Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My game has not worked from day one!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marspinball

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: My game has not worked from day one!! Reply with quote

Can IPB help with repairs. I may need a new board.

My first post:
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529

Game ejects two balls into play, then game/ball ends when first ball drains and other related intermittent ball issues.

I have re-flowed solder on the trough boards and all four opto switches seem to work fine and I am able to see the OPTO's glow with a digital camera. All switches appear in correct state and work in switch test mode.

Does anyone have a number to contact IPB??

I have not had time to really work on this since I have had important work deadlines, construction that impeded acess to the game room, and taking care of my GF who had back surgery last month. I'm ready to start working on this but don't know what to do next!!

I would love to be able to play my game. right now it just looks pretty.

If anyone has any constructive help either technical or who to contact at IPB to get some spare parts,, PLEASE help.

Thanks, Martin.
BBB #131
just plain rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My game has not worked from day one!! Reply with quote

marspinball wrote:
Can IPB help with repairs. I may need a new board.

My first post:
http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529

Game ejects two balls into play, then game/ball ends when first ball drains and other related intermittent ball issues.

I have re-flowed solder on the trough boards and all four opto switches seem to work fine and I am able to see the OPTO's glow with a digital camera. All switches appear in correct state and work in switch test mode.

Martin: did you reflow solder to both transmitter and receiver boards (I realize you say they test fine)?
If you tap the edges of the installed boards with a screwdriver, while in switch test mode, do the opto switches go in and out or are they stable? I'm trying to make them fail with simulated vibration, obviously.

I have doubts about the camera usage technique because if an opto flicked on and off, you wouldn't probably see it; however, the cpu would know it.
May be a bad (no manual near me) switch at the bottom of the drain. Just had one on a Breakshot go bad on me. It was doing the same thing you describe and the first thing I thought was optos--but it wasn't.

Just some ideas and if I come up with anything, I'll post--let's get this fixed...
SpecialwhenLit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds just like the problem I was having. The 2nd alien was dropping the locked ball during play messing up the ball count. It would do just what you are describing. Examples like one ball draining ending that ball while another ball was still in play, two balls in the shooter lane, etc. I ended up installing a piece of foam rubber to ever so lightly rub up against the surface of the white gear. Preventing the alien from rotating that quarter turn and losing the ball, but not stopping the normal rotation of the aliens. I haven't had a ball search or a stacked shooter lane since. Here's another symptom I was having. The second locked ball (usually the fist alien) would not go in his mouth. because of the slop in the assembly. Now everything works as it should.

I bet it solves the problems.

Evan K.
Seattle, WA.
BBB #49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: