Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

side decal issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unigroove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: side decal issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a question about how to handle side decals. On my BBB I tried to prevent damage around the leg areas by using folded beercoasters to soften the pressure of the legs. That works well, but still the decals got damaged as in wrinkles in the decal around the leg. Bummer Sad
So I was thinking: if I screw the legs to the cabinet, take a razorblade and cut the decals around the leg, there wont be any pressure on the part of the decal that is not covered by the leg. (you still following me?) What usually happens: legs get screwed to cabinet, game is put in place and the legs moves during play. This causes the decal to move and cause wrinkles. So if the decal is no longer attached to the area covered by the legs, it can't cause any wrinkles. Right?

Now before i put a razorblade in my BBB side art, if I am not correct, please stop me now Smile

All comments and suggestions are welcome

cheers

Jonathan
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find a set of cabinet protectors made from Sintra plastic; I know Big Time Cabinets sells them, and others probably do as well. (There's also a person on your side of the pond - possibly Germany - that sells clear polycarbonate ones.) These cover the entire area under the leg and extend a slight bit (1/8th of an inch) past the leg so there's no chance of the leg rubbing against the cabinet applique.

There are also felt versions of the cabinet protectors available, but I think the plastic ones would be better in this application.

Tony
BBB #39
Swann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the razorblade thingy, works fine, no wrinkles and the game gets it's fair share of playing since it's on location.
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
bspins

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of others that have used the razorblade trick with success. I've done many decal jobs and have used the felt protectors with no damage or wrinkling to the decals.

If there's already damage, you may want to go with the plastic ones as others have suggested.

Beer coaster??????
Bryan Kelly Former BBB #123
blubboman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the razor blade on my MB when I noticed the decals pulling and starting to tear. Since I did that, they haven't got any worse. The MB is a game in my collection so it doesn't get a ton of play.
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've successfully used the razor blade technique in the past, but I now use the Sintra PinCab protectors exclusively on all my games.
BBB #74
Bertl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, when you lift your BBB from the side with your hands. The bottom ist straight and not planed off, so it's possible that you peel off the side decals a little bit!

Brgds
Norbert
BBB94

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my own felt protectors, so I can use custom matched colors. For BBB I used light green on the front and dark blue on the back legs. I always check the inside edges of my legs for burrs or sharp edges and file them smooth as needed. I have not had any additional decal wrinkling thus far on any of my machines, but if I notice any new wrinkling on any machines, then BBB will be in for an emergency plastic (sintra) "upgrade".
just plain rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute--
Did he say that BBB was on *location*?

I'm shocked. Shocked
Well, I hope it's earning you good money... still...
metallik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to avoid wrinkles is to install the legs properly. When installing them, make *sure* they are as far up on the game as they will go. If the game is on a lift table or the like, the legs will want to hang from the bolts.. this is bad, as they will push up the cabinet as soon as the game is lowered to the ground and pull/wrinkle the decals. Before (and while) tightening the bolts, push up on the leg, maybe even tap the bottom of the leveler with a hammer, to ensure ALL of the slop in the hole is underneath the bolt. Tighten the bolts firmly, lower the game and enjoy wrinkle-free play :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: