Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playfield dimpling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Playfield dimpling question Reply with quote

Had a lot of dimples after 30 games. Set flipper strength to 10. Still getting a lot of dimpling after 60 games.

Do you just move it back to a setting of 12 and not worry about them?

Looked at my HUO WCS 94 with 4000 plays on it and it has TONS of dimples!

Paul
runner1717

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sad part about playing a new game......... the dimples........

The good news, after a couple thousand games you won't see them anymore. The whole playfield will be one big dimple.......

Flipper strength doesn't do it, airballs do.

Don't worry about it..............enjoy the game!
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 38 games played and lots of dimples Sad

I just turned my flippers down from 14 to 10, today.

Also, take a close look at the ball drop areas behinds flippers. Mine is DIMPLED badly. I cut a quarter sized piece of mylar and placed it there yesterday. I should have done that BEFORE my 1st game. Also, I added a small strip of mylar under the ramp flap approx 2 1/4" x 3/8".

BTW: I had Cliffy & Martin over to my home yesterday. They tore into my game and are making easy break plastic protectors, for all the venerable pieces. These clear plastic protectors should extend approx. 1/8" all around the plastic. They would take the hit and not the precious playfield plastics.

I would love to hear from any Overseas BBB owners on any areas that have rec'vd damage, as a result of direct hits and/or air balls. Any body of there have any advice or updates???

I have decided not to play my game until it is protected.

Kerry Richard #111

Last edited by Kerry Richard on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Playfield dimpling question Reply with quote

I had Krazybastard and PT from RGP playing my game today. They are both pretty sharp guys and came up with the same concerns about breaking plastics.

Krazy cut mylar pieces and put them in drop area. Also put a piece under the flap of ramp. Check this area because flap is elevated in that spot.

Also spent a lot of time tweaking pop bumper.

Game is playing flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with my purchase!!!

Laughing Paul
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm being overly lazy, but I'd really like to see someone put together a mylar kit for this game with all the pieces cut out so people can just slap them on their games.
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Also, take a close look at the ball drop areas behinds flippers. Mine is DIMPLED badly. I cut a quarter sized piece of mylar and placed it there yesterday. >>

Where is this? Is this where the ramp drops them?

Is there a master list of places that need mylar?

So far I have heard:
1. Ball drops from ramps.
2. Dartz kickout
3. Under ramp flap.
4. ?ball eject lane

Does it need anything around the pop bumpers?

Another question, John Harr suggested using the pinballpal removable vinyl protectors instead of mylar. Anyone have any experience with these on the playfield. I use them on the side cabinets around the buttons and think they are great for that.

Ross
unigroove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm overseas Smile

I think I posted on this forum last year already what areas should be protected. Mylar in the inlanes where the ball drops. Also in front of the Dartz kickout, as that spot will wear in time.

When I was at IPB in 2005 I understood from the Bearcave boys that clearcoated playfield tend to dimple more. So that is also the case with BBB. It helps to wax the playfield regularly.

I also protected the droptarget decals with pieces of mylar as I did not order extra decals.

I advise to 'protect' the aliens with some sort of transparent paint, as the paint on them comes loose easily.

Further I protected the area around the flipper buttons.
Initially I had beercoasters inbetween the legs and cabinet, but got wrinckles in the side art. When I removed the beercoasters and cut the shape of the legs on the side, it even wrinkled further Sad Since I noticed that I removed the legs from the front. Have to see what I can do about it.

What I also adjusted: switches for popbumpers and slingshots to react at the slightest touch. Love the action Smile
martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimpling is a fact of life in pinball. My belief is that it comes primarily from high airballs - and Capcom flippers are powerful enough to make that happen. The problem is, the game is such fun at level 14.

Some dimpling pictures, 48 games in:

http://www.iobium.com/BBB/IMGP0525.JPG

So here's what we did. The airballs are mostly coming from the two targets at the entrance to the ramp. So we put some energy-absorbing foam behind the targets.

http://www.iobium.com/BBB/IMGP0698.JPG

The foam is stuck to the rubber - less than optimum. Now that I think about it, it could be stuck to the back of the target.

With this foam in place, you can play with your flippers set at 14 and see very few airballs. There's a lot of resistance there, but the flippers can easily overcome it and score. The foam play tests just fine.

The foam is also a great replacement for the rubbery material that is on the game; we selected this foam because of its ability to absorb most of the energy of a high-speed ball, and yet recover its shape.

In terms of mylar, you must cover the Cosmic Dartz insert.

http://www.iobium.com/BBB/IMGP0580.JPG

I wasn't able to catch the right light for the dimples, but the eject will plow a furrow there fairly quickly if not protected in some way. On Kerry's machine, the ball consistently hits the insert.

And a picture of what we cut for under the ramp:

http://www.iobium.com/BBB/IMGP0533.JPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: