Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone got any fun projects going on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: anyone got any fun projects going on? Reply with quote

I'm working on fixing a matrix issue on my FH. man is that fun.

may be getting a shadow soon.

anyone else have any fun pinball stories.

-c
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I have been looking to get a Shadow or TZ, whichever came up in good condition. Leaving a sqeeze space for BBB I was limited to one more machine in the games room. In Oz machines are pretty thin on the ground, at least in nice condition so I have been looking for a while. Haven't seen a Shadow for sale for years. I am 50 miles from the closest capital city, and machines don't come up where I live very often at all. So when a TZ came up two weeks ago 500 miles away for a good price, I took the plunge and bought it. Turned out very nice, couldn't be happier. Seems it was "retired" from service early in its life with some issues, all of which were pretty simple opto problems solved in a couple of hours, so the cabinet and playfield are close to mint.

Then....

Coming back from a meeting the day after paying for the TZ I stopped in at a dealer, and there was a Shadow - in just about perfect shape, no fade, no playfield wear etc etc etc. I couldn't believe it! But too late.

Then....

Lo and behold, the day after I drive 50 miles to ccllect my TZ from the depot, on comes a beautiful TZ on ebay about 5 minutes from where I live. I feel better now that it is $500 more than the one I bought with a few days to go, but **two** conincidences like that...

Something out of the Twilight Zone, I say!

Regards
Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone got any fun projects going on? Reply with quote

CraigC wrote:
anyone else have any fun pinball stories.

I'm *fully* restoring my Fathom, including a new BTC cabinet (which is gorgeous). It will get a new playfield, new plastics, new drop targets, new displays, new backglass (maybe - the old one is near perfect), etc.

I guess it's more "building a new one" than restoring, but I have taken this project to a level unlike anything I've ever done before. I disassembled the coin door and had all the parts as well as *every* piece of metal inside the cabinet replated to its original zinc-blue glory. It's stunning so far.

I'll be starting in on the playfield next week but at the pace I'm going, it will probably be a few months before it's completed.

I'm selling a HUO Breakshot and a HUO Pistol Poker to make room for a POTC (hopefully) and ultimately my BBB!
BBB #74
latecomer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone got any fun projects going on? Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:

I'm *fully* restoring my Fathom, including a new BTC cabinet (which is gorgeous). It will get a new playfield, new plastics, new drop targets, new displays, new backglass (maybe - the old one is near perfect), etc.

Sounds more like you making a new Fathom and just reusing the old mechs and boards, and maybe the backglass!
Vegemite Nick #123
bspins

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just finished packing up a special slot machine that has to be shipped to a friend in LA and next I have to pack up a CFTBL that I restored and is being shipped to a guy in Reno.

When the two of them are gone, the fun begins. I get to restore my CC. I can't wait.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
nworker

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still looking of a Pinball Magic ramp. The metal wire ramp that goes form the stage down to the shooter lane. I have been searching high and low. Any ideas for the BBB team on where I might find one.

Hank@nworks.com
mushroom

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm converting a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles machine into a Porsche Boxster machine with Checkpoint roms ! Cool
I'm now at the stage where I have to design the playfield plastics and start the rewiring off all the switches, lamps, solenoids and flashers.
More info and pics can be found here :
http://users.pandora.be/mushroomamusements/projects/projects.htm
and the best part is : it's written in English ! Smile
atlfun

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing a playfield swap on my Whirlwind. I picked up a Diamond Plated WW with an average cabinet, so I am putting that pf into my current cabinet which is near flawless. If I could find a minty ES to go with it that would make my year. Well, and of course, BBB.

I seem to have drifted towards a NOAH collection. Not sure why I like pairs but I have a GNR and KISS, Scared Stiff and EATPM. I would also like to find a nice Haunted House to go with my Black Hole. Plus, I am debating on keeping my Gottlieb Spiderman to go with the upcoming Stern Spiderman.

Brian
BBB#76
nworker

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring a Pinball Magic. It is mostly complete save the habitrail ramp from the stage to the right inlane. I have gotten off the playfield mylar and it has a beatiful red playfield.

Just the thing to get me excited about the BBB! and it will have a sister (I think of PM as a female Razz
awarner

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little bit on the opening for Pins & Vids #2 - I have a guy doing some custom 3-D graphics for me as well. There are still a few more things to get on tape and then the final edit. This will be VERY BBB folks!

As for projects, I'm working on a Tempest Video for a friend. I just built a Multi Game out of my Donkey Kong, I am going to put the Konami 80's Classic JAMMA board in my Gyruss, I have a QIX that needs to be fixed and a monitor put in, I have a Gravitar in pieces and who knows what condition, and I have a Pinball Magic that needs a total restore. I also picked up a new clear ramp for my TAF from James at Pinball Inc. so that will need a light shopping and installation. I also have two Pat Hand EMs and a NOS playfield to try and make one nice game out of.

So, I'm busy. Really busy...

Oh, and I'm prolly going to try and sell my Hyperball and I know I'll have a Star Rider for sale (Very rare Williams Laserdisc Video Game).

That's about all...

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
tcat

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished two Atari Superman pins. I bought them over 8 years ago and am just now finishing the second one. I finished one 6 years ago and the second machine sat until a few months ago. The original idea was to make one good working machine, but after seeing I had all the parts, I couldn't trash the second one. The playfield was rough but after many many hours of touch up and clearcoating it looks incredible. All the metal parts were removed and polished, repaired, replaced, etc. The underneath looks as good as the top. The boards were sent to John's Jukes in B.C. and were rebuilt. I finally found a perfect backglass and replaced the flaky one. The cabinet has been touched up and now I finally have two very nice Supes that look great and play very well.

I have three other projects going on right now. I have a Stern Seawitch that was completely dead, with a hacked rectifer, CPU and Solenoid boards. Wires soldered directly to the pins, jumper wires galore, burned connectors, cut wires in the harness and on the displays. The cabinet is in good shape and the payfield is nice. I have all the boards replaced or fixed, and all wires repaired and it now plays flawlessly. Now I am in the process of stripping the playfield, doing some touch ups and then clearcoat . The backglass is flaked badly and has been triple-thick coated and will need touch up.

I have a Kings of Steel that is getting a playfield swap. I bought this dead as a doornail. It is now playing after a lot of board repair that I have done myself, but the playfield is junk. I bought a wired and populated one on Ebay and will swap it out soon.

The last project is another playfield swap. I have a new Centaur playfield coming from Gene and company. The cabinet is nice. I found new targets, nos backglass and new plastics. I am still chasing some ciruit board issues, but will have it playing 100% by the time the new playfield arrives.

Plenty of projects to keep me busy certainly. Good luck with all of your projects my Big Bang Brothers.

Regards,
Harold
BBB #132
nitrodude

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I desined a new opto for a frends Maverick it's going well i'll be burning boards next week.
The next project is a traditnal Greenland kajak padel, then I have a month to learn how too use it before I take it out on a verey big fast river where the ships create 3-6 foot vertical waves.

Lifes not only pinball !!!

Nitrodude Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: