Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games will deliver in 2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Games will deliver in 2009 Reply with quote

It looks like the games are coming along but at the current build rate it will be 2009 before they are done. Its a fact

We will have waited 5 years for everyones' machines to be done.

Unless we hire a team to build the games, we should plan to see them in 2009.

I know a lot of you would like to volunteer but logistically it would be a nightmare to schedule people coming and going. Maybe that's why you haven't been contacted to be a volunteer!

I am not looking to reimburse Gene for the Extra money he has put into the game. I am looking fro Gene to hire a build team to finish the game this year!

As a suggestion. If everyone chipped in another $500.00 per game, It would be possible to hire a full time team to put the games together and have them all deliver by the end of the year. Its possible. Money would be put in an escrow and delivered to Gene once the machines were done by a hired build team.

If we don't chip in, it will be a min of 2 years until there finsihed and at max 3.5 years.

Now I know there are people who say, the price is the price or I don't have the money. Well I understand, but what you need to understand is that the games won't be done for another couple of years.

I am not trying to rock the boat, I am a realist and choose to see the truth versus sugar coat the obvious.

just my 2 cents
Swann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start an argument here, but to say "it looks like" and "it's a fact" speaks against each other. Either it's a fact or it's an personal estimate.

We've been speaking about this in the other thread where Robert asked about how many that was willing to put in some more money into the project. Sadly though is that the poll doesn't show what the vast majority thinks about it, too few that votes here.

My own opinion is that to put in more money now would;
A. Look bad on RPG. and generally in the Pinball community (for Gene)
B. Feel strange/weird for me. To pay more then I've bargained for.
C. You can't force people to pay more, some might actually not even be able to do it.

BUT with that said, I do think all three issues could be resolved by selling overpriced merchendise, personally it would feel much better to (for example) overpay for a t-shirt that says "I payed twice for a Big Bang and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" Very Happy

Anyway that's just my cent on the issue, do think it's good that it's brought up to the surface though. Just be careful of how "a estimate" can turn into "a fact on RGP.".... Wink
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
zaphod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Games will deliver in 2009 Reply with quote

Big bang bar wrote:
Games will Deliver in 2009

It looks like the games are coming along but at the current build rate it will be 2009 before they are done. Its a fact

We will have waited 5 years for everyones' machines to be done.

Unless we hire a team to build the games, we should plan to see them in 2009.

At first I thought that this post was an official announcement form the BBB team of when the games will ship. This is your personal educated guess about delivery dates, not a fact. Maybe robert can move this to the general topic area so people don't mistake this for an official announcement.

Me, I would prefer to make my desisions based on information released from the BBB assembly team.
Former BBB #115 owner.
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the assembly work was done, they are probably waiting for the newly clear coated playfields to dry.

Then the playfields will come together quickly.

My guess would be years end not 2009.
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is a personal educated guess but a good and real one. This Oct will be 2 years.

If you choose to believe that they will deliver this year, your only kidding yourself.

Two guys building machines, 1 game every week, puts the completion of games at 3.5 years. It is rumored that they have ten games almost done. It's almost "MAY". Earlist delivery would be two years if they get more help.

Those ten are protoypes, those people who ordered the protoypes will have to wait 3 years to get their already completed games. Those games will be collecting a lot of dust.

Ask the two or three volunteers when they think they will get the games done.

I put this topic here to grab your attention.

I understand your Points(A, B, C) but what looks worse to RPG.

A.) RPG finding out that the game is not built this year and the game taking 3.5 years is a worse scenerion. If it costs $500.00 extra to get the game done this year, RPG will unsderstand when they see the finsihed product. And who cares what RPG thinks!

B.) What feels worse waiting 3 years for the game or wondering if the game will be scrapped! A lot can happen in 3 years!

C.)No you can't force people, but you can enlighten them, and hope they see the light!

We all did purchase the game for a Bargain price!

We need to help and not just volunteer!

Just my 2 cents
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaphod

Ask the BBB assembly Team the question! You won't like the answer!

It seems like no one wants to ask the questions.

If somone asks the uncomfortable questions on this forum, the group quickly slaps their hand an puts them back in line.

The suggestion to chip in an Extra $500.00 put in escrow to hire a team, will help out Gene and ourselves. We both benefit!

Just my 2 cents
mikeflan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Games will deliver in 2009 Reply with quote

>>>>
As a suggestion. If everyone chipped in another $500.00 per game, It would be possible to hire a full time team to put the games together and have them all deliver by the end of the year. Its possible. Money would be put in an escrow and delivered to Gene once the machines were done by a hired build team.

If we don't chip in, it will be a min of 2 years until there finsihed and at max 3.5 years.
>>>

Possible responses off the top of my head -

1) Let's see... Gene has had my $4500 for closing on two years, the market is up at least 15 percent a year, that means he already has at least an extra $1000 bucks of my money.

2) While I'm as nice a guy as the next, (assuming the next is a total SOB), I generally don't go out of my way to offer to pay more than asking price, especially AFTER the deal is made. While I understand there have been cost overruns, these should have been expected (and probably were). Gene changed the deal once before by demanding full payment in advance, and while I did pony up the cash, it left a bitter taste in my mouth that still lingers.

3) Finally - Gene doesn't seem to be asking for more money. You are offering to send more money. You may be in a position to do so; I have to believe others aren't.

While I find this sentiment oddly touching, and whole-heartedly support you writing a check out and sticking it in the post office TODAY, (send me one as well while you are at it) I'm not sure if this is warranted. I haven't heard anything to date that Gene doesn't already have plans to hire more workers. In fact, judging by the setup at the factory, with various assembly areas, I have to believe he is planning on having more workers. This may have already been budgeted.

Plus, up to this point, more help hasn't seemed necessary. The biggest problem has seemed to be getting all the parts, making sure they fit, and dealing with the problems that come up (like the playfields clearcoat). I like to believe that once all the preliminary work is finally finished, assembly will ramp up.

In addition, I have to believe that some of the folks in our little group can do better work as volunteers than any $7.50 hour a worker doing assembly. While it would be nice to have a trained work force 40 hours a week, maybe it's not in the cards for this project. Speaking for myself, depending on when they actually have assembly, I can be up in Bloomington a week or two.

(Come to think of it, $500 would be a ton cheaper than me taking off work for two weeks, plus a $300 plane ticket from Houston, plus a rental car to Bloomington. But then I wouldn't get to be a part of all this madness.)

Kerry mentioned in an earlier post somewhere that this would be the last Christmas we'd have to go without a BBB. He might have been kidding. I'm certainly not sure if that is still valid, but it taking 3.5 years as you suggest seems to tilt the timeline pendulum an absurd direction. I expect that the game has been delayed a couple of months. I can live with that. I've done it this long.

I'm not particularly frustrated where we are today: it would have been nice to have the games last March, but hey, it will be nice to have them next March also. Watching the game be built, and seeing the updates (which have been altogether too rare as of late, dammit), has been a real illuminating experience for me. It's what I'll remember most when this is all said and done.

Mike

I hope no one takes this as a slam at Gene or IPB or whatever... I like Gene and IPB. Aside from the payment snafu, communication, especially with Georgiana, has been supurb (though calling to make sure I was OK after Katrina and Rita was touching in a way I never expected). I'm looking forward to the game and am confident Gene and company will get it done: that's why I sent my money in the first place. That's why I'm not selling my stake in it now.

Go team.
atlfun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I would see the day where Wayne would be defending the BBB production schedule. It is nice to see that the big guy's are playing nice. Very Happy This hobby has really turned me off over the last year with all the bickering and what not.

At this point, everyone has been offered a full refund if they so choose. I have no problem paying an extra $500 if that guarantees me an XMAS delivery date. Let's face it, volunteering will cost most of us more than $500. By the time you calculate travel costs and lost wages. However, if I can't have it by Christmas, then I am really in no rush.

Brian
CraigC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take my machine as a kit right now, then assembly will be shortened by that much Wink

-c
BBB93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would prefer to wait for the "official" word from PMI. It sounds as if there were a few hurdles and hoops that had to be jumped, hopefully those are mostly behind us. Also, I think that there was/is progress being made while issues such as the playfields clearcoat were being worked out. Many of the sub-assemblies are done which will help with the final assembly.

That being said, I would be willing to do any number of things to help with the process.

1) I am willing to be part of the volunteer assembly team. I can't move to Bloomington, but I can spend probably a few days a month, mostly on weekends.

2) I am willing to put $500.00 into an escrow account and hire a full time assembly team to get the job done.

3) Put all of my parts in a big box, put together a nice little video or assembly manual (something along the lines of a full blown shop/restoration guide) and I will pick it up in Bloomington tomorrow. That will be one less machine that has to be assembled by PMI Laughing .

I realize everyone is anxious to receive their games. I don't believe it is Gene's plan to have just 1 or 2 guys assemble all 182 games on a part time basis. Therefore I have to believe that we will soon be hearing more about how that will be accomplished. In the mean time, we'll need some patience and hopefully some more regular updates. Very Happy

Bob S
BBB93
raypanic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some direct input from Gene. All this is up to him. I have gone beyond my deal by paying the remainder prior to delivery. Gene, in my opinion needs to make some decisions and let us know what can be done and what cannot. Waiting 3 years is too iffy, Many things can happen in 3 years.

Personally this is why I bought a prototype "figuring" he would get these done first. Now I keep hearing they are to all be shipped at the same time while mine sits for years waiting for everyone elses to be done. Not good.

I have not called them recently but prior when I did the said to see the website. Has anyone else called lately. Everyone is saying they dont have time for an update, to me this is bull it takes maybe 15 minuites to give a short text update.

We need input from you Gene you made the deal with us. The indians are now getting restless!!
#002 Brass Prototype
mushroom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts ...
*I* also think that typing an update is 15 minutes tops and am wondering why it seems to be so hard to make one. If what's happening at Bloomington is none of our business they should say so instead of letting us in the dark. On one hand it *is* none of our business, they manufacture something and the guy I bought my refrigerator from also didn't give me any updates, otoh ofcourse the games are more than a year overdue...
Second : the extra $500...., if I was living in America and just had to hop in my 4x4 to go to Bloomington and pop in the BBB I'd be all over it (so, I understand the original poster and his crusade to get everyone to pay the extra $500) , however, when I open the package of my BBB it will have cost me 1500 Euro (that's $2000) more, just for shipping and taxes ! That makes a grand total of $6500 to get the exact same BBB as you guys do. To add to that another $500 is a bit too much for me.
RazerX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ask the BBB assembly Team the question! You won't like the answer!

Haha, you mean the guy?
Robot #71
rjones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Games will deliver in 2009 Reply with quote

For me, it is a simple as this:

Kerry Stair said we would have these by Christmas (2006). He is more than an honorable guy. So until I hear different from him, I have no reason to doubt his delivery date.
vbirdsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly fork over another $500 if that would guarantee me the game delivered by Xmas. Put me down in the YES column.

Vince
BBB #50
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: