Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some stuff I'm allowed to share about my trip...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Some stuff I'm allowed to share about my trip... Reply with quote

I really wanted to go on the BBB tour when Gene offered them on two occasions, but my schedule just wasn't working out. I had recently decided that there would be a BBB "Pins and Vids" video chronicalling the process of building from concept to completion. This left me with a big hole from this year since my last interview with Gene was in November of 2005. I asked Kim if I could get some camera time with Gene and she told me to call him directly. I discussed the possibility of doing it with Gene on November 17th and he told me that that should be fine.

I asked my 11 year old Daughter to go with me and she thought it would be nice to have a day off from school. My Daughter and I left on Thursday, the 16th and drove the bulk of the nearly 700 miles between Atlanta and Bloomington. I drove as far as Champaign, IL on Thursday and found a room for the night. The following morning, we drove to Pinball Manufacturing.

Gene was on his way over when we got there and I caught up with TOG who I had met at the 2005 Expo. We walked around and I was looking at more BBBs in one place than have ever been in one place. Gene came by shortly after and we set up in front of the proto machine he's giving to his Doctor. With the camera running, we talked about the various set-backs and what was next. TOG talked a bit off camera, but poked his head in a shot or two. We also talked about playfield production and walked around and saw BBBs in various stages of production.

Gene had some appointments so TOG, Dave, my Daughter and I went out for lunch and Gene picked up the tab. I asked the Million Dollar question - "When do you think they will be done?", I got nothing because they were sworn to secrecy. When we got back, TOG and I discussed even more about the various improvements that had to be made to the game to fix things that hadn't been changed on the plans after the prototypes were made. Everywhere I looked there were mostly finished BBBs. Also, there are people working on our games every day.

Gene said that he expects that there will be some extra machines at the end, but wasn't sure how many at this point. There are some "Gold Editions" available if anyone wants one (contact Gene for details). Gold and brass are the same now (so anyone who bought Proto brass machines got a great deal). They have lost a few boards to wiring issues and such, but only one of the uber valuable CPU boards has fried.

I saw at least 10 people working there the day that I was there and I was told that about 30 different people are working on the game at various times.

Later that night, my Daughter and I went to Gene's Roller Rink and I had a chance to spend some more time with Gene talking pinball.

I want to tell you folks, this is going to be an awesome game. They look incredible and will be an awesome addition to our collections. Gene has gone the extra mile to make this live up to the legend. Also, Gene and Company took great care of me and my Daughter while I was there - These are great people my friends.

Al
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
latecomer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Al, appreciate the information as always. Amazing to hear there might be a few spare machines - I would have thought the "waiting list" would have snapped them up??? Any idea of the price? Perhaps that is the sticking point?

Regards
Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
Kronis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Al- sounds like another great interview. I can't wait to see the video. It's always good news to hear the games are being worked on and completed; it's all I can do not to call up IPB and ask them the status of #21 (either answer would frustrate the hell out of me).

I hadn't expected more than a handful of extra BBB's to be produced at the end, due to the Capcom board supply problem. Perhaps Gene & co. are further along on the re-design of those parts for Kingpin, and something else (e.g. playfields, tube dancer toy) are now the limiting factor...?

BBB #21
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Clarification... Reply with quote

When I said there would be some "Spare" machines I meant that there would be some for people on the waiting list, but Gene had always said that some key numbers would be Gold Editions. I think that they did not all get sold so they are available outside the waiting list. They are not cheap, but ifd someone had a lot of money and wanted to be sure they were getting one...

Gene did say that we will find out about the delivery date when the shipping company calls us to arrange delivery (people who are picking up will get a phone call from PMI).

After seeing what I have seen and thinking about it, I really think that the date is close. I don't know how close but it seems like they really have the process down now and it's just putting the stuff together and testing in the way.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
raypanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Some stuff I'm allowed to share about my trip... Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
Gold and brass are the same now (so anyone who bought Proto brass machines got a great deal).

Can you clarify this for me? I bought a "brass" Model am I now getting something different?

Thanks,

Ray
#002 Brass Prototype
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Some stuff I'm allowed to share about my trip... Reply with quote

raypanic wrote:
awarner wrote:
Gold and brass are the same now (so anyone who bought Proto brass machines got a great deal).

Can you clarify this for me? I bought a "brass" Model am I now getting something different?

Thanks,

Ray

Ray,
There were 3 versions offered:
Black =Regular production version w/ black trim (4500).
Brass =Polished brass trimmed w/ Prototype pfld (7500).
Gold =Real gold plated trim w/ Prototype pfld (12000).

The confusion is created by people refering to the "gold colored" appearance of polished brass...

To my knowledge, no one ordered the Gold version so the Brass has become the "Gold" (colored) version...

Does this help???
TOG
awarner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TOG! And Gene mentioned that at the time there were three more "Gold Editions" available for $12K if anyone wanted them. Since Brass is called Gold now, looks like Brass buyers saved $4500!!!

Awesome!
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
Thanks TOG! And Gene mentioned that at the time there were three more "Gold Editions" available for $12K if anyone wanted them. Since Brass is called Gold now, looks like Brass buyers saved $4500!!!

Awesome!

Well, if someone wanted gold plating, I'm pretty sure Gene would make that version... Rolling Eyes

Make note that those were pre-paid prices...
With the cost over-runs this project has encurred, Gene may as well have taped a stack of bills to each machine before boxing...
(just my opinion)
awarner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with TOG more! Some of my friends who were also BBB buyers, were wondering about a "3rd Payment" possibly being requested a long time ago. Gene and Georgianna both assured us that "that was the price and that they would "eat" any additional costs." They are really great, honest people we're dealing with here. PMI is proving that!

-Al-
raypanic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a little confused, Are there only two versions being produced now? ie: black and gold (old brass) or black and brass (no gold) Rolling Eyes
#002 Brass Prototype
awarner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'm sorry I said anything.

Gene offered Gold, Brass, and Black originally.

Gold was supposed to have $4K worth of Real Gold in them.

Gene had reserved certain numbers AS Gold.

Nobody spent $12K for the Gold machines.

Some people bought Brass.

Gene made the Gold Machines in Brass because they had been set aside as Gold but since they hadn't been purchased saw no sense in the extra expense.

Brass and Gold are now the same machines. If you bought a "Brass" machine, you are getting what is called a "Gold".

The 3 unbought "Gold" machines that are now built in Brass are for sale for $12K (seems fair since it is now 2 years later).

All machines will ship at the same time.
raypanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining this for me, now I get it.
#002 Brass Prototype
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: