Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

main ramp: backhandable or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metallik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: main ramp: backhandable or not? Reply with quote

Got my game set up in such a manner that the ramp isn't backhandable. Flippers aligned with inlane angle, strength of 11, a little steeper than 6.5 degrees. Ramp is easily made from a good right-flipper shot, but a backhand makes it about 3/4 up and comes back. A buddy of mine (Josh) who has played a fair amount of BBBs, incuding Capcom ones back on test in the 90s says the ramp should be backhandable I say no - the ramp is very steep and is angled directly at the right flipper.. if you have the ball on the left, you should go for the orbit, ballbusters, 1bank, Dartz or 3bank. If you need the ramp badly enough, post pass or find another way to get it to the rt flipper. He says since most machines he's seen can make this shot and because the ramp is so important, it should be makeable from either flipper.

So.. curious who else can backhand this on their games.. either from a cradle or a feed. Also curious what the designers intended here.. anyone ever ask the team this question? Do any of the design team read the forum here?
Big bang bar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to back hand that shot!
Walter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a dead stop I can't backhand the ramp.

In certain ball in motion situations though, I can get the ball up the ramp with the left flipper.

Walter
pinsane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is supposed to be a backhandable shot. The designer told me that they would have contests at Capcom to see how many times they could "loop" the ramp off the left flipper during the tube dancer jackpot mode.

Personally, I prefer setting the flipper strength up so that the ramp is just barely backhandable with no ballsave on a ramp-drain. That adds some risk to that shot.

steve SDTM
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've backhanded the ramp a few times from the left flipper, but I find it very difficult to do regularly, as most times the shot either totally misses the ramp all together or goes up 3/4 way and falls down.
metallik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my game is similar to others.. I have backhanded it from the left side, but generally while the ball is in motion and has a little momentum. Doing so from a cradle almost never works, and with no ramp save, it's asking for trouble :) I don't think I'd like it the way the designers wanted it, with backhands available from feeds, so likely will not change things much. Seems the game would be too easy that way. Of course, my machine seems to have gotten cranky and is kicking everyone's ass right now... :p Yellow flipper rubber looks VERY nice, especially with the stickers on the flippers as contrast, but man, hard to control the ball!
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is occasionally backhandable.
unigroove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted the flipperstrenghth to 9. That way I can make the ramp with the right flipper, but hardly with the left. I figured the ramp shot is the hardest to make, but there is no need to speed the ball on the playfield and risk breaking things. At 8 I could not make the ramp, so 9 is fast enough for me.
zaphod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: I like no easy backhand Reply with quote

I could easily backhand the ramp with the default flipper strength. I think the game is too easy when you can backhand the ramp shot. I turned down the flipper strength until I could just make the ramp shot from the right flipper. Then I set the game mode to hard, and a few features even harder. I have not been able to get to the Big Bang since. I will feel like I accomplished something when I finally get to the Big Bang again.
Former BBB #115 owner.
don merki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All day long on factory settings. On 7 only on a pass or moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: