Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to forum - Very impressed with BBB Forum and BBB owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taypat1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: New to forum - Very impressed with BBB Forum and BBB owners Reply with quote

Hi -

Joe Newhart here from PA. Don't ask why I haven't been on the forum since signing up, since I'm a regular reader of RGP. I think it was one of those things where I had the faith the machine would be made and just went with that - choosing not to get obsessive about it. Boy, am I disappointed. I see all Kerry's updates, all the civil banter and exchange of info, Kim's updates, etc... and I know I missed out on some of the fun of being part of this project (by at least supporting it).

I just about read every post I could find and I am so impressed it is not anything like RGP. I enjoy reading that, but it's a soap opera with people banging their chests all the time, etc... I see none of that here - and you guys really have all the reason in the world to brag or whatnot by being a part of this with all the negativity that surrounding the project. I am expecially impressed that the info from the forum stays here - pictures too... I almost kicked myself when I see all these great pictures and updates from Kerry that have been posted all along and there were sitting here for me to see and I never did check up. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Now, I'm part of the forum and will be checking it regularly and hopefully contributing. There really seems to be a kinship amongst this group on the forum and the BBB owners. Needless to say I'm happy to be along and a part of the group now.

I'm located in Northeast PA - Near Wilkes Barre / Scranton (1 hour north of Allentown) and if anyone is passing through give me a yell. I have a collection of 100 games set up and working - Pinball / Arcade / Jukebox / some rare arcade stuff from the 1930's all the way up to (dare I say) POTC very soon.... Can't wait to add my BBB !

Couple questions... and I'm sorry if it's been covered and I didn't see it in my frenzy of reading tonight...

1. Any estimate when all the games will be done and ready to ship ? Are we talking Christmas 2006 ? I see some mention of that - any official word or estimate ? I know that's tough to do since people then hold you to it, but I think this certainly is a patient group...

2. I know this is gettting ahead of things, but are there any plans / discussion about doing maybe another game - Kingpin or something ? Would be great to keep it going after BBB is out the door. Don't know if ?Kingpin has the parts available like there were available for BBB at time of Capcom shutdown.. Don't know the history there... Just curious... In any case, I'm sure we'd all be right there again to support Gene since he's obviously done good here with BBB.

That's all I can think of right now... Just wanted to say HI and say how impressed I was with IPB, the progress, the forum, and the BBB owners...
Keep it going !

Joe Newhart
Dallas, PA 18612
570-357-0042
taypat1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, my email is TAYPAT1@AOL.COM

Joe Newhart
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum - Very impressed with BBB Forum and BBB own Reply with quote

taypat1 wrote:
1. Any estimate when all the games will be done and ready to ship ? Are we talking Christmas 2006 ? I see some mention of that - any official word or estimate ? I know that's tough to do since people then hold you to it, but I think this certainly is a patient group...

2. I know this is gettting ahead of things, but are there any plans / discussion about doing maybe another game - Kingpin or something ? Would be great to keep it going after BBB is out the door. Don't know if ?Kingpin has the parts available like there were available for BBB at time of Capcom shutdown.. Don't know the history there... Just curious... In any case, I'm sure we'd all be right there again to support Gene since he's obviously done good here with BBB.

Welcome! Here are my answers, they are in no way official, just based on info I've gathered through discussions with those in-the-know.

1. As far as I've heard, I believe the target is prior to Christmas 2006. If it goes slightly beyond that, I'm sure we'd understand.

2. I doubt Kingpin/others would happen. BBB had way too many headaches and was probably a major stress factor for Gene and those directly involved.

I'm looking forward to getting my BBB along with everyone else and then sharing tips/mods/tweaks/etc.

Bring on the orange rings!
BBB #74
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the party! (Well, it's more like standing in line at an amusement park. It'll be great when you finally get to the "front of the line," but it has it's moments of boredom and you're surrounded by impatient kids. It's like that, except you're not standing behind a fat lady wearing pink spandex for 3 hours...but, I digress).

Here's my best shot at answering your questions:

1. Time estimate? Well, it's still a guess at this point, but at least we can do better at making our guesses semi-educated. I don't think the people working on the project want to set a target date...there are just too many unforseen factors that would make such a date problematic. Some are guessing Expo 2006, some are guessing Christmas 2006, and some are guessing next summer (or later). You're right...setting a date makes people want to "hold you to it"...and with all the unforseen possibilities, it just wouldn't be smart.

There are some details that we'd like to know in order to make our guesses better...like, how many people are working on the project currently, are volunteers lined up, etc etc....but, we've waited this long, so why get antsy now?

Wish I would have known about your place before today. We're leaving in the morning and heading out on an Eastern road trip (Through PA, MD, NJ, NY, CT, MA, ME, NH, VT, Niagara Falls, and then back to Michigan). Oh well...everything is already booked, so you lucked out!

Crap, I gotta get to bed. I hate all this news hitting now when I'm going to be away from my PC for a couple weeks.

Pete Mathis
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robert...

Do you hit "Refresh" on the page once every 5 minutes, or what?

Me too...

(Can't believe you beat me to the answers).

Pete
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: What Gene told me... Reply with quote

When I interviewed Gene last year, he told me that he only had boardsets to do 172 machines. That was part of his decision why he only was going to make 111 BBBs originally, so he could do a smaller run of Kingpin. He also told me that Georgianna told him that this was his last big project and that he had "had his fun".

Kingpin looks like it would have been a decent game from the Visual PinMAME version, but it's no BBB. I'm glad Gene picked this one, even though it has to be 2-3 times more complicated.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
CraigC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Kingpin get done. I still havent played it but from what i've read it sounds real neat.

-c
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way Joe, Welcome to the forum - 'bout time you got here!

Hehe,

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
taypat1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys... Again, I can't believe I didn't get off my lazy behind and get on here sooner... It's really a good group of people.

I totally understand the not setting a date thing. I'm also impressed that they are waiting to ship them all at the same time.. I think that would have been a tricky thing shipping some out then making others wait - I think it's best this way - everyone's on the same level then. I don't mind waiting longer for mine while others get done if I was first up and I think I would feel better if I was last in line. I'm impressed nobody's complaining about that (those who were in first) and it's all for one, one for all.

So, the 111 went up to 183 or whatever and therefore the boardsets that might have been allocated to Kingpin are going into BBB... I can see how that would be a more difficult project. Listen, I'm not complaining, I think it's great the BBBs are getting done... and I really tip my hat to Gene for getting it done. It's a great contribution to the hobby to take this on.

Hopefully this forum and group will stay around long after the game are delivered so this BBB brotherhood can stick together, swap stories, mods, repair tips, trade parts, etc... Is that the plan, Robert ?

Finally, Robert - is there any cost to you for keeping this up ? Don't know if that's been asked before... If so, I would be glad to contribute something to offset the cost. It's the least we all can do for the effort.

Joe
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are glad you finally made it to the group.

You are surround by a wonderful group of people.

We have no time frame for completetion of the games.

With the new company doing such a good job getting the playfields completed we now have a harness issue that they are working thru.

TOG and crew are doing a great job getting the games put together and checking them out to make sure everything works properly.

But sometimes it seems like one step forward one step back.

At least "everyone" knows that the games are being completed.

Have a great day.

kim
pinsane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What Gene told me... Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
When I interviewed Gene last year, he told me that he only had boardsets to do 172 machines. That was part of his decision why he only was going to make 111 BBBs originally, so he could do a smaller run of Kingpin.
-Al-

Al, so what is the answer to the obvious followup question as to how he will build 183 machines with 172 boardsets (assuming he'll have some fallout during manufacturing)? Not a criticism, just truly curious how he resolved this.

awarner wrote:

Kingpin looks like it would have been a decent game from the Visual PinMAME version, but it's no BBB.
-Al-

Many pinheads I know prefer KP to BBB. I don't count myself amongst them, but I think KP is a great pin!

steve SDTM
pinball-sales

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: BBB Reply with quote

I don't care as long as mine has boards in it.
I am sure there is a few boardsets out there ex capcom laying around.
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I got my numbers messed up. 183 was the top number he could build, 172 was the number of machines he had orders for when I talked to him. He wanted to keep some as spares. I might still be off a bit with the details; I edited that video a long time ago...

When I play Kingpin on PinMAME, it has some of the best sound I think I've ever heard in a game and some awesome music, but there was another problem in that the game wasn't completely finished I was told. It would require more engineering. I'd send the deposit tomorrow if Gene said he was making them. Matter of fact, I'm curious as to whether he started it or not since he seemed to allude to it when he announced BBB at Expo 2004.

Anyway, I'm still looking for pictures (or permission to use pictures people posted) in Pins and Vids #2 (#1 details are at

http://www.pinsandvids.com). All money from the sale of the videos on the web site go to the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. There will be at least 1 full hour of BBB coverage in this one. Maybe more if the machines ship before we release.

-Al-
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taypat1 wrote:
Hopefully this forum and group will stay around long after the game are delivered so this BBB brotherhood can stick together, swap stories, mods, repair tips, trade parts, etc... Is that the plan, Robert ?

Finally, Robert - is there any cost to you for keeping this up ? Don't know if that's been asked before... If so, I would be glad to contribute something to offset the cost. It's the least we all can do for the effort.

This forum will stay online permanently.

The forum software was free and I have plenty of space/bandwidth on my site so it's the least I can do for the effort. Thanks for the offer of a contribution but it's not necessary.
BBB #74
bspins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertwinter wrote:
The forum software was free and I have plenty of space/bandwidth on my site so it's the least I can do for the effort. Thanks for the offer of a contribution but it's not necessary.

And may I say a personal "thank you", Robert, for taking over and hosting the BBB forum. Very generous of you to do this.

And you wonder why I pick up and ship stuff for guys like you. It's the least I can do to say thank you.
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: