Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Gene's Tube Rings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Installing Gene's Tube Rings Reply with quote

I love to install reversable mods on games. Almost every mod I have on my various games can be reversed with no visible signs. That said, the tube rings that I got from Gene presented a little challenge. They were well cut, but there is really nothing holding them in place. They suggested a little drop of glue on the bottom. This goes way against my "reversable" deally.

I got this idea, what if they made clear, transparent rubber bands and I could put them in front of and behind the rings like a little gasket. I went on eBay and found them in England. Since I live in the US - I thought this can't be that hard. They were listed as being used for hair so I decided to check Walmart and various chain drug stores. Walgreens had them on the website:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100745&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod849691

They also had them in store across the street from where I work.

Putting them on took some figuring. I took out the green tube, really easy, just 1 screw holds it in (but you want to disconnect the switch at the connector below the playfield first). The plastic rivits holding the brackets on have a center pin that you can grab with precision needle-nose pliers and pull out. I took off the switch side.

Then I slid on a band and flattened it as well as possible, then I used a ring to position it it evenly. Next, another bad behind and I put on anothe ring to push it evenly against the previous ring. Now I had the ring sitting between two clear rubber bands and it wasn't moving. I just repeated the process for the remaining rings and the last one took a little bit of work, but i got it up to where it needed to be. The rings don't budge and they should be easily removed without damage if I ever have to remove them.

The rubber bands are there and you can see them, but they don't really detract from the overall look. I'll take a picture and post it tomorrow.

-Al-

PS - To put the ramp back on, just reverse the process. To get the wire back through the hole, get some of those clamps that look like long pliers and use them to grab the wire through the hole or use some needle nose pliers. Just pull it through and reconnect. Beats taking everything apart!
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
Cliffy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the rubber bands will deteriorate and snap in fairly short order. The rings should have been made a friction fit, as are ours. You could use a dab of clear silicone as it is removable. Use the pure silicone, 100% RTV. Do NOT use the stuff that says "silicone adhesive"
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 3 or 4 pieces of clear "scotch tape" inside each ring. Trimmed excess off so that tape is only on the inside of the ring and invisible. This added just a touch of inside diameter thickness to each ring. Fits very snug.

I also found 6 rings were perfect. More than that and the rings are so close together, it looks "busy". 6 rings allows the right balance of green tube and orange rings without the rings taking over. (my opinion)

Jack #58
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about silicone clear caulk, I can usually peel that stuff off if I need to...

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: