Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project concerns dialog...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Project concerns dialog... Reply with quote

A friend of mine who was not on the new forum (for some reason) sent me this e-mail and expressed his concerns about the current "Situation". Now, again, this was after the BC breakup and before he knew of this forum so some of these concerns are answered. This is not a "Everything will work out post", so if you don't like posts that ask the tough questions, hit the BACK button.

Also to IPB/PMI - We're not attacking you guys! $4500.00 is a LOT of money to some (most) of us. We have concerns.

I'm keeping his name annonymous and editing some of his comments to cool them off a bit (He's more blunt than I want to post).

=== Here we go...

"I've been thinking--a little too much on the subject, I think--that we could
be in line for a real screwing from PMI. Something isn't right with this
and I hope my gut feeling is dead wrong.

I am definitely losing faith and what really bothers me is the fact that
Gene had the "foresight" to start a separate corporation in order to do BBB.

Why would he need a separate corporation? The main reason to set up another corp. is this protects IPB from any lawsuits and he can go on being pinball Gene as if nothing happened--even if he screws us.

Obviously, he has all the money and is firmly in the driver's seat and can dictate any fate he wants. That really bothers me after the Bearcave thing.

What he would do with all the BBB parts is a guess--I assume he would rather assemble these parts than have them lay around forever. I don't really know what to think and I guess now we're all supposed to sit by our mailboxes and wait for Georgianna to let us know when they're finished.

I guess what I'm thinking is I really NEEDED the updates those guys posted because it not only provided the project's status, it offered a little piece of mind as well (plus, they were doing a lot of work on the project--help that Gene doesn't have now). We liked to think that Gene was leaving a legacy and all that, but I felt--since the outset--that this was all kind of a strange gamble. Now I'm getting worried. Maybe I'm letting the rgp negativity creep in but I find it hard to argue with them right now. And maybe Bearcave would have warned us if we were in for a screwing--who knows.

You feeling anything like this too?

In sum, the problems with this project:

Was supposed to finish the games in March
Asked for more money after we were told it would be due when picked up
The Bearcave guys' issue
The separate corporation issue
Why is he keeping the parties assembling the games such a secret?
If Gene left this world tomorrow, who would get a refund?
Now that BC guys are gone, who's going to coordinate all of these parts?"

===This ended the first letter.===

I wrote him back explaining of the new forum and some of the things he questioned...

ME: As for the money, the only thing that's made me feel a little
better was that everything was handled by Georgianna. I think that if
Gene was out of the picture, she'll either finish the games or give refunds.

HIM: I hope so too, but legally, she can get away with keeping it. If they spent all of the cash, the corp IS technically bankrupt, so... If we ALL asked for our cheese back, it would likely tube the corporation.

ME: At least Kim is on the new forum now. That might add some light to the end of the tunnel.

HIM: That's a really good sign! Glad you told me. People who bail on you usually start hiding... I do think we NEED a forum.

===End of follow up comments===

I really want to see this project completed and I really want my machine, but paranoia will destroy-ya! Please comment with your opinions. The forum has been a little slow (for posts) lately so maybe this will fire some of y'all up!
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Project concerns Reply with quote

Your friend has every right to be concerned do to the latetest information about Bear Cave, but I don't think Bear Caves departure will stop the game from being produced.

Gene's reputation is on the line. I don't know him from Adam, but I personally wouldn't want my reputation tarnished for life by taking a million dollars of peoples hard earned cash.

My impression of Gene and Geogianna are that they are good down to earth people that are trying to build a pinball machine the best way they can. They varied from the original contract asking for the remaining balance and missed the production date, but they explained the reasons's why, which were due to production cost and part delays. We all new March was a unrealistic expectation for delivery of the games.

As for Gene not producing the games, there are plenty of people here in Chicago that can come to Gene's aid if asked to help out.

At worst case, if Gene couldn't put the game together due to manpower, but had all the parts to assemble a complete machine, there are plenty of people who could assemble this game here in Chicago if we banded together. I don't know about 180 machines but at least I could get mine done Wink

I personally know a guy who's grandfather started Bally and this guy personally ran Bally and has produced pinball machines. He has recently produced & designed non pinball games for Betson. This guy has the manpower and facility to take all the parts and finish the game. I am not saying he would or wouldn't help out on this project if needed, but he does have the knowlege background and expertise as one of the former Bally owner's. One can only ask in times of desperation?

As for the RGP newsgroup, they don't know Jack. I will say that Korn and Pinlicious have really been pretty good about not bashing this project anymore and seem interested in the progress. I may be wrong about that and I do know Pinlicious personally. This tells me that they do want to see this project completed.

I have great amount of faith and trust in Giorgianna. I have personally talked with her on the phone twice and she does not come across as someone that would not deliver something she and Gene promised.

All this is my Psycho babble, but I hope it helps in easing anyones anxiety about this adventure.

I have FAITH in the Cunninghams
runner1717

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have FAITH in the Cunninghams

I think most all 183 of us do........to the tune of $823,500!

We do need to get Kim conditioned to give us some regular updates though........ They do at least give us peace of mind knowing the project is moving forward. Kim??
Kronis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to "keep the faith". The project will get done.

No one produces 200- some playfields for a game that won't complete. It's too much of an investment of time & money right there.

Also, PMI was created to dodge certain taxes that IPB would incur, had they handled the entire BBB project outright- namely an "unexpected" windfall of revenue that was the $4500 ownership fee. Don't fault Gene & co. for having good accounting savvy.

Relax.

BBB #21
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how people might be concerned. But I've seen way too much to think that the project would not be completed -

200+ playfields
200+ cabinet decals
Plastics
Tube Dancers (both versions)
Orange tube ramp
All wire ramps are done and powdercoated (and look awesome)
Arch, target and other playfield decals
Logic boards are done (but may need testing)
EL driver boards are done
Side rails are done
Lockdown bars are done
Wiring harnesses are done (IIRC)

Now I could be wrong, but there's not a lot of game specific stuff left. The only major hurdles I see remaining are cabinets, assembly and testing. Just about all the parts have been completed.

I'm sure most people are getting anxious to see the games completed, as am I. But I realize the enormity of the task. With the unfortunate departure of BC the whole process may take a while longer, but it will be completed.

Patience is a virtue... even when you have $4500+ on the line.
BBB #74
zobber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what,

I will be in Bloomington very soon. I'm also an investor and spoke to both Georgiana and Gene personally. I am very much looking forward to the trip and I promise I will personally post all of my findings.

Stay tuned!
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a semi update. Unfortunately I'm not sure where it ended up but I put it under new topic.
I lost my post last week and ran out of time to retype it. SORRY Sad
If you have questions I will answer them to the best of my ability or I will try to find out the information.
kim
waltr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks Kim Reply with quote

Really just want to thank Kim for joining this group.I do have to admit,until Kim came aboard,I was really nervous when the BC guys left. Kim brings quite a bit of comfort to the group and myself.The faith is back. Really looking forward to the finished product,but we all know it's the distant future.The machine is WELL worth the wait as we all know. Once again, THANK YOU, PINBALL WITCH!
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you!
THEY FOUND THE TRUCK!!!!
I will post under new topic.
The witch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: