had told us about these and luckily they are partially hidden. I ordered an extra playfield so if it bugs me that bad I'll have BD fix the other one and do a swap.

I know that's the reason no one likes to post updates with pictures as we all (myself included) kinda freakout at every detail...........

SOG: Don't stop posting pictures! Any news is better than none at all!!!!
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:
I dont see what the big deal is. I think getting a ramp expert like James from Pinball Inc involved these can all be fixed pretty easily.
-c

I'm still amazed at how much the ramp has to be sanded before the alien can do his 360° turn. Isn't the ramp supposed to fit in almost like a glove? As long as it can be fixed relatively cleanly, it's indeed no big deal.
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a sample of what the problem was and what needed to be done to fix it. How the cut outs needed to be made.

I'm not sure what the solution is going to be, but we didn't want people to misunderstand the pictures. When we have a solution we will post what is going to be done.

thanks,

kim
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PINBALL WITCH wrote:
That was a sample of what the problem was and what needed to be done to fix it. How the cut outs needed to be made.

I'm not sure what the solution is going to be, but we didn't want people to misunderstand the pictures. When we have a solution we will post what is going to be done.

thanks,

kim

Thanks Kim,

I know that there are a lot of after mold cuts that James has to do with all his ramps. For example the WH20 ramps that he has had to be milled after molding to fit some of the tight tolerances of meeting with the lip on the upper playfield. The cuts looked great and were very precise.

I dont see that this is a big drawback as if you look at a lot of ramps they're modified and cut after the initial mold run. So no need to panic, Luickily there are a lot of people in the know on the NAAPA bus.

as far as registration errors goes i'm hoping that the worst ones become the test fixtures and the prototypes would be where the good playfields start.

-c
metallik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black registration on the pics I saw (before they were taken down) was no worse than many WMS fields I've seen. Not seconds (leftover NOS), but actually in a game. I shopped a Demoman once that had the registration fine at the bottom, but up by MTL, it was off to the point that part of the insert was slightly outside the black outline.

Please, don't be so picky. I know this is a "special" run of games, but they're still mass-produced. Slight glitches will happen.. just ask anyone who's unboxed more than one NIB game from any manufacturer. The accuracy of the registration I saw was more than acceptable for me.
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:
The black registration on the pics I saw (before they were taken down) was no worse than many WMS fields I've seen. Not seconds (leftover NOS), but actually in a game. I shopped a Demoman once that had the registration fine at the bottom, but up by MTL, it was off to the point that part of the insert was slightly outside the black outline.

Please, don't be so picky. I know this is a "special" run of games, but they're still mass-produced. Slight glitches will happen.. just ask anyone who's unboxed more than one NIB game from any manufacturer. The accuracy of the registration I saw was more than acceptable for me.

agreed. I had to rebuild a decent chunk of my LOTR and i'm still tweaking it. I'm fine if things arent 100% perfect. I'm playing a game and not looking at fine art at a museum.

-c
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you guys think this is not a problem, then I don't worry anymore . I'm a pinball-noob so I assumed you just have to slam all the parts together to get a perfect machine Razz
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the cosmetics, my primary concern was that trimming the ends of the two plastic projections that form the slot for the rollover switch lever might result in ball hang-up issues when a slow-moving ball enters the alien's mouth.

Tony
BBB #39
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallik wrote:

Agreed.

Ross
BBB94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I need to start downloading all pics as soon as they hit - you'd think I'd learn from the loss of the old forum...

I didn't get to look closely at the pics before they got pulled, so I could be wrong here, but I don't think anything was done to the front of the ramp. I believe material needed to be taken off the back where it attaches to the backboard. It is my understanding that the ramps are too far forward, causing the targets next to the ramp entrance and the aliens to not have enough room to work properly. So I think anything that you think you saw on the front of the ramp may have been an aberration or bad pics.
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures that were posted definitely showed that the area I described had been trimmed back via use of a round-edged power tool. Your description of excess material at the backboard end makes sense in this context; certainly another option would be to remove material from the backboard end of the ramp.

Tony
BBB #39
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: