Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone install the Cliffy protector??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marspinball

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone install the Cliffy protector?? Reply with quote

If you installed the protector please post how it went and how did it fit.
BBB #131
digger47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one it was simple, had to lift the playfield to get at one post nut,
and it fit kind of tight but I guess its made to do that. I took maybe 25 min. max.
BBB #2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like all Cliffy protectors...went well and fit perfect
BBB #2
marspinball

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install the Cliffy protector?? Reply with quote

marspinball wrote:
If you installed the protector please post how it went and how did it fit.

I installed it tonight and it appears not flush in front (I can easily stick my finger under it.

The part of the protector under the flipper, especially at the top is not flush at all with the PF and a lot worse than the front.

I have taken both post and ball guide off and loosened and re-tightened in different order and it still seems to come out the same way. Also put a larger/thicker washer under the screw attached to the ballguide (between the PF and guide) since the original was warped a bit.

I also had to move the wood screw in the ball guide since the original hole was under one of the metal tabs when the guide was properly lined up.

Are your protectors flush with the PF?? Do they move when you press down on them.. in the front and under the flipper???
BBB #131
BBB #2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine needed to be reformed a bit but was easy to do and only required minor adjustments.
BBB #2
tomterlec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the past 2 hours trying to fit the protector. I have followed the instructions exactly and it just does not line up correctly. I also have the same issue with the hole for the ball guide being covered no matter how I try to fit the protector. I really don't want to put a new screw hole in the PF. I just seems a bit off.

Anyone else have this issue?

Tom
BBB #136
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffy is a good guy and stands behind his protectors. Give him a shout or email. He'll make it right.

Jack #58
tomterlec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have sent Cliffy an e-mail, I have to think something is different with my game or the protector is a little off.

Tom
Cliffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protectors are all laser cut so they are all the same. However, when I make the tab bends they can vary as I do them in a brake by hand. If I've bent them too tight, ie, too close to the hole edges, they may warp or not let the holes line up. My template is used on every single protector but apparently it's not tight enough to prevent some boo boos.

I don't frequent this forum too much so please email me when you have problems. I only found out there was a problem because someone else told me of the discussion here. I cannot fix things if no one tells me. I do all I can to make things right, believe me. And in the end if you just don't like what I make I always give a full refund.
pinballlew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be protector day as I tried installing mine too. Anyways I sent a email off to Cliffy. -Mike
Cliffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm at a loss here. I make these things and fit them to a laser cut template before they go out but if they aren't fitting I don't know what else to do. Refunds all around, I suppose Smile Sorry guys. Martin and I sure tried on this one.
marspinball

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffy wrote:
Well I'm at a loss here. I make these things and fit them to a laser cut template before they go out but if they aren't fitting I don't know what else to do. Refunds all around, I suppose Smile Sorry guys. Martin and I sure tried on this one.

Cliffy

Mine wouldn't fit right either. It did not come with the two washers. I had to use a dime sized washer for the post attached the the ball guide and another small washer under the ball guide where the top mounted screw goes. Once even pressure was applied it seemed to fit correctly. Also note that the original hole for screw was now under one of the small tabs that the screw was supposed to go through. I just centered the screw (new hole) with the protector. I did not like having to make another hole in the PF but the old hole is under the protector and will never be seen again.
BBB #131
latecomer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that a little finessing was all that was needed to get this in nicely. After screwing in the post, adding the other screws etc took it out of shape. Loosed that off, then tried the other screws first. A little jiggling and what looked like a mis-shapen protector was perfectly flush.

Cheers,
Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
Cliffy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only differences I can think of will be the wood screw hole for the ball guide and possibly the thickness of the clear topcoat on the inside edges of the routing. As you can see on my web page the protector sits perfectly flat and with perfect alignment on Kerry Richard's game. All I can do at this point is make the fold-in tabs back a smidge from the edges to allow a little wiggle room. I could up the post tab and hole size a bit too and probbaly just eliminate the forks under the guide as I think the washer is big enough to rest on the lip without the worry of aligning the forks.

As for the lifting at the front, the problem here is there is no direct place to put a fold-under tab. It is to the far right, the only place we could put it. You can pretension that edge of the protector so that when installed it is pushing down against the playfield. Thats the only way to do it other than using 3M 467MP adhesive tape on the bottom of the protector. I could include a strip of that if people thought it a good idea but I'm aware most would not. We didn't have to do this on Kerry's game so I know they can sit flush without adhesive. But, if anyone wants to use it, I'll include it. I'm just trying to make you guys happy Smile
Cliffy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marspinball wrote:

Cliffy
Mine wouldn't fit right either. It did not come with the two washers. I had to use a dime sized washer for the post attached the the ball guide and another small washer under the ball guide where the top mounted screw goes. Once even pressure was applied it seemed to fit correctly. Also note that the original hole for screw was now under one of the small tabs that the screw was supposed to go through. I just centered the screw (new hole) with the protector. I did not like having to make another hole in the PF but the old hole is under the protector and will never be seen again.

Sorry I left out the washers! I usually double check everything before I send things out but in a mad rush I may have skipped yours. I apologize. Your mention of having to relocate a screw hole is what makes me wonder if they aren't all a little different there. I know the routing and post holes were all CNC milled but maybe the dimpler they used isn't as precise. Although too late in your case I will recommend now that if anyone else runs into this problem that they simply snip the fork off the protector rather than drill a new hole. The washer under the guide should still clamp on the edge of the protector well enough. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for your troubles. Next time email me first please Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: