Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outhole kicker gets stuck (jammed) out, after kicking ball.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhayes1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Outhole kicker gets stuck (jammed) out, after kicking ball. Reply with quote

Problem: On two occasions the outhole kicker lever arm (solenoid assembly) gets stuck in the ball kicked position and subsequent balls cannot fall into outhole because the kicker arm is in the way. I thought the outhole switch was catching on the outhole kicker, but it wasn't.

Observation: Ater removing the bottom apron the problem would correct itself. I noticed that a screw was missing from the ball guide that is located immediately behind the outhole. The screw was the right hand one that would align the ball guide precisely with the ball trough.

If a ball was returned forcefully to the outhole it would hit the unsecured ball guide an push the guide backwards. Occasionally the screw mounting tab on the ball guide would get stuck upon the baseplate to the outhole kicking mechanism and wedge the top of the ball guide to the bottom of the apron. The out of position ball guide would then bind with the outhole kicking mechanism. The underside of the apron showed minor scratches from where the ball guide would get stuck.

Solution: Aligh ball guide with ball trough. Insert missing screw and ball guide is secured. (There was no pilot hole on my game for the ball guide screw.)

This was a minor issue with an easy fix.

Rob Hayes
BBB #18
awarner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the assembly company missed it. The playfields were assembled in Chicago, the cabinets in Bloomington. Good thing you're a master pinball tech Rob!! <grin>

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
just plain rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Outhole kicker gets stuck (jammed) out, after kicking ba Reply with quote

rhayes1 wrote:
The out of position ball guide would then bind with the outhole kicking mechanism. The underside of the apron showed minor scratches from where the ball guide would get stuck.

Solution: Aligh ball guide with ball trough. Insert missing screw and ball guide is secured. (There was no pilot hole on my game for the ball guide screw.)

Rob Hayes
BBB #18

This happened to me too as well--drove me nutty why it would free the kicker every time I removed the apron, which I thought was the culprit. I didn't have a pilot hole as well. I should have posted this, I suppose, but your explanation was elegant.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Outhole kicker gets stuck (jammed) out, after kicking ba Reply with quote

rhayes1 wrote:
Problem: On two occasions the outhole kicker lever arm (solenoid assembly) gets stuck in the ball kicked position and subsequent balls cannot fall into outhole because the kicker arm is in the way. I thought the outhole switch was catching on the outhole kicker, but it wasn't.

Observation: Ater removing the bottom apron the problem would correct itself. I noticed that a screw was missing from the ball guide that is located immediately behind the outhole. The screw was the right hand one that would align the ball guide precisely with the ball trough.

If a ball was returned forcefully to the outhole it would hit the unsecured ball guide an push the guide backwards. Occasionally the screw mounting tab on the ball guide would get stuck upon the baseplate to the outhole kicking mechanism and wedge the top of the ball guide to the bottom of the apron. The out of position ball guide would then bind with the outhole kicking mechanism. The underside of the apron showed minor scratches from where the ball guide would get stuck.

This was a minor issue with an easy fix.

Rob Hayes
BBB #18

Can you post a picture for those of us who need visual aid? Smile
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have just tonight noticed that balls draining are not getting fed up the ball trough as the kicker is not retracking back. I believe this is the same problem and will check it out tomorrow... late now. Any tips on apron removal or anything else? Thank you.

John
just plain rob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrrrrrr wrote:
I too have just tonight noticed that balls draining are not getting fed up the ball trough as the kicker is not retracking back. I believe this is the same problem and will check it out tomorrow... late now. Any tips on apron removal or anything else? Thank you.

John

Just prop the PF up GENTLY on the little PF holder and remove the necessary apron screws. You will probably see a tab from the rear left bottom ball guide without a screw in its hole. The guide is freely sliding back and jamming the little kicker. You can look 100 times and swear it isn't, but it is... Razz
Align and hold with one hand, self-tap a screw with the other.
Always be careful how hard you press down on the PF when it's on that prop bar.
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Had no idea there was a little playfield holder... cool. Would not want to leave it up on this very long as it twists the playfield... but very handy.

It would be nice if one could add another holder (prop) to the other side.

Will try the fix tonight. Thanks, Rob.

John
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... got that fixed. Not sure if this is the same as what Rob had going on. I'm not great on pinball part terms so excuse my not using the best terms here. The ball kicker mech was attached to my playfield with 3 screws... there is a hole for a 4th screw but undrilled. I couldn't see what was binding when I got the apron off. So I tried resetting the ball kicker mech as far toward the playfield in one case and toward the coin door in another case... sure enough when positioned toward the playfield I spotted where the binding occurs. The post at the end of the white delrin arm (where the right end of the spring attaches) was binding on the v shaped (ball return guide?) and would not reset. Simple fix... moved the ballkicker mech as far south (toward coin door) as possible and set the first screw near the bind point then set the other 2 screws. Then loosened the one screw holding the v shaped (ball return guide?) and refastened it when positioned a little north (away from coin door). Now there is no clearance problem. I didn't add the 4th screw to the kicker mech... but will if it ever binds again. This probably matches Robs description but in newbie terms. Quite satisfying to be able to find the problem and nice that the fix was so easy.

Back to big bangin

John
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed my mind and put the fourth screw in. Noted that it was difficult to screw in the upper right screw so switched it to stainless with a real slotted head. Have never seen sheet metal type screws with phantom slots before lol. In this case the screw didn't tighten well with a nut driver but once changed to stainless with a good slot got it nice and snug. Also changed the two steel machine screws to stainless on the front of the apron which attach the apron to the playfield hangers. Both of the steel screws were stripped, stainless should help.

John
pmwolf3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a problem with the kicker getting "hung up"...but it wasn't hanging on the V shaped ball guide.

Mine was getting hung up on the ball trough switch.

(It didn't happen much, but when the kicker would hit just right, and the switch would pop up too far, they'd catch each other).

I just bent the switch down a hair. The ball still triggers it to let the game know it drained, but the kicker can't hang up on it any more.

Hope this helps someone. Looks like there are a lot of different things that could happen to get this problem.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: